SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #1,381 of 2,082
I don’t think so. It’s been mid-30s around here the past several mornings, but I haven’t noticed phantom swipes—probably not cold enough. I’m curious if anyone has tried the “turn on when out in the cold to calibrate the sensor” suggestion from Sony.

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #1,385 of 2,082
Good news for Samsung S9/S9± users.

Latest Android Pie 9 upgrade, user no longer need to enable "Developer options", you can simply enable LDAC codec within XM3 bt connection profile page.

Screenshot_20190208-113409_Settings.jpg Screenshot_20190207-214738_Settings.jpg Screenshot_20190207-214800_Settings.jpg

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #1,386 of 2,082
Feb 8, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #1,387 of 2,082
I'm surprised there seems to be little to no reaction here concerning the 4.1.1 update and what it seems to do to ANC. Elsewhere people seem to be complaining more and more about the ANC taking several steps back with this FW update. I only use my set at home so haven't really noticed but will do some testing (vacuuming is always a good test to be done at home).

Noticed no difference so far but I haven't used the new firmware much yet.

Regarding XM2, I've tested the XM2 extensively along with the XM3 and the difference in ANC efficiency is very subtle. The charts also show it. XM3 isn't better at all frequencies, but is better at some and pretty the same at the rest.

What improved hugely is the amount of hiss. XM3 is much less hissy, that's the most noticeable difference XM2<>XM3 by far..

Anyway the new firmware supports disabling the annoying "Ambient Mode On" etc, voice prompts, which is something I wanted since they're a bit slow and run over audio.
Unfortunately that also eliminates the short beeps signaning which mode is on (ANC<>No ANC<>Ambient) so there's absolutely no feedback.

It's still possible to differentiate since Ambient leaks in, and ANC On has a very subtle hiss, but not ideal. Sony, can you bring the 3 different beeps back? :D

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #1,388 of 2,082
Noticed no difference so far. I've tested the XM2 extensively along with the XM3 and the difference in ANC efficiency is very subtle. The charts also show it. XM3 isn't better at all frequencies, but is better at some and pretty the same at the rest.

What improved hugely is the amount of hiss. XM3 is much better.

Anyway the new firmware supports disabling the annoying "Ambient Mode On" etc, voice prompts, which is something I wanted since they're a bit slow and run over audio.
Unfortunately that also eliminates the short beets signaning which mode is on (ANC<>No ANC<>Ambient) so there's absolutely no feedback.

It's still possible to differentiate since Ambient leaks in, and ANC On has a very subtle hiss, but not ideal. Sony, can you bring the 3 different beeps back? :D

What do you guys think?
Agreed. Please bring back the beep Sony!

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #1,389 of 2,082
What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Totally agree about the lack of *any* confirmation - I really can’t understand what the Sony design guys are thinking, they obviously don’t use the product otherwise they wouldn’t implement such ridiculous design changes, especially when it’s so easy to give us so much control over a million options via the app...
Please Sony, gives us a small beep as an option when the voice confirmation is silenced. Just as it is on the play/pause etc tap....
Also pls give us configurable auto-power off on playback pause/end as an option, last night I accidentally left mine on all night, iphone BT kept them powered up needlessly.... ☹️

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #1,390 of 2,082
Totally agree about the lack of *any* confirmation - I really can’t understand what the Sony design guys are thinking, they obviously don’t use the product otherwise they wouldn’t implement such ridiculous design changes, especially when it’s so easy to give us so much control over a million options via the app...
Please Sony, gives us a small beep as an option when the voice confirmation is silenced. Just as it is on the play/pause etc tap....

Agree, it's baffling how they would find that normal. I have to agree that it is super fast now, it totally eliminated any pauses, but we could use the 3 different audio beeps.
I'm not sure if this will be easy to implement in case the beeps are actually part of the language audio files - in that case they cannot be separated, but I'm sure some sort of fast beep toggles can (like the beep when ambient mode is activated by putting your hand on the earcup).

I'll still leave the voice off tho. At least it's nice someone at Sony figured out the really long prompts could become annoying when you're fast-toggling between modes.

Edit: ???? It also disables the Battery Level prompt while pressing On/Off. That makes even less sense and is quite impractical for people who don't use the phone app often (I don't). That prompt didn't ever get in the way and was useful.

This firmware update clearly wasn't well planned and needs a new build...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #1,391 of 2,082
Agreed about just keeping the beeps and the spoken battery level, but getting rid of the rest of the voice prompts. Bowers & Wilkins got this right way back with the P5/P7 Wireless and I've missed it ever since. It's a small detail but it makes a big difference in daily usage. C'mon Sony, it can't be that difficult!

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #1,392 of 2,082
Just my two cents, but I prefer the fact that these don't turn off if no music is playing. For long airplane flights or road trips, I want to nap in the car. I loved that the XM3s would stay on and block out engine/road noise, and I wouldn't get woken up by my music. I have left them on accidentally a few times, but the bluetooth logo on my phone prompted me to turn them off.

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,393 of 2,082
Just my two cents, but I prefer the fact that these don't turn off if no music is playing. For long airplane flights or road trips, I want to nap in the car. I loved that the XM3s would stay on and block out engine/road noise, and I wouldn't get woken up by my music. I have left them on accidentally a few times, but the bluetooth logo on my phone prompted me to turn them off.
Yes it's a big plus point for XM3. ANC headphones that would turn off itself when no music was seriously and super annoying and a pain in the axx. I wouldn't say they are stupid, but it's no a brainer they set it that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back