SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Mar 4, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,486 of 2,082
I'm not sure about Best Buy in the US, but in Canada, they do not allow returns on opened headphones, presumably for hygienic reasons. Better check out their return policy first.
In America, they allow returns. I first bought the Bowers & Wilkins PX while I was on the wait list for the XM3s, and I returned them with no issues. I would feel kind of bad forcing Best Buy through the return process and losing my money on the sale, but I really loved my XM3s and I miss them in my daily commute.

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #1,487 of 2,082
Just bought these as I have a number of long flights coming up. First time I have a set of anc phones and it seems to work very well. They sound good with aac from my iPhone and fantastic with ldac from my 1Z. They are clearly along the same sound sig as the Z5 and Z1R. So far very happy with the purchase

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,488 of 2,082
Just bought these as I have a number of long flights coming up. First time I have a set of anc phones and it seems to work very well. They sound good with aac from my iPhone and fantastic with ldac from my 1Z. They are clearly along the same sound sig as the Z5 and Z1R. So far very happy with the purchase
Probably a silly question: what did you buy?

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #1,490 of 2,082
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #1,491 of 2,082
Mar 10, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,492 of 2,082
So sorry - I must have been sleeping....
Anyway @nc8000 congratulations with your XM3s. They are indeed really good...
Noticed you have a 1Z. Try also to use the XM3s wired. I have the NW-ZX2 and in my ears the XM3s sound even better when wired.:L3000:

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #1,493 of 2,082
Noticed you have a 1Z. Try also to use the XM3s wired. I have the NW-ZX2 and in my ears the XM3s sound even better when wired.:L3000:

For wired use I have Z1R or Z5 so the XM3 is solely for wireless use on planes and possibly trains

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,494 of 2,082
So my XM3 is now starting to creak when I spread it apart to put it on my head. Not badly, but annoying enough. The hinges between the earcups are putting pressure on the inner plastic plate causing it to separate a bit form the actual headband, causing the creak, which tells me it's not secure enough. I'll try and find a cheap solution to minimise the creaking and hopefully stop the inner plastic plate to separate too much from the headband.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #1,495 of 2,082
So my XM3 is now starting to creak when I spread it apart to put it on my head. Not badly, but annoying enough.
Same here. I only really notice it when I put them on, but it's annoying. Makes sense that it would be the hinges... hopefully there's a fairly simple fix.

Also, I recently picked up both sets of Dekoni replacement ear pads: the suede ones, and the leather ones. So far I really like the suede ones because the extra room they provide adds a bit of punch to the bass. The leather ones probably need some more time to break in, because with them I hear a noticeable loss in bass and the introduction of sibilance (it actually reminds me of what the Bowers & Wilkins PX sounds like out of the box, before the ear pads relax a bit and seal better). Has anyone else tried these ear pads out yet? I'll take some pics and share more thoughts a bit later.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,496 of 2,082
So my XM3 is now starting to creak when I spread it apart to put it on my head. Not badly, but annoying enough. The hinges between the earcups are putting pressure on the inner plastic plate causing it to separate a bit form the actual headband, causing the creak, which tells me it's not secure enough. I'll try and find a cheap solution to minimise the creaking and hopefully stop the inner plastic plate to separate too much from the headband.

Same here. I only really notice it when I put them on, but it's annoying. Makes sense that it would be the hinges... hopefully there's a fairly simple fix..

If the creaking does get bad enough, and you can live without the headphones for a couple of weeks, you can exchange the headphones with Sony's warranty. I started the process two weeks ago, dropped the box off last Sunday (3/3), and I should receive the replacement pair tomorrow. Hopefully the new pair doesn't creak. I also saw some advice on reddit, including smacking the earcup while you are wearing the headphones.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #1,497 of 2,082
Makes sense that it would be the hinges... hopefully there's a fairly simple fix.

OK so I bought some Selleys Ezy Glide Dry Lubricant and spent a bit of time spraying around the hinges and into the hinge cavities, left it for a day and tested it out again this morning - the creaks definitely is reduced but still there. Will spray a bit more later today but it's certainly not a permanent fix. It might require me opening up the inner plates and putting a very very thin layer of silicon sealant or something similar around the joints to deaden the creaks.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,498 of 2,082
Same here. I only really notice it when I put them on, but it's annoying. Makes sense that it would be the hinges... hopefully there's a fairly simple fix.

Also, I recently picked up both sets of Dekoni replacement ear pads: the suede ones, and the leather ones. So far I really like the suede ones because the extra room they provide adds a bit of punch to the bass. The leather ones probably need some more time to break in, because with them I hear a noticeable loss in bass and the introduction of sibilance (it actually reminds me of what the Bowers & Wilkins PX sounds like out of the box, before the ear pads relax a bit and seal better). Has anyone else tried these ear pads out yet? I'll take some pics and share more thoughts a bit later.

I'm wondering if the Dakoni pads are more comfortable for glasses wearers. I find the stock pads a little uncomfortable with my glasses on, so any extra space around my ears would be nice.

How does the padding compare in softness to pads like the fenestrated sheepskin? I had a set for my Focal Elears and found them far too firm compared to stock or the Elex pads. I tried them for a week but they never softened up enough to not cause me jaw pain.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #1,499 of 2,082
So I got my new exchanged pair yesterday, and I wore them around the house last night with no issues. Today, the left ear cup started to make popping sounds on the bus. Different than the creaking I had before, or the sound of the seal being broken while going over large bumps. I believe it's driver flex. I know it's been mentioned as an issue with these headphones, but does anyone know of a fix for it? Is there a chance it might go away on its own? I really don't want to have to wait another two weeks for a new new pair...

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,500 of 2,082
Not sure of a fix for it, but changing the ANC settings sometimes seems to help. In the app, try moving the slider down one notch from full ANC, to “wind noise reduction”. This setting (which works wonders when it’s actually windy outside) seems to be make the ANC a bit more forgiving on busses and shuttles.

TBH though, when this is happening consistently (usually on mostly empty large shuttles, often when any windows are rolled down) I’ll just turn off ANC and wait until I’m outside to re-activate it.

wind_noise_reduction_crop.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back