SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
May 7, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #1,636 of 2,082
Lap0The discussion was about the LDAC bitrate setting in Developer Options.

I leave it at the default (best effort), and I don't hear an improvement when I set it to 990/909.

Do you see a different screen from what I posted above (screenshot from Galaxy S9 running Android 9)? I don't have a playback quality labeled "standard". What type of phone do you have?

The "standard" in my settings is 660 / 606. The problem is solved after a few tries. Now it is always set to 660 / 606 instead of 990 / 909. Probably it was a glitch. Six hundred-something kb/s is virtually CD quality anyway. Good connection and good bit rate, best of both worlds.

May 9, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #1,637 of 2,082
May 9, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #1,639 of 2,082
If it sounds anything like the MH40 I will pass. I expected so much based on reading reviews and when I finally heard it I couldn't believe how underwhelming the signature was. I know others seem to like it very much, but I couldn't for the life of me find anything about the sound that I thought was noteworthy. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

May 10, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,640 of 2,082
No AAC ? Pass ...
Wow... I didn’t even notice that. Yeah that’s a non-starter.

If it sounds anything like the MH40 I will pass. I expected so much based on reading reviews and when I finally heard it I couldn't believe how underwhelming the signature was. I know others seem to like it very much, but I couldn't for the life of me find anything about the sound that I thought was noteworthy.
That’s disappointing. I’ve never heard any M&D products firsthand—it was initially the materials and physical design that caught my attention. I like the prospect of a warmish-neutral sound, but not a boring one.

May 10, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,641 of 2,082
No AAC ? Pass ...
A $500 Bluetooth headphone with only SBC and aptX is inexcusable.

A few years ago I had an MW60 (the predecessor without ANC), before deciding that I really needed ANC for my commute. The sound was good, but not good enough to make me want an MW65. I will say that it was an exquisitely built, luxurious item.

May 10, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,642 of 2,082

That’s disappointing. I’ve never heard any M&D products firsthand—it was initially the materials and physical design that caught my attention. I like the prospect of a warmish-neutral sound, but not a boring one.
Yes, same here, loved the design and build, but I have to say the sound did not in anyway match the aesthetics, not for me anyway.

May 10, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,643 of 2,082
A few years ago I had an MW60 (the predecessor without ANC), before deciding that I really needed ANC for my commute. The sound was good, but not good enough to make me want an MW65. I will say that it was an exquisitely built, luxurious item.
I've come to the same conclusion when I've tried non-ANC headphones for my daily commute. Going back to the P7W now is really difficult for that reason—there are so many stretches where I can't hear enough of what I'm listening to due to outside noise. It still kinda blows my mind how good the XM3 ANC is, and how just a little hit to dynamic range is such a small price to pay to have a consistent volume level.
Yes, same here, loved the design and build, but I have to say the sound did not in anyway match the aesthetics, not for me anyway.
I do appreciate what B&W and M&D are doing with premium materials, but I've always enjoyed B&W's somewhat heavy tuning as it seems easier to walk that back with EQ vs. take a more neutral signature and punch it up.

May 10, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,644 of 2,082
I do appreciate what B&W and M&D are doing with premium materials, but I've always enjoyed B&W's somewhat heavy tuning as it seems easier to walk that back with EQ vs. take a more neutral signature and punch it up.
I completely agree, dialing back also strikes me as easier to accomplish as compared with boosting things up. If only the PX had been comfortable, really loved that sound signature. Same goes for B&O efforts, no problem with their comfort level at all, they just lack power. I resent companies trying to force hearing protection on me, I'll take care of that myself please B&O.

May 21, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,646 of 2,082
I got this model last week and of all the models available to test at Best Buy, they were hands down the most comfortable. I think they also has a slight edge on the QC35 for overall ANC performance for what I had the chance to test. However, the frequency response definitly changes when ANC is ON , not something I noticed with the QC35, but the Sony's sound slightly better\more alive overall demo for demo. Ironically, the earcups offer such a solid sound isolation , that I prefer using them with ANC off to maintain sound quality and I still have the inherent separation\soundstage.

Now , my previous headset was the Sennheiser BT4.40 (less than 200$ CND) and the frequency response of these was great. Everything was well balanced , not too much bass, good presence on all instruments; for the price they are hard to beat IMO. So when I brought the WH1000XM3 home , some minor negatives of the sound signature standed out a little more than in store (because it was the demo model perhaps?). A little too much bass and a lack of presence\treble\exciter , call it what you want. For me, the real test for any headphones is rock\metal music because you can test the capacity of the product to process guitar distortion and modern drumset sound. I found that this kind of music exposes the most the weakspot of any headphone's neutral frequencies response. What I did is take Ryanmatic suggestion with the app EQ settings but slightly toned them down while browsing multiple metal songs of bands I like until I found what I think is a good balance.

Here's my adjusted settings with the current 4.1.1 app version. It put a great subtle touch of presence on the guitar and bass drums (again, real drums). Therefore, it also balances any styles as well I believe and I'm now happy with them.

m4qMuSX.jpg

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,647 of 2,082
Hello guys, last time i have a problem with my Sony XM3.

Only while i´m walking there is a short dull noice like a short oversteering bass on the right Cup Side
It´s only with ANC on and high Volume. I can reproduce with massive foot stamps on the right side more than left side.
If jogging, it´s permanent. I don´t want jogging with these Headphones, but last time it´s still during normal walking :frowning2:
Before two weeks i have never noticed about this problem. Do you know this "problem".
Should i ask for a replacement ?

Thank You for ideas

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #1,648 of 2,082
Hello guys, last time i have a problem with my Sony XM3.

Only while i´m walking there is a short dull noice like a short oversteering bass on the right Cup Side
It´s only with ANC on and high Volume. I can reproduce with massive foot stamps on the right side more than left side.
If jogging, it´s permanent. I don´t want jogging with these Headphones, but last time it´s still during normal walking :frowning2:
Before two weeks i have never noticed about this problem. Do you know this "problem".
Should i ask for a replacement ?

Thank You for ideas
I suspect I experience something related, but far less obtrusive. When a certain type of bus door closes (I ride public transit hence the use of ANC) I hear an odd washed out thump sound, every time. I do not notice footfalls when walking so clearly our experiences are different. It just seems to be an anomaly from ANC. Are you sure that you have ambient sound control off? As well test with both ANC and Ambient Sound Control off. You shouldn't hear the footfalls so if that is the case it is the noise cancelling. I wonder if you used the adaptive noise cancelling to cancel out this issue? Read the following information and try and see, might solve your problem https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...tooth-headphones/wh-1000xm3/articles/00224928

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #1,649 of 2,082
Are you sure that you have ambient sound control off? As well test with both ANC and Ambient Sound Control off. You shouldn't hear the footfalls so if that is the case it is the noise cancelling.

Hello, this Noise issue is only with ANC on, with ambient sound it´s less and without any NC there is no Problem, so it´s 100% from Noise Canceling.
But i´m wondering about this problem ist coming last days, maybe it's the temperatures, this Sound issue came to me with sommer temperatures about 25° Celsius and above.

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,650 of 2,082
Hello, this Noise issue is only with ANC on, with ambient sound it´s less and without any NC there is no Problem, so it´s 100% from Noise Canceling.
But i´m wondering about this problem ist coming last days, maybe it's the temperatures, this Sound issue came to me with sommer temperatures about 25° Celsius and above.

For me the anc goes wild during take off and landing when the wheels of the plane rumble on the runway, sounds like being inside a pot popping pop corn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back