SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,531 of 2,082
Just finished my first flight. I would say anc eliminated 80-90% of the engine noise and similar of voices (unable to discern any of the loud speaker announcements but able to detect that they were made). Can get away with 40% volume where with Earin M2 I have to be at 80-90%. One situation the anc could not handle was during take off with the engines at full blast and the wheels rolling on the runway it was like being inside a cauldron of popping pop corn. Also the effect of the anc actually changed perhaps up to 10% when I moved my head around a bit and it was better if I removed my glasses

Did you (and anyone else who has flown with these) update the noice cancellation optimizer? I would notice a slight discomfort (but that could've just been my ears), and I usually have to run the optimizer twice during a flight. It seemed to make the pressure discomfort go away.

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,532 of 2,082
Did you (and anyone else who has flown with these) update the noice cancellation optimizer? I would notice a slight discomfort (but that could've just been my ears), and I usually have to run the optimizer twice during a flight. It seemed to make the pressure discomfort go away.

Yes I did. 1atm air pressure at ground level, 0,9 at 5.000 meter and 0,8 at 10.000 meter. I’m not sure if I felt it made a difference though

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #1,533 of 2,082
So, I've had these for a while, and I'm kinda feeling like the ANC is getting worse on these...For reference, I have a Bose QC35 to compare it to. I feel like when I first got these, the Sony's blew away the Bose with regard to ANC. Now, it's kinda similar with maybe the Sony's beating them out by a hair.

I had these pre and post the infamous firmware update, and to be honest, I didn't feel that they were any worse AFTER the firmware update. It's just that now, after some time, it doesn't seem as good. I'm probably going to head on over to Target and Best Buy to do a comparison of mine with theirs (I doubt they would ever bother to perform firmware updates on demo models).

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,535 of 2,082
Hi guys looking for some guidance . I hit the 1000XM2 in October and thought it would be for occasional use as I have my andromeda’s for portable use. However I am amazed at how much I use these now. They sound great, they do lack the detail and dynamics on the Andros but they have great bass and punch for music on the go.

They hold their value well so I can sell on eBay and would only have to find £100 or so to upgrade to the XM3. I\

Would this be worth it, is their much of a step up ?

Hi guys can anyone help me with this? Is it worth upgrading to these from the XM2?

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,536 of 2,082
Hi guys can anyone help me with this? Is it worth upgrading to these from the XM2?

Is it worth upgrading? is subjective

If you are like me who works hard and likes to have the latest things then YES.

If you are solely looking for a significant increase in the audio quality than in MY opinion NO.

But as I said what's worth it for me might not be worth it for you.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,538 of 2,082
The Sony EQ works with AAC, and AAC sounds pretty excellent with these headphones. LDAC will sound better (closer to what you get when plugging these in to a quality source), but is more prone to connection issues in daily usage because of the increased bandwidth it requires. I wouldn't worry so much about the codecs, though. You'll need to try the headphones in person to know if the fit and comfort is what you want, and if the Sony house sound is to your liking.

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,539 of 2,082
The Sony EQ works with AAC, and AAC sounds pretty excellent with these headphones. LDAC will sound better (closer to what you get when plugging these in to a quality source), but is more prone to connection issues in daily usage because of the increased bandwidth it requires. I wouldn't worry so much about the codecs, though. You'll need to try the headphones in person to know if the fit and comfort is what you want, and if the Sony house sound is to your liking.

Thanks, I've tried them but I hadn't the possibility to connect my phone. The sound was too bass heavy for me, that's why I will absolutely need the equalizer.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #1,542 of 2,082
Guys why do you think these have such mediocre SQ? Some regular headphones costing half less sound better. My $100 iBasso IEM sound way better. Is ANC system that expensive?

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #1,544 of 2,082
After the 4.1.1 the ANC has been changed for sure. It no longer filters voices as well as it did, or for example keyboard clicks. Before those were inaudible, now it's almost like I had Ambient Sound turned on just a little.
Not happy at all as this was the main reason I bought them...

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #1,545 of 2,082
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back