SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,547 of 2,082
Guys why do you think these have such mediocre SQ? Some regular headphones costing half less sound better. My $100 iBasso IEM sound way better. Is ANC system that expensive?

I have not heard the ibasso IEMs and I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but the ibasso IEM and the Sony XM3 are very different products with different use cases. Personally, the main reason I considered these was because they were wireless, had best in class ANC, and plenty decent enough sonically for my purposes (initially I was very skeptical going wireless because of the sound quality, but the oh the convenience). Do they have the best sound quality of any product at $349 (MSRP)? Likely not. Do they do the best in their class for my use case, yes, they do.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #1,550 of 2,082
Just days away and there's already many trolls

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #1,551 of 2,082
Just thought I'd share some personal feedback in regards to sound quality when using the XM3s and my Samsung S9 (or newer) phone.

For what they are... I think Atmos makes the Sonys XM3s, (an average sounding headphone) sound very pleasing. When Atmos is enabled, it's almost as though a window has been opened to the music... letting in tons of fresh air... Enabling Atmos also gives some tracks a much needed volume boost.

If you have a Samsung S9 or newer... give Dolby Atmos a try... especially if you own the Sony WH-1000XM3s.

Screenshot_20190331-122839_SoundAlive.jpg

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,552 of 2,082
My only real problem I have with the XM3s is the dramatic change of sound when chewing, moving my jaw, and or opening and closing my mouth. My Bose QC35s, from what I remember, did not have this problem. Does anyone else have this problem?

If you'd like to increase the comfort of you XM3s... Try the new Dekoni Premium Ear Pads in Suede. They feel like having comfy pillows on the side of your head... I had the headphones on at work the other day for 9+ hours straight... no discomfort or fatigue whatsoever!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #1,553 of 2,082
When Atmos is enabled, it's almost as though a window has been opened to the music... letting in tons of fresh air... Enabling Atmos also gives some tracks a much needed volume boost.
Glad you're enjoying the XM3s after some EQing. That's my experience too—they substantially improve once their signature is shaped a bit. I'm not familiar with how Dolby Atmos works but our custom EQs are almost exact opposites (I push down the bass and elevate the mids).

If you'd like to increase the comfort of you XM3s... Try the new Dekoni Premium Ear Pads in Suede. They feel like having comfy pillows on the side of your head... I had the headphones on at work the other day for 9+ hours straight... no discomfort or fatigue whatsoever!
Completely agree! The suede Dekoni pads are excellent. They're super comfy and I think they have more earcup room compared to the stock pads, which helps the sound a bit. I do think the ANC degrades a bit with them, though. Have you noticed that? I've been meaning to do a closer comparison of them and the stock pads but haven't had a chance to yet. Also FWIW, I do not recommend the Dekoni leather pads because they're way less comfortable and the sound they produce is immediately fatiguing to me.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #1,554 of 2,082
I'm not familiar with how Dolby Atmos works but our custom EQs are almost exact opposites (I push down the bass and elevate the mids).

Have you tried Dolby Atmos yet? I love it on the XM3s. Without it... I am not very pleased with the sound quality and or the volume level on some songs.

Completely agree! The suede Dekoni pads are excellent. They're super comfy and I think they have more earcup room compared to the stock pads, which helps the sound a bit. I do think the ANC degrades a bit with them, though. Have you noticed that? I've been meaning to do a closer comparison of them and the stock pads but haven't had a chance to yet. Also FWIW, I do not recommend the Dekoni leather pads because they're way less comfortable and the sound they produce is immediately fatiguing to me.

I don't have experience with the stock or the Dekoni leather pads... I purchased the Suede pads at CanJam NYC two days after purchasing the XM3s. An interesting fact about the suede pads is that they are simply the Dekoni leather pads turned inside out. As far as the ANC, it's good.. but I wish it were better with eliminating voices... But overall, I am pleased with the features and battery life of the XM3s... But they are a major step down in sound quality for me when compared to my Fostex TH-900s... But given the price difference... I guess that is to be expected.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,555 of 2,082
Have you tried Dolby Atmos yet? I love it on the XM3s. Without it... I am not very pleased with the sound quality and or the volume level on some songs.

I don't have experience with the stock or the Dekoni leather pads... I purchased the Suede pads at CanJam NYC two days after purchasing the XM3s. An interesting fact about the suede pads is that they are simply the Dekoni leather pads turned inside out. As far as the ANC, it's good.. but I wish it were better with eliminating voices... But overall, I am pleased with the features and battery life of the XM3s... But they are a major step down in sound quality for me when compared to my Fostex TH-900s... But given the price difference... I guess that is to be expected.

BT and ANC will degrade the sound but in the environments where I use them that does not matter at all, they are not for critical listening in quiet environments

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,559 of 2,082
There is a workaround, If you have a Android/Samsung, you can EQ the sound in the phones advanced sound settings / Sound quality and effects... While still using LDAC or AptX.

Or you can just use the EQ of you music player... Like PowerAmp.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #1,560 of 2,082
I have a pair of these arriving today.

I gather some of the latest firmware is controversial. What is the last version people liked?

Also, I was planning on using these with the Shanling M0. Now it looks like the EQ won't work with that using LDAC and the internal EQ? I had thoughts that the EQ was helpful to tone down the bass response.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back