SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Mar 21, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #1,516 of 2,082
I bought these in order to mute my wife's watching her videos on YouTube when we are in the same room and I need to concentrate, and I was appalled to find out that these don't mute voices from her videos almost at all. Is it normal? Also it feels a bit weird in the head with ANC on, like very slight dizziness. So disappointing.

Anc does produce a constant haze of low volume white noise when no music is playing. For me they almost totally eliminate the sound from the tv my wife watches in the same room and completely eliminates the noise from the electric heater fan. Are you sure you don’t have some level of ambient pass through active ?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,517 of 2,082
Anc does produce a constant haze of low volume white noise when no music is playing. For me they almost totally eliminate the sound from the tv my wife watches in the same room. Are you sure you don’t have some level of ambient pass through active ?
Yes, I'm sure, I tried all settings in the App. Everything is much quiter with these on, and background sounds are pretty much gone, but I still can clearly hear not only the voice from the video, I can even make out words.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #1,518 of 2,082
I bought these in order to mute my wife's watching her videos on YouTube when we are in the same room and I need to concentrate, and I was appalled to find out that these don't mute voices from her videos almost at all. Is it normal? Also it feels a bit weird in the head with ANC on, like very slight dizziness. So disappointing.

I think they are designed more toward cancellation of steadier noises, but still the Sony is getting better for intermittent noise. There are several features that can lessen the strength of the n/c though. You can pull back on the noise cancellation to get rid of the weird feeling in about 10 gradations. Make sure you have the ambient noise cancelling mode off and have the straight noise cancelling mode on in full. There are three different modes, noise cancelling, ambient noise cancelling , and no noise cancelling. You cycle through those usuing the larger button on the left ear cup, assuming you don’t have the option for Alexa or Hey Google turned on for that button. The ambient noise cancelling actually amplifies certain sounds such as voices so that you’re sure to hear them as a safety feature. There’s also a movement feature you want to turn off because it starts to let more sound in if it thinks you may need to turn n/c off or down for safety. If all that doesn’t work then I’d say take them back. Also there is an optimization for your environment if you press on the longer button on the left earcup for a while. They tell you it’s optimizing and beep and stuff and the noise cancelling is fine tuned for your environment. They are complex electronic devices for sure.

Hope this helps. It’s a lot.

There is a wife noise cancelling technology being developed jointly in the NASA and Bose and Sony R&D labs but that is extremely high tech and it is rumored when the technology hits the street it will cost about $5k.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,519 of 2,082
I think they are designed more toward cancellation of steadier noises, but still the Sony is getting better for intermittent noise. There are several features that can lessen the strength of the n/c though. You can pull back on the noise cancellation to get rid of the weird feeling in about 10 gradations. Make sure you have the ambient noise cancelling mode off and have the straight noise cancelling mode on in full. There are three different modes, noise cancelling, ambient noise cancelling , and no noise cancelling. You cycle through those usuing the larger button on the left ear cup, assuming you don’t have the option for Alexa or Hey Google turned on for that button. The ambient noise cancelling actually amplifies certain sounds such as voices so that you’re sure to hear them as a safety feature. There’s also a movement feature you want to turn off because it starts to let more sound in if it thinks you may need to turn n/c off or down for safety. If all that doesn’t work then I’d say take them back. Also there is an optimization for your environment if you press on the longer button on the left earcup for a while. They tell you it’s optimizing and beep and stuff and the noise cancelling is fine tuned for your environment. They are complex electronic devices for sure.

Hope this helps. It’s a lot.

There is a wife noise cancelling technology being developed jointly in the NASA and Bose and Sony R&D labs but that is extremely high tech and it is rumored when the technology hits the street it will cost about $5k.
Thank you for such a thorough reply Steve! I will try your advice once I get home.
LOL Yeah wife noise cancellation technology will be a breakthrough for the humanity! And it's gonna be easier to develop than making wives use earphones when watching YouTube, less trouble :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,520 of 2,082

That is a lot cheaper than my divorce to be fair :wink:

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,521 of 2,082
Hi all. Let's see if you can help me out. Another question I have is that I have read comments on the equalization that if activated, you can not use LDAC. Does this happen with all the equalizers of any music player application? or only with the equalization of the Sony app.
The Sony app EQ is only available when listening via AAC or SBC—which is a bit annoying, but if you're streaming via LDAC, you can get greater results by using a 3rd party music player with a full-featured parametric EQ anyhow. For iOS, I really like the Radsone player, and for Android, a bunch of folks recommend the Onkyo player (which is also available on iOS).

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,522 of 2,082
I have noticed that certain vocal frequencies get blocked better than others, but with music playing at ~40-50% volume from my iphone, I find that it blocks pretty much everything with full ANC. Is the "Focus on Voice" box checked under the Ambient Sound Control section in the app?

You might also want to try adjusting the wearing position of the headphones, and make sure they have a decent seal around your head. Re-run the Noise Cancellation Optimizer when you have found a new position.

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,523 of 2,082
It was a LOT better. As you said, you upgraded before listening, so you can't tell. I can and I can also compare to v1.

For me personally I've not had a reduction or change to the ANC since upgrading the firmware, used them for a few weeks before and after upgrade and can honestly say there is no difference for me.

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #1,524 of 2,082
Guys, sorry for this, I'm new to ANC headphones, but I've done all recommendations, and still not sure. I think I was just expecting too much from these. I'm trying these in the office right now and I still can hear the road buzzing outside the window. Of course when I take these off the buzzing becomes a roar, and I think it's just how the ANC works with the 1000mx3's. Please confirm. TBH, I was hoping for a bit better sound isolation. I now suspect that on a plane I will hear the roar as well. In settings, I got max NC, no ambient control and no voice focus on.

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #1,525 of 2,082
Guys, sorry for this, I'm new to ANC headphones, but I've done all recommendations, and still not sure. I think I was just expecting too much from these. I'm trying these in the office right now and I still can hear the road buzzing outside the window. Of course when I take these off the buzzing becomes a roar, and I think it's just how the ANC works with the 1000mx3's. Please confirm. TBH, I was hoping for a bit better sound isolation. I now suspect that on a plane I will hear the roar as well. In settings, I got max NC, no ambient control and no voice focus on.

I’ll be trying them on a plane later today for the first time, but at home sitting right next to at heat exchanger or electric heat fan the noise from it is completely gone

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,526 of 2,082

I can maybe help you hear as I have just got back from a long haul flight and I used the 1000XM2 headphones . I thought the anc was very good indeed. I usually struggle to sleep on long haul flights but this time I slept well. I put that down to the anc. The engine noise is still there but is much reduced, I was surprised how good it was

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,527 of 2,082
Sounds about right—ANC will usually block out most car noise, but some of the higher frequencies tend to get through. I guess I'd suggest to fiddle with fitment a bit more to make sure they're sitting snugly but comfortable. Then, re-run the optimizer, and see if that helps. Also IMO, these make flying a *substantially* more enjoyable experience. If you wear them with ANC on but without music playing, yes, you'll be able to hear some engine noise, but it's not much, and it's mostly unnoticeable once you start playing music.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,528 of 2,082
These were the first pair of ANC headphones I've used for flying. Before I used my IEMs. Even with no music playing, they turned the loud roar of the engine into about the same loudness as a bus engine without ANC. The biggest advantage was being able to play music at lower volume so I could sleep, instead of needing my IEMs at 80% volume (and still losing a lot of audio fidelity). With these at 40% volume, the only reason I knew I was flying was the cramped seat and bad food.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,529 of 2,082
Sounds about right—ANC will usually block out most car noise, but some of the higher frequencies tend to get through. I guess I'd suggest to fiddle with fitment a bit more to make sure they're sitting snugly but comfortable. Then, re-run the optimizer, and see if that helps. Also IMO, these make flying a *substantially* more enjoyable experience. If you wear them with ANC on but without music playing, yes, you'll be able to hear some engine noise, but it's not much, and it's mostly unnoticeable once you start playing music.

Thank you! Yes, I now see my pair works fine, and I also understand the idea of ANC headphones, and although me expectations were a bit too high in the beginning, I'm quite happy with the purchase right now.

Also thanks a lot, everybody, I really appreciate your opinions, you helped a lot!

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #1,530 of 2,082
Just finished my first flight. I would say anc eliminated 80-90% of the engine noise and similar of voices (unable to discern any of the loud speaker announcements but able to detect that they were made). Can get away with 40% volume where with Earin M2 I have to be at 80-90%. One situation the anc could not handle was during take off with the engines at full blast and the wheels rolling on the runway it was like being inside a cauldron of popping pop corn. Also the effect of the anc actually changed perhaps up to 10% when I moved my head around a bit and it was better if I removed my glasses

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back