SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #1,366 of 2,082
Even on my phone I don't turn off BT because I have other accessories that use BT. So you turn off your BT just to allow the auto shut off to work??? How does that make sense?
I can see that you are a Sony fan but again, with XM3 they could've done more convenience wise.
Lol.. so you're a B&W, Sennheiser Bose or any other brand fan?

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,367 of 2,082
Newforce perhaps you work for Sony? Maybe that’s why you defend them and their user-unfriendly design decisions so strongly...
Look, I have a pair of Sony 1000mk3 and they are very good, they have excellent comfort, very good audio and outstanding ANC.
I also have Sennheiser PXC550 and B&W P7w, all are very good, all have plusses and minuses.
Sony could have been a bit smarter with one or two user features that the competition already has. I am sure they will put that right with the next model...
Stop being ridiculous, when ppl have different opinions about your points so you'll brand them as Sony worker?
When you come to a forum to discuss, so you only expect ppl to just sit down to listening and accept and praise all your raising points, be it valid or invalid? If that's the case, it's no longer a discussion.

That's why I've said, there are things limit can be done or cannot be done, so maybe XM4 they have better electronics design to overcome the demand needed by users.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #1,368 of 2,082
LOL.. maybe Sony engineers missed that, that's v5.x to the fix to eliminate that. :dt880smile:
P7 with smaller battery and probably B&W didn't care to much about safety concern too.

Sigh.... I tried... enjoy your XM3!

Newforce perhaps you work for Sony? Maybe that’s why you defend them and their user-unfriendly design decisions so strongly...
Look, I have a pair of Sony 1000mk3 and they are very good, they have excellent comfort, very good audio and outstanding ANC.
I also have Sennheiser PXC550 and B&W P7w, all are very good, all have plusses and minuses.
Sony could have been a bit smarter with one or two user features that the competition already has. I am sure they will put that right with the next model...

Hey, Graham, how's PXC550? I am looking for sound quality that can match P7W (or close enough) along with similar features like P7W. I thought the MX3 was it but those two issues I described is almost making me to reconsider. Any other that you may recommend? ANC is nice to have but not a must. P7W was nice but comfort was not its strong suit due to small size, tight clamp and firm top cushion.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #1,369 of 2,082
Stop being ridiculous, when ppl argue back about your points so you'll brand them as Sony worker?
When you come to a forum to discuss, so you only expect ppl to just sit down to listening and accept and praise all your raising points, be it valid or invalid? If that's the case, it's no longer a discussion.

That's why I've said, there are things limit can be done or cannot be done, so maybe XM4 they have better electronics design to overcome the demand needed by users.

Uh. yeah, no. We're talking about existing technology that's been in use for over two years. We're talking science. You're saying Sony couldn't make it work because it's technologically not feasable to make it safe.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #1,370 of 2,082
P7W was nice but comfort was not its strong suit due to small size, tight clamp and firm top cushion.

Agree totally with your comments about the P7W’s, I’m using the Sony’s most of the time as they were new at Christmas and I find them a very good compromise - audio not quite as good as P7W but far more comfortable and the ANC is excellent, better than PXC550.
I would try a set of 550’s if you can, they are very close to the Sony’s in audio quality (once set up in Director mode) and they have far more features.
Comfort perhaps not quite as good as the Sony’s but far better than the P7w’s...
P7w audio quality still a shade better than either, but not much in it - they all sound good, it gets down to personal preference and user needs really...

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #1,371 of 2,082
Agree totally with your comments about the P7W’s, I’m using the Sony’s most of the time as they were new at Christmas and I find them a very good compromise - audio not quite as good as P7W but far more comfortable and the ANC is excellent, better than PXC550.
I would try a set of 550’s if you can, they are very close to the Sony’s in audio quality (once set up in Director mode) and they have far more features.
Comfort perhaps not quite as good as the Sony’s but far better than the P7w’s...
P7w audio quality still a shade better than either, but not much in it - they all sound good, it gets down to personal preference and user needs really...

Thanks, maybe I will give 550 a shot. Putting on XM3 after using P7W for a while was like putting on plush down pillows!

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #1,372 of 2,082
Thanks, maybe I will give 550 a shot. Putting on XM3 after using P7W for a while was like putting on plush down pillows!
I have had my P7w’s sitting on a dummy head for a few months and decided to use them yesterday to compare/remind me of their audio quality.
I actually was able to wear them for well over an hour in a hot environment (30 deg summer day here) before I felt the need to remove them! :)
Maybe the dummy head has helped as far as comfort?
But yes, in comparison the XM3’s are supremely comfortable.
The PXC’s are close but not quite but for your use may be OK...
They have auto play/pause as well as auto PO - both user selectable/adjustable.
Sony could learn a thing or two from Senn about user convenience, Sony need to share (or licence) their ANC expertise as they are now the best in that field...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,373 of 2,082
Uh. yeah, no. We're talking about existing technology that's been in use for over two years. We're talking science. You're saying Sony couldn't make it work because it's technologically not feasable to make it safe.
I can use exactly your mentality and say, oh B&W are so out dated, with existing technology they couldn't come out something much lighter, they need to put heavy metal can on your head that make you walk like a bull on the street bcoz B&W felt you are more safe with more heavy metal. Lol..

And with existing technology, they couldn't figure out how to make an proper ANC headphones. Ya we talk about it science too. Lol...

BTW, don't get me wrong. I absolutely like B&W SQ too. I have a P7W for 10 days, after that I refuse to walk like a bull so it ended at someone else head :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #1,374 of 2,082
Actually, the better approach would be to auto power off regardless of a BT connection is active or not.
I suspect these quirks will be fixed in the mk4 version, later this year....
Not quirks, but by design. It's been the same since the original 1000X, and other Sony models do the same thing. There are also people (including on this thread) who have complained about having to keep a Bluetooth connection when they just want the ANC without playing music.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,375 of 2,082
Auto off is tricky in that some users want it and others don't. I can see someone complaining that their headphones always shut off after 5 minutes and they have to hold the power button for 2 seconds to turn them back on - so inconvenient!

Ideally Sony should let us choose our own preference via the app.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #1,376 of 2,082
I can use exactly your mentality and say, oh B&W are so out dated, with existing technology they couldn't come out something much lighter, they need to put heavy metal can on your head that make you walk like a bull on the street bcoz B&W felt you are more safe with more heavy metal. Lol..

And with existing technology, they couldn't figure out how to make an proper ANC headphones. Ya we talk about it science too. Lol...

BTW, don't get me wrong. I absolutely like B&W SQ too. I have a P7W for 10 days, after that I refuse to walk like a bull so it ended at someone else head :dt880smile:

Let's get back to the original issue where you said Sony couldn't let me charge while listening because it would blow up in your face and we reminded you that it's still possible to do that if we followed your logic. :)

Also, have you ever heard of B&W PX, an ANC headphone?

P7W is heavy and that's what happens when you use metal parts and firmer parts, which I personally like aesthetically, but make it uncomftable. But then again you are trying to side track this conversation by brining up facts that are completely not related to the original questions :wink:

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #1,377 of 2,082
Auto off is tricky in that some users want it and others don't. I can see someone complaining that their headphones always shut off after 5 minutes and they have to hold the power button for 2 seconds to turn them back on - so inconvenient!

Ideally Sony should let us choose our own preference via the app.

That's why auto off is configurable form 5 mins to hours or you can turn it off in the app. ANC while no BT is a different story though that I don't care much for.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #1,378 of 2,082
Don’t use the included USB C to USB A cable. They charge much faster when using a USB C to C cable, connected to a good power brick (eg. one that supports USB Power Delivery). As in, 10 minutes should get you several hours of charge.

Make sure they’re powered on when you have an aux cable plugged in; otherwise you get the un-EQ’d sound from the raw drivers, which is pretty awful (as is the case with most ANC headphones). Not sure about the popping noise you mentioned, though. Does that happen with the same cable in other aux sources?

I highly encourage you to play around with a good EQ—with some effort, the XM3 can be made to sound as good as the P7W. (In my humble opinion, with a good EQ profile they actually sound better than the stock P7W signature.)

Did you have a chance to try different EQ profiles in the sony app post-firmware ?

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,379 of 2,082
Nah, not yet. Honestly after the firmware update, just bumping down the ClearBass by -3 or so seems to be pretty effective. I really wish the range was much wider, though... I think what's most successful with these headphones (to my ear, at least) is being able to specifically knock down the volume at 31.5 Hz and 125 Hz, which seems to contribute the most bass bloat. Then, slightly increasing 4 KHz and 16 KHz adds some nice air without becoming strident.

Ironically the midrange is pretty great as-is, which is essentially the only thing the Sony app gives us fine grain control over :rolling_eyes:

Have you had a chance to try these cabled to a good source, with ANC turned off? I know that's the polar opposite use case that they're designed for, but they do scale pretty well. Pairing these with a DragonFly Red and a Sony S12SM1 cable really highlights just how good these cans are at portraying layered instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back