SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Dec 2, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #976 of 2,082
Asking for a little help. I've been out of the portable audio game for a little bit and looking to get back in. I recently purchased the Sony NW-A45 and am looking for some headphones. In the past I've really enjoyed the Sony MDR-1A; I've narrowed my choices to the MDR-1AM2 and the WH-1000XM3. Based on sound alone how do these two headphones compare? Thanks.

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #977 of 2,082
15437863162438300286362433937546.jpg
Dekoni sheepskin fitted to the X3's ears off the driver that bit more gives it a touch more spaciousness and the bass still has plenty of punch but more controlled and the comfort now for me is excellent, not that the stock are in anyway bad, the Dekoni just add that bit extra.

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #978 of 2,082
Asking for a little help. I've been out of the portable audio game for a little bit and looking to get back in. I recently purchased the Sony NW-A45 and am looking for some headphones. In the past I've really enjoyed the Sony MDR-1A; I've narrowed my choices to the MDR-1AM2 and the WH-1000XM3. Based on sound alone how do these two headphones compare? Thanks.
Dunno about the 1AM2, but any Best Buy with a Magnolia section should have both available for demo. If you’ve narrowed it down to these two, just take your music and try them out yourself

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #979 of 2,082
I owned the PM3 and loved it, had a custom cable made to drive it balanced from an Onkyo DP X1. Now while it has been a long time since owning the Oppo, I personally do not feel they sound better (subjectively speaking) in fact, for me, the gorgeous treble on the Sony, and the good to excellent bass and mids (again subjective) make the xM3 the winner for me, certainly as a portable. The fact that you can get this type of sound quality from a wireless portable with plenty of comfort, although I found the Oppo comfortable, is just amazing. In fact, it was the Oppo that made me go wireless for portable. I was tired of the cable getting snagged on everything, or having to consider the way the barrel of the headphone cable was sitting to avoid cable strain. Just so much work to deal with cables, not worth it for me in my truly portable needs scenario. Ditched all cabled portables and have never regretted it for a moment.

I actually look forward to listening to the Sony xM3 and feel that it truly does deliver fantastic sound quality, enough so that I love exploring music with it, or just forgetting and listening. It must have the bass trimmed well and properly to bring out the best, but when done right, it nails it for me. The treble is bloody brilliant, cymbal work is one great test of natural tone and having played drums for over 30 years I personally feel the treble is very cohesive and natural sounding. My take, nothing more, nothing less.
And this is why I do not hesitate to make comparisons between quality headphones, even if there is a significant price difference... everyone has their own preference and ears... I have not retained my upper range hearing as well as you, so the mid and upper treble are not as evident in my comparisons, while the bass differences are front and center. Having said that, convenience is very valuable, that is why I’m trying out the es100 clipped to my pm-3s as a wireless solution. Working well so far, just need to find a good 6” cable with a narrow collar on one end (or make my own). With a noisy environment though? No competition... xm3 at low/moderate volume. It is just fantastic to be able to escape when I want and to do so with good sound quality.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #980 of 2,082
Dunno about the 1AM2, but any Best Buy with a Magnolia section should have both available for demo. If you’ve narrowed it down to these two, just take your music and try them out yourself

My Bestbuy doesn't have a Magnolia section. I can only audition the 1000XM3, but I have no way to audition the 1AM2, that's why I was asking what people thought hear. I value the opinions on headfi; folks here have really become a valuable asset to this hobby. Thanks.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #981 of 2,082
My Bestbuy doesn't have a Magnolia section. I can only audition the 1000XM3, but I have no way to audition the 1AM2, that's why I was asking what people thought hear. I value the opinions on headfi; folks here have really become a valuable asset to this hobby. Thanks.
Understood... wasn’t trying to be snarky. Good
Luck!

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #982 of 2,082

1AM2 should be pretty close in sound quality/tuning, but I'd be surprised if they don't sound considerably better. Same driver too AFAIK. Read a comparison that put them in for light compared to the Z1R, which is saying a lot.

If you don't need ANC, ambient sound and TouchPad tricks, it might be a reasonable alternative.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #984 of 2,082
They are targeted at very different purposes, and I expect the 1AM2 to have better sound quality than the 1000XM3 (high quality wired vs wireless+ANC). Have you compared your current MDR-1A to the 1000XM3? I wouldn't be surprised if even the MDR-1A has better sound. If you find that MDR-1A already sounds better, I'm thinking that you might consider keeping your MDR-1A for stationary use, and getting the 1000XM3 to complement it for portable. The 1000XM3's wireless and ANC are big benefits during portable operation.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #985 of 2,082
I no longer have the MDR-1A, have not had them for a couple years. I sold off all my cans. From what I can remember I loved the sound of the 1A's. Preferred them over Senn Momentums and V-Moda M-100's. I will be using the new cans primarily while working in an office environment. I also take 1 flight a year for work. Maybe the 1000XM3 would be a good pick. Thanks for all the replies.

Dec 2, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #986 of 2,082
If you are pairing them with a Sony (or other) device with LDAC Bluetooth you will enjoy the benefit over regular Blutooth or APTX HD Bluetooth.

I bought the headphones because they were said to have the best NC and had LDAC. I am not disappointed. I upgraded from the Bose QC 30 in~ears / neck band which I will still keep for use in the gym or if the weather is really bad.

LDAC and hi res files (played off my new Fiio M9) is blowing my mind.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #987 of 2,082
They are targeted at very different purposes, and I expect the 1AM2 to have better sound quality than the 1000XM3 (high quality wired vs wireless+ANC). Have you compared your current MDR-1A to the 1000XM3? I wouldn't be surprised if even the MDR-1A has better sound. If you find that MDR-1A already sounds better, I'm thinking that you might consider keeping your MDR-1A for stationary use, and getting the 1000XM3 to complement it for portable. The 1000XM3's wireless and ANC are big benefits during portable operation.
Wired doesn't make an iota of difference in my experience. It may be different for you, but I find no hit to sound quality with well done wireless, none appreciable anyway.

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #988 of 2,082
I really like real leather touch of my P7W and I would love to try these on XM3's which I ordered. I've just had a look Dekoni sheepskin listings on Amazon, but I saw a few different types. Could you please share the link the one that you are using?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Dekoni+Sheepskin

Dekoni sheepskin fitted to the X3's ears off the driver that bit more gives it a touch more spaciousness and the bass still has plenty of punch but more controlled and the comfort now for me is excellent, not that the stock are in anyway bad, the Dekoni just add that bit extra.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #989 of 2,082
If you are pairing them with a Sony (or other) device with LDAC Bluetooth you will enjoy the benefit over regular Blutooth or APTX HD Bluetooth.

I bought the headphones because they were said to have the best NC and had LDAC. I am not disappointed. I upgraded from the Bose QC 30 in~ears / neck band which I will still keep for use in the gym or if the weather is really bad.

LDAC and hi res files (played off my new Fiio M9) is blowing my mind.
I'm about to be on a review tour of the M9 so looking forward to that. You will need to use a wired headphone sometime to test out the M9s internals as you know when going wireless to a headphone the DAC section in the M9 is bypassed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back