SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Feb 15, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,398 of 2,082
Does anyone know how much water these can take? I usually try to never expose any electronics to water, but what about a light drizzle outside, or say, water that splashes up from doing the dishes?

I try to wear a hood for super hard downpours, but I've exposed mine to light drizzles with no ill effects. I've even had a couple of big drops fall from awnings onto the headphones, and I think one even fell on/near the left external microphone at the top.

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,399 of 2,082
Hi folks,

Have read so much about these cans but have not found so much info about a direct comparison between this model and the bowers & wilkins p7 wireless (that I already own).

I'm very curious about that because, despiste I love my headphones they are far from being perfect in terms of comfort for my liking.

I have tried many bluetooth models, including the sony XM2 model (liked so much its comfort but they had so much worse sound signature comparing with p7) and also the PX (preferred the P7 model over this one due to comfort).

So, in your opinion you would change my p7 wireless for this sony model? If the answer is yes, why?

Please take into account that for me ANC is not a must and probably won't use it.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #1,401 of 2,082
But sound is bassy in a slightly irritating way.
A bit misleading. Try new v4.1.1 firmware the ±2-4dB bass boost that cause bloomy bass are now at reduced rate to almost flat response so the XM3 bass are now much clearer and more articulate. Also with reduced bass, XM3 mid and treble are more clean, clearer and livelier.

From my experience, B&W ANC really sucks. Can you imagine buying a pair of ANC headphones just to find out that it ANC are mediocre? And to make things worst, switch on PX ANC and it degrade SQ badly? OMG... Obviously B&W have no clue how to make a proper ANC headphones.

So if you're looking for a pair of good working ANC headphones, do stay away from B&W, period.

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,402 of 2,082
Hi folks,

Have read so much about these cans but have not found so much info about a direct comparison between this model and the bowers & wilkins p7 wireless (that I already own).

I'm very curious about that because, despiste I love my headphones they are far from being perfect in terms of comfort for my liking.

I have tried many bluetooth models, including the sony XM2 model (liked so much its comfort but they had so much worse sound signature comparing with p7) and also the PX (preferred the P7 model over this one due to comfort).

So, in your opinion you would change my p7 wireless for this sony model? If the answer is yes, why?

Please take into account that for me ANC is not a must and probably won't use it.

Thanks in advance!!
To me ANC was the reason to buy the XM3s. It is brilliant and almost addictive. The sound signature is very good for me, but you can modify it with the software. Works very fine, your settings are saved in the XM3s. And they are very comfy, although tend to warm your ears. I previously had the wired P7. Heavier and less comfy but I loved them. Have heard that the wireless P7 should be even better? Nevertheless, they are probably better sounding than the XM3 without ANC turned on. But you should try to compare with your own ears......

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,403 of 2,082
I think if you love the P7 wireless (which I also owned and loved) and ANC isn't something that you need the XM3 may not have enough to offer. While I remember the P7W as having strong bass, I think it was in stock signature less prominent than the stock XM3 (I haven't updated firmware so if that changes the XM3 bass I have no knowledge). Personally I needed to cut the bass down on the XM3 via equalization in my music player (ONKYO HF Player) and once done I simply love the XM3. It would be interesting to have the P7W on hand to compare with as It has been about 3 years since I sold my set.

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,404 of 2,082
A bit misleading. Try new v4.1.1 firmware the ±2-4dB bass boost that cause bloomy bass are now at reduced rate to almost flat response so the XM3 bass are now much clearer and more articulate. Also with reduced bass, XM3 mid and treble are more clean, clearer and livelier..

I agree that the new firmware improved the bass situation. And that's why i said "slightly"... but it's not gone.

SoulViper mentioned he doesn't care much about ANC. And If that's the case, I'd actually recommend to check out the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2. Better sound signature (lively and detailed, but more balanced and clearer, and slightly better soundstage), and IMHO comfortable enough. And has dual A2DP.

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,405 of 2,082
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!!

I owned both at one point then sold P7W after getting the M3 but not because M3 is superior. The answer to your question is not an easy yes or no. It's up to your priority. SQ-wise P7W is better in every way. Is it a night-and-day difference? No, but listening to them side by side there certainly is a difference. Crisper highs and tighter lows on P7W. After listening to P7W for a while and immediately putting on M3 I hear a thin veil over the sound. After a while, it goes away because my ears get used to it. What forced me to turn to different wireless headphones was comfort. I don't care too much about ANC as passive NC on P7W was enough for me. But the comfort was awful with P7W. I have a pain point on top after a hour of use and the tight clamping force + small ear pads would make it uncomfortable for longer use. Battery life (20 hrs) was sufficient for my needs as well as the features available.

All in all, if you are currently fine with the SQ, passive NC and comfort (which sounds like you are not :frowning2: ) then keep your P7W.
If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of SQ but in return get superior comfort (by P7W standard :) ) and longer battery time with auto power-off (caveat: you will have to remember to turn off your BT if you want the auto-off function to work. If you just take off your headphone without manually turning BT off, the headphone will stay on until the battery dies. Great feature :wink: ) Oh, and you can't use M3 while charging through the USB cable.

I sold by P7W shortly after buying M3 and am debating what to do with M3. If there is a passive NC cans with the same SQ as P7W and comfort as M3 that would be my perfect wireless cans but I have not found them, yet...

BTW, the comfort or lack there of was enough for me to ditch the P7W although I loved the SQ because I found myself not using them enough.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,408 of 2,082
Definitely try them out if you can. Keep in mind that the initial firmware version that shipped with the XM3 had the default bass setting jacked way far up, and that they flattened that out quite a bit with a subsequent update. So, you may end up hearing the initial firmware's sound when you get try them out (you'll know this is the case if the bass sounds 'tubby' and loose).

Just to add to what other folks have said: the P7W handily wins over the XM3 when it comes to out-of-the-box sound (despite the P7W's rather hefty mid bass), and build quality. But if you're willing to EQ the XM3 (either via Sony's app if you use AAC, or via any other third party music player), it can sound as good if not better given its great instrument layering and soundstage. Once you've done that, the XM3 wins with its superior comfort, portability, fast charge/long lasting battery, USB C, and its stellar ANC. Even if you don't plan on using ANC often, it makes a night and day difference in being able to hear subtleties when there's a lot of ambient noise. The P7W passive isolation isn't really comparable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're both excellent wireless headphones, and out of the box, the P7W sounds better than the XM3. However if you're willing to EQ the XM3, it'll easily sound as good, plus you get a litany of other benefits (primarily a substantial increase in comfort). That said, If applying an EQ isn't really appealing (and if comfort isn't a dealbreaker), then stick with the P7W. Hopefully you're able to try them out soon; make sure to let us know what you think!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #1,409 of 2,082
It's all about player + headphones matching.

Couple the right sound signature PCDP, DAP or cellphone with XM3 on new v4.1.1 firmware, XM3 will really sIngs and sound as good as many other good SQ headphones without,

1 the heavy weight cause pain issues
2 outdoor annoying noises issue
3 activated ANC the cans SQ become totally unlistenable issue
4 activated ANC and it'll create vacuum pressure like to your ears issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back