SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Apr 25, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #1,623 of 2,082
I only wish the ANC would filter voices as well
The problem is that voices are in the middle of the most critical frequency range of music, and it's difficult to mix in voice cancellation without degrading the sound of the original audio. In the voice range, they have to pull back on the ANC to preserve sound quality. However, ANC technology will keep improving incrementally.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #1,624 of 2,082
Not to mention, AAC sounds great, frankly I can't tell the difference between AAC and apt x and I would bet dollars to dimes that in blind listening tests nobody could reliably tell the difference. IMO only.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,625 of 2,082
Not to mention, AAC sounds great, frankly I can't tell the difference between AAC and apt x and I would bet dollars to dimes that in blind listening tests nobody could reliably tell the difference. IMO only.

Not just your opinion, but mine too, agree 100%. Far too much focus on different codecs....

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #1,626 of 2,082
I love my 1000XM3, but with LDAC I'm having playback issues when walking even when my phone is in my jacket pocket. So I changed the LDAC playback quality to standard (in developer options) of my android phone. It seems to have solved the problem. But it reverts to the original setting every time I connect the headphones. Is there a way to make the change permanent?

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #1,627 of 2,082

Aside from sound quality, moving from AAC(SBC is the worst) to LDAC has very noticable latency improvement(much lower) and you can get noise from lower codecs.
That alone is really worth it to use LDAC or APTX, well if you only listen to music without video then yes even SBC is not a problem.

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,628 of 2,082
... well if you only listen to music without video then yes even SBC is not a problem.
Absolutely, and for me it is only music (at this point) that I use Bluetooth for so AAC is quite good, some claim it is actually better than Apt X in some key areas, but that would be splitting atoms for me. Both sound amazing. I don't think it is much of a stretch to suggest that within 2 years we will see the first flagship, intended for full on critical listening at home Bluetooth headphone.

Apr 28, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #1,629 of 2,082
I love my 1000XM3, but with LDAC I'm having playback issues when walking even when my phone is in my jacket pocket. So I changed the LDAC playback quality to standard (in developer options) of my android phone. It seems to have solved the problem. But it reverts to the original setting every time I connect the headphones. Is there a way to make the change permanent?

Do you use an Android...

If you do... In the settings of your Bluetooth... You have to turn on LDAC for it to stay on. Screenshot_20190428-163035_Settings.jpg

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #1,630 of 2,082
I am a newbie to these, and have a few questions that may be relevant for others.

First, when setting the EQ in the app, will that apply to everything that plays on the unit no matter the source? In other words, if I use the IOS app, will it apply when I directly attach the headphones to a source and not use Bluetooth? Or if I use another source like Shanling M0 will it remember the EQ?

And am I correct that the EQ won't work with any level of LDAC?

Finally, with regard to LDAC, it seems that it really only works well with the lower level of LDAC. I get constant connection issues with the high quality version, even if the Shanling is close by. The next level down is better but still not so good.

Thanks

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #1,631 of 2,082
Absolutely, and for me it is only music (at this point) that I use Bluetooth for so AAC is quite good, some claim it is actually better than Apt X in some key areas, but that would be splitting atoms for me. Both sound amazing. I don't think it is much of a stretch to suggest that within 2 years we will see the first flagship, intended for full on critical listening at home Bluetooth headphone.

At least with SBC with my laptop, i can hear hiss/noise, not with LDAC(different device, can only use LDAC with my phone).
Well i will leave sound quality to individual, but personally at least i can clearly tell between SBC and LDAC, the difference is quite obvious, i can't enjoy SBC.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,632 of 2,082
At least with SBC with my laptop, i can hear hiss/noise, not with LDAC(different device, can only use LDAC with my phone).
Well i will leave sound quality to individual, but personally at least i can clearly tell between SBC and LDAC, the difference is quite obvious, i can't enjoy SBC.
Maybe for me as well, I don't use SBC, I use either AAC, LDAC, Apt x or Apt x HD so I am not defending SBC.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,633 of 2,082
Maybe for me as well, I don't use SBC, I use either AAC, LDAC, Apt x or Apt x HD so I am not defending SBC.

I think on higher quality codecs the difference is even smaller, it's like any other thing in audio, for example music files.
128kbps vs 192kbps MP3, you can really tell bump in quality.
192kbps vs 320kbps, the difference is small, still noticeable though.
And then there is 320kbps vs FLAC, people still arguing if one can really tell the difference, maybe people with really good ears.
I don't use AAC just tried it a couple times, as my phone supports LDAC, but boy LDAC drains battery.

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #1,634 of 2,082
First, when setting the EQ in the app, will that apply to everything that plays on the unit no matter the source? And am I correct that the EQ won't work with any level of LDAC?
Yes to both—the EQ should be applied if the streaming codec supports it. When I turn the EQ on with my iPhone (using AAC), it remains when I connect to my iPad (which also uses AAC). The EQ cannot be used with LDAC.

I don't use AAC just tried it a couple times, as my phone supports LDAC, but boy LDAC drains battery.
Yep. I remember reading that AAC has a battery life advantage over even just apt-X.

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #1,635 of 2,082
Lap0
Do you use an Android...
If you do... In the settings of your Bluetooth... You have to turn on LDAC for it to stay on.
The discussion was about the LDAC bitrate setting in Developer Options.
Screenshot_20190428-150035_Settings.jpg
I leave it at the default (best effort), and I don't hear an improvement when I set it to 990/909.

with LDAC I'm having playback issues when walking even when my phone is in my jacket pocket. So I changed the LDAC playback quality to standard (in developer options) of my android phone.
Do you see a different screen from what I posted above (screenshot from Galaxy S9 running Android 9)? I don't have a playback quality labeled "standard". What type of phone do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back