SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #1,591 of 2,082
iOS and Mac devices simply don't support NFC for anything other than low level OS use. With a Mac or iOS device the only way of switching the XM3 between devices is to physically disconnect from the first device and then re-connect it to the second device.

Yeah, there's no doubt the more I use these and have to do the "disconnect", "connect" thing, the more annoying it gets. At first, I looked at it as a small inconvenience in exchange for a vastly superior product (vs the Bose), but people switch frequently between their phones and laptops, so it's definitely annoying.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #1,592 of 2,082
I feel for people, I am lucky as I don't need to do any switching. I simply use these as my commuting headphones and I am glad for how engaging and musical I find them as commuting is almost the only chance I get lately for music.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,593 of 2,082
I feel for people, I am lucky as I don't need to do any switching. I simply use these as my commuting headphones and I am glad for how engaging and musical I find them as commuting is almost the only chance I get lately for music.
me too

I also have the h9i. I must say that i do prefer the sound of the h9i - fuller, richer. more detailed sounding (equivalent to the price difference)

but the sonys are lighter and as a result more comfortable for me

but all of that is taking nothing away from either of them -
if i was to only have one i would stay with the h9i due to sound but if "pick up and go" (and walk) was the most important thing for me (which it is quite often) the sonys are great

in fact I use the sonys more than three times that i do the h9i at this point due to their comfort

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,594 of 2,082
me too

I also have the h9i. I must say that i do prefer the sound of the h9i - fuller, richer. more detailed sounding (equivalent to the price difference)

but the sonys are lighter and as a result more comfortable for me

but all of that is taking nothing away from either of them -
if i was to only have one i would stay with the h9i due to sound but if "pick up and go" (and walk) was the most important thing for me (which it is quite often) the sonys are great

in fact I use the sonys more than three times that i do the h9i at this point due to their comfort
Nice. I was interested in the H9i, but as has been the B&O ethos it seems for all of their wireless offerings I found the H7 underpowered and I read that this remains the case with the H9i. For context when I owned (and loved the H7) I always had the volume full, even with contemporary hot mastered material and found it just barely loud enough to be satisfying. With older, quieter material it was just too quiet and that is why I sold the H7 and haven't yet put the money down for a new B&O offering. Sad as I like the B&O aesthetic and I really enjoy their sound signature approach.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,595 of 2,082
Nice. I was interested in the H9i, but as has been the B&O ethos it seems for all of their wireless offerings I found the H7 underpowered and I read that this remains the case with the H9i. For context when I owned (and loved the H7) I always had the volume full, even with contemporary hot mastered material and found it just barely loud enough to be satisfying. With older, quieter material it was just too quiet and that is why I sold the H7 and haven't yet put the money down for a new B&O offering. Sad as I like the B&O aesthetic and I really enjoy their sound signature approach.
yeah- good point

there has been times i have the h9i on full volume with my iphone 8+
It's never been quiet as such but if there was another volume notch then i probably would have gone to it at these times
i've been happy to accept that though - as in it's a limitation but it was still loud enough

i don't recall having the same issue with the sonys but that could be me just dealing with it again and not being able to recall which of the two headphones it was

from your post i'm guessing this is not an issue with the sonys...or at least not as much

tenor.gif

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #1,596 of 2,082

from your post i'm guessing this is not an issue with the sonys...or at least not as much

Yes the Sony does go louder, enough so that with older material it is closer to loud enough (but still not loud enough).

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,597 of 2,082
Just had a friend visiting who has the XM2 and we were both surprised how noticeable the difference in sound was between the XM2 and XM3, no trouble what so ever hearing it using a Sony 1Z with 16/44 flac over ldac. There was more of everything on the XM3, especially bass, but both are great

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,599 of 2,082
Stupidest decision Sony made was the auto ambient adjustment with the tone that disrupts anything you play out watch.

Took me awhile to figure out that was the culprit and turn it off

???

Apr 21, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #1,602 of 2,082
Only by also switching off all voice prompts too which is very frustrating.

I agree that the tone when the ambient detection changes mode (and usually gets it wrong between sitting/staying/standing) is super annoying.
The voice prompts are even more annoying than the mode-switching tone. So I don't see much of a problem in that.

Apr 21, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #1,604 of 2,082
If there is a revision up coming, I hope they tone the bass down, making it more linear. Also, create more ear-room inside the cups, and make it look less bulging like the QC35. I don't like that it sticks out that much, and comparatively to the QC35. I do need a nice sounding closed back with ANC, but I prefer the stock tuning to have somewhat of a neutral bass. If I want more bass, I'll turn it up!

Did they take care of the cold weather touch pad issue? Also, they need to build it to be more durable.

It seems very technically proficient, but they should address those issues for a real revision.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #1,605 of 2,082

Users who are viewing this thread

Back