SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Apr 22, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,608 of 2,082
Just pushing down the ClearBass in the Sony app helps a bunch, but I’m really enjoying the sound these produce from a proper parametric EQ such as the Radsone app. It’s a substantial improvement.

both_eqs_xm3.jpeg

I stopped bothering with the SonarWorks app though; it was super clunky on iOS and I wouldn’t say the sound was that much better across the board.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,610 of 2,082
Hello, i have my eyes on these for a while, just looking for the best sounding wireless headphones don't need ANC that much.
Wondering how good are they compared to wired headphones?
I'm currently using HD6XX and MDR1am2, can these at least compete with MDR1am2?
Looking at the measurements alone i prefer the QC35ii, but there are overwhelming good reviews about how good these sound over the QC35ii, the best wireless they say.

Apr 24, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,611 of 2,082
ANC is what the XM3 do best. Out-of-the-box sound quality is overwhelmingly bass-heavy, but the sound signature shapes up nicely if you trim the bass with EQ. So to answer your initial question, the XM3 will only compare to those headphones after being EQ’ed. Most of the positive reviews out there are correct in that these headphones are fun to listen to but they ignore just how unbalanced the stock signature is.

The jump from wired to wireless isn’t that big of a deal—most recent wireless headphones sound great, and improve a bit when cabled to a proper source, so you get the best of both worlds. I like ANC because it improves perceived sound quality in noisy situations, but if ANC isn’t something you care about, there are other non-ANC options you could consider from Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Bowers & Wilkins, and more. Or, you could get a Bluetooth dongle and keep using any of your current wired sets.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #1,612 of 2,082
Hello, i have my eyes on these for a while, just looking for the best sounding wireless headphones don't need ANC that much.
Wondering how good are they compared to wired headphones?
I'm currently using HD6XX and MDR1am2, can these at least compete with MDR1am2?
Looking at the measurements alone i prefer the QC35ii, but there are overwhelming good reviews about how good these sound over the QC35ii, the best wireless they say.
When i demoed a whole range of bluetooth headphones one afternoon the one that stood out for me for sound was the b&o h9i. Rich full sound. However not everyone will find it comfortable.

Also if anc was important i would not necessarily recommend it. It sounds a fair bit better when anc is off. It sounds more open

A solid bluetooth headphone IF the comfort suits you

If i am listening to the h9i with anc off and then i turn it on then i can feel the anc come in with that compression kind of feeling

But for a bluetooth, non anc, i really like it.

The sony is great for portability, anc and for comfort for lightness. Sound is good and versatile but not what i consider premium. Overall great value though

H9i non anc> xm3 with/without anc>h9i with anc on

I’m happy with both

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,613 of 2,082
ANC is what the XM3 do best. Out-of-the-box sound quality is overwhelmingly bass-heavy, but the sound signature shapes up nicely if you trim the bass with EQ. So to answer your initial question, the XM3 will only compare to those headphones after being EQ’ed. Most of the positive reviews out there are correct in that these headphones are fun to listen to but they ignore just how unbalanced the stock signature is.

The jump from wired to wireless isn’t that big of a deal—most recent wireless headphones sound great, and improve a bit when cabled to a proper source, so you get the best of both worlds. I like ANC because it improves perceived sound quality in noisy situations, but if ANC isn’t something you care about, there are other non-ANC options you could consider from Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Bowers & Wilkins, and more. Or, you could get a Bluetooth dongle and keep using any of your current wired sets.

But AFAIK if you use EQ you can't use high-quality codecs?
I'm also considering bluetooth receiver/amp that i can clip to my shirt and use very short cable or even better if i can attach it to the headphones themselves, MDR1am2(what i plan to use with) are really easy to drive just 16ohm
I don't care much about ANC, the passive isolation from closed-back is enough for me, just wanted a wireless that sounds best with great comfort.
Any other recommendation?
I can live with light bass, it's the treble peak or recessed/thin mids that i can't live with, most like M50XBT have recessed mids.

When i demoed a whole range of bluetooth headphones one afternoon the one that stood out for me for sound was the b&o h9i. Rich full sound. However not everyone will find it comfortable.

Also if anc was important i would not necessarily recommend it. It sounds a fair bit better when anc is off. It sounds more open

A solid bluetooth headphone IF the comfort suits you

If i am listening to the h9i with anc off and then i turn it on then i can feel the anc come in with that compression kind of feeling

But for a bluetooth, non anc, i really like it.

The sony is great for portability, anc and for comfort for lightness. Sound is good and versatile but not what i consider premium. Overall great value though

H9i non anc> xm3 with/without anc>h9i with anc on

I’m happy with both

I don't care about ANC to be honest, the passive isolation from closed-back is enough for me, just wanted a wireless that sounds best with great comfort.
I also have been spoiled with Sony's comfort it doesn't clamp, it weights nothing and the cushions are super soft(compared to HD6XX, HD6XX feels like a brick).
Looking at the graph, H9i seem to have v-shaped sound? That's the opposite of my preferred sound signature though.
Yeah it looks like more on-ear than over-ear, don't look comfy.

Actually the QC35 frequency response looks really good, Lows to Mids are simply perfect, the Highs though, Tyll's review that bothered me:
"Treble is where the **** hits the fan. I've used this word before and I hear this effect with some regularity: The treble sounds sort of like it's coming from a crinkled cellophane speaker. Sibilant sounds take on an additional artificial character."

But the treble on 1000xm3 also seems too recessed accompanied with bloated bass.
Not time for wireless yet?

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,614 of 2,082
While measurement is important I think you need to hear things yourself, ideally. There is no issue with the treble at all, IMO, with the XM3. If the bass is trimmed back a little via EQ the treble gets room so to speak and I really like the treble presentation on the XM3. Don't use the Sony app for equalization, that is the issue. I used ONKYO HF Player on my phone, or I could use Neutron, both of which have very good built in equalization and with both my phone connects to the XM3 via LDAC, apt X, apt X HD without a problem.

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #1,615 of 2,082
Apr 25, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #1,616 of 2,082
I don't care about ANC to be honest, the passive isolation from closed-back is enough for me, just wanted a wireless that sounds best with great comfort.
I also have been spoiled with Sony's comfort it doesn't clamp, it weights nothing and the cushions are super soft(compared to HD6XX, HD6XX feels like a brick).
Looking at the graph, H9i seem to have v-shaped sound? That's the opposite of my preferred sound signature though.
Yeah it looks like more on-ear than over-ear, don't look comfy.

Actually the QC35 frequency response looks really good, Lows to Mids are simply perfect, the Highs though, Tyll's review that bothered me:
"Treble is where the **** hits the fan. I've used this word before and I hear this effect with some regularity: The treble sounds sort of like it's coming from a crinkled cellophane speaker. Sibilant sounds take on an additional artificial character."

But the treble on 1000xm3 also seems too recessed accompanied with bloated bass.
Not time for wireless yet?

You should get your hands on a Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless or the PX, then. They have different sound signatures, but quality-wise they're unmatched in the wireless category.

As for frequency response of the XM3: It's definitely and clearly a V-Shape. The treble has been raised to balance out the bass, but it's not really a very good treble. Only slightly better than the QC35 in my opinion.

Here's an overview of the top wireless headphones' sound signature:

Bose QC35: W-Shape (Bass & Treble lift with a small peak in the presence area)
B&O H9: V-Shape
Sony XM3: V-Shape
B&W PX: Warm-Neutral

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #1,617 of 2,082
I owned both the P7 wireless and PX, and while I agree both are extremely good sounding headphones period, I don't know if I would say unmatched in quality. Ultimately it does have to do with subjective preference as much as anything. I have read comments from people who disliked both the P7 and PX, but personally I loved both. I would have kept the PX but they were for me absolutely uncomfortable to the point I could not enjoy the music. Sold the PX due to the comfort and moved to the Sony which is head and shoulder above the PX in terms of comfort. If the PX had been more comfortable I would happily have kept them.

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #1,618 of 2,082
While measurement is important I think you need to hear things yourself, ideally. There is no issue with the treble at all, IMO, with the XM3. If the bass is trimmed back a little via EQ the treble gets room so to speak and I really like the treble presentation on the XM3. Don't use the Sony app for equalization, that is the issue. I used ONKYO HF Player on my phone, or I could use Neutron, both of which have very good built in equalization and with both my phone connects to the XM3 via LDAC, apt X, apt X HD without a problem.

Yup agreed, unfortunately i can't try them out first.
If only it could be EQ'd through the Sony app without sacrificing SQ though.

You should get your hands on a Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless or the PX, then. They have different sound signatures, but quality-wise they're unmatched in the wireless category.

As for frequency response of the XM3: It's definitely and clearly a V-Shape. The treble has been raised to balance out the bass, but it's not really a very good treble. Only slightly better than the QC35 in my opinion.

Here's an overview of the top wireless headphones' sound signature:

Bose QC35: W-Shape (Bass & Treble lift with a small peak in the presence area)
B&O H9: V-Shape
Sony XM3: V-Shape
B&W PX: Warm-Neutral

The problem with Bowers & Wilkins is they clamp too much, i'm pretty sure they would hurt my jaw, have had similar headphones, size/clamping-wise.
I really liked the design though, very classy and stylish.
What is hard to judge from headphones are their grain, resolution, smoothness, staging.

I think i will try the bluetooth amp/receiver path first, and then let's see if i still want more versatility.
Thanks everyone for the useful responses. :relaxed:

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,620 of 2,082
I did not think using the Sony EQ affected sound quality in iOS ?
It still uses AAC and I don't see any change ?

No in iOS it does not affect since it can't do better than aac anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back