SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jul 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,711 of 2,082
I have just purchased the M&D MW65 to replace my B&O P7...

It sounds fantastic connected to an iPhone with AAC. If you have the budget for it, I assure you you will not be sorry.

I'm considering these, but I have a few reservations based on research

- It seems like the fit is problematic for smaller heads. I'm a hat size 7/56cm head so on the smaller side...
- Call quality is supposed to be terrible (important for me as I'm a remote employee and spend like 10+ hours a week in meetings)
- Some reported connection issues
- Not firmware updatable so the above 2 issues have no chance of being fixed outside a hardware revision.

All that said, it does seem to be universal that these are tops in SQ, so they're not *total* dealbreakers (I have Airpods that work well enough on calls). I probably won't use them out and about so the fit has to be secure enough while stationary.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #1,712 of 2,082

- It seems like the fit is problematic for smaller heads. I'm a hat size 7/56cm head so on the smaller side...
- Call quality is supposed to be terrible (important for me as I'm a remote employee and spend like 10+ hours a week in meetings)
- Not firmware updatable so the above 2 issues have no chance of being fixed outside a hardware revision.

All that said, it does seem to be universal that these are tops in SQ, so they're not *total* dealbreakers (I have Airpods that work well enough on calls). I probably won't use them out and about so the fit has to be secure enough while stationary.

They are fw updatable and I’ve had no connection issues. Don’t know about call quality, never use them for that.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #1,713 of 2,082
They are fw updatable and I’ve had no connection issues. Don’t know about call quality, never use them for that.

Are you sure? The manual nor reviews makes no mention of this. Where can I find info on that? If so I'm happy to put up with some niggles if M&D can fix down the road.

EDIT: I'm talking about the M&D MW65, not the WH1000xm3. Sorry I didn't quote an earlier part of the post that mentioned that.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #1,714 of 2,082
I also work remote and use them daily for meetings. I personally think call quality is very good. And I have not heard any complains from people I am talking to.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #1,716 of 2,082
Are you sure? The manual nor reviews makes no mention of this. Where can I find info on that? If so I'm happy to put up with some niggles if M&D can fix down the road.

EDIT: I'm talking about the M&D MW65, not the WH1000xm3. Sorry I didn't quote an earlier part of the post that mentioned that.

They are fw updated through the Sony app on iOS or Android devices and yes I’m sure, I’ve myself updated to latest fw when I got mine, I think there have been 2 or 3 fw releases. It is also mentioned in the manual

09902837-A253-4520-8D55-2DE24283F0B3.jpeg

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,718 of 2,082
They are fw updated...

Again, I was referring to the M&D MW65 as you can see in the post of mine you quoted. It was discussed in the last page. But yes this thread is not for these so I'll refrain saying anything further unless the OP responds to my concerns.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #1,719 of 2,082
Again, I was referring to the M&D MW65 as you can see in the post of mine you quoted. It was discussed in the last page. But yes this thread is not for these so I'll refrain saying anything further unless the OP responds to my concerns.

Fine. I made my comment before you edited yours.

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #1,721 of 2,082
I doubt it. Bose and Sony are able to come up with a chip that produces the best ANC performance, and they are not licensing it (selling chips that others companies can use). No other companies will come close to these two companies in terms of ANC performance. If a company like Qualcomm comes up with a competitive ANC chip, the market would be very competitive.
I don't mind if ANC is not as good, I'm just looking for a decent ANC + Bluetooth + Type C headphone. I've only seen Bluedio but people say they sound bad and have a shady reputation. Something like Edifier, Mixder Cowin or Taotronics but with Type C charging. Take the Takstar Pro 82 drivers or something...

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #1,722 of 2,082
I don't mind if ANC is not as good, I'm just looking for a decent ANC + Bluetooth + Type C headphone. I've only seen Bluedio but people say they sound bad and have a shady reputation. Something like Edifier, Mixder Cowin or Taotronics but with Type C charging. Take the Takstar Pro 82 drivers or something...
Get an older model Bose, QC25. Nevermind, you want wireless.

Jul 19, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #1,723 of 2,082

All valid concerns. I actually demoed them at Magnolia in Best Buy, so you could at least determine if the fit is good for you and if you like the sound signature if you have one near you.

I like the ability to make calls as well. I think call quality is ok, based on people I've called and asking their opinion. I have not tested when I am on the other end of the line. I could test that out for you if you'd like, but there may be better headsets for calls.

I have not had any connection issues. I typically commute through subways and busy spaces in NYC. With bluetooth headphones, I typically listen on an iPhone to Qobuz offline at 44/16 - which is then encoded into AAC. If you are using them at home, you won't have any issues.

They do have the ability to plug in a lighting, USB-C or standard 3.5MM cable and will fit most aftermarket ones. You could play around with cables that have a mic if you are not happy with the call quality via bluetooth.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #1,725 of 2,082
Unless you physically get them wet (pool, beach) the typical Florida humidity will not damage them. I used to live in Florida until 3 weeks ago and used them without issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back