SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 11, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #841 of 2,082
I’m very interested in that comparison listening to XM1 as I type. Please also cover call quality with which my model has always struggled
I was looking into the X1 because it has LDAC as well. What I found out was that the drivers output more distortions than the X2 and 3. On the other hand, the X1 looks the most linear response wise. Not sure sonically, how significant of a difference from X1 to X3? It just doesn't seem like the older models' prices get marked down much.

Does the X1 have issues with fragile-ness of the frames? More so than the X3?

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #844 of 2,082
Same here. That's what I said before, and with ANC on, it sounds better. Perhaps there is EQ being applied with ANC on. I dunno why Rtings didn't measure the response without power?

It sounds fine with wired and power on, but no ANC. The signal must be going through the headphone's DAC/amp. I wonder how it sounds without power if it's plugged into an amp.

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #845 of 2,082
It sounds fine with wired and power on, but no ANC. The signal must be going through the headphone's DAC/amp. I wonder how it sounds without power if it's plugged into an amp.
Anything that outputs analog audio signal is essentially an amp or at least the output has an amp. I have tried my much more powerful (than something like a DAP or smartphone) dedicated headphone amp, and it still didn't sound as good. The issue is when the headphone is being used wired without it powered on.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #846 of 2,082
Is it just me or is the sound quality through wired and power off awful?
Not surprising at all. Many powered headphones sound bad when driven passively with power off (Bose is another example). The drivers have roll-off and uneven response, and they take advantage of the electronics to actively equalize and fix the response.

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #847 of 2,082
Anything that outputs analog audio signal is essentially an amp or at least the output has an amp. I have tried my much more powerful (than something like a DAP or smartphone) dedicated headphone amp, and it still didn't sound as good. The issue is when the headphone is being used wired without it powered on.

So it's not an issue of power. Thanks for the info regarding your amp. I guess I'll return them, too bad, I quite like everything else about them. I'm also testing out the Marshall Mid ANC, and they sound nice but the ANC is lacking a bit.

Nov 12, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #848 of 2,082
So it's not an issue of power. Thanks for the info regarding your amp. I guess I'll return them, too bad, I quite like everything else about them. I'm also testing out the Marshall Mid ANC, and they sound nice but the ANC is lacking a bit.
Hi
On the user manual you can find a sentence were they say
Enjoy high definition audio when using the included cable and headphones turned ON
you can still use the headphones with the cable when they are turned off (no mention of the hi def audio here)

I didn't copy past but this is basically what I read, the manual is available online and you can print a pdf copy if needed, it contains lot good information about the headphones.

For those suffering from driver popping, they also mentioned this in the manual and they say that the unit is not faulty and it's normal to have occasional popping sound from the driver on this kind of headphones.

Nov 12, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #849 of 2,082
I think it's because there's an analogue to digital process taking place when used wired and powered. This is then run through the DSP process before being converted back to analogue for playback. This process is circumvented when used passively. Pretty sure that's what's going on with these and why they sound much better when powered. Just goes to show what good DSP can do.

When using these phones wired and active with my LG V20 it doesn't appear to make much difference if the on-board DAC on the V20 is switched on or off. These are the only headphones that do this - all my others sound much MUCH better with the DAC enabled.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #850 of 2,082
I think it's because there's an analogue to digital process taking place when used wired and powered. This is then run through the DSP process before being converted back to analogue for playback. This process is circumvented when used passively. Pretty sure that's what's going on with these and why they sound much better when powered. Just goes to show what good DSP can do.

When using these phones wired and active with my LG V20 it doesn't appear to make much difference if the on-board DAC on the V20 is switched on or off. These are the only headphones that do this - all my others sound much MUCH better with the DAC enabled.
You are definitely right about this one, there must be some processing to drive these headphones. This are not regular headphones, you can find also that the impedance is different when the headphones are ON or OFF when wired.
Off 16 ohm
ON 47 ohm
Also the sensitivity is different.
All in all, these should be always turned on when listening to music whether using the cable or not.

ANC headphones are a bit more complicated than regular headphones with no in-line electronics, it is to be expected that their drivers are not regular type and to be able to listen to music the way it was intended to work, the headphone needs to be powered on.

30 hours are plenty for 2 to 3 weeks of casual use, and maybe at least a week with regular use.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #851 of 2,082

Any difference in sound with the V20 DAC on/off when using the headphones passively?

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #853 of 2,082
From memory, ANC in PX was really good enough for me for daily use, even the Office mode was good enough. Visually they were amazing and sound was still most engaging among ANC BT Headphones that I heard ( Boose, H9i, H9, MDR-1000X, MDR-1000mk2, MDR-1000mk3, B&W PX), but they are so uncomfortable and heavy that they were on the edge of unusable. But, if B&W makes mk2 of PX, with half a kilo less and new pads, I will be first to buy them.

Saying that, Sony 1000mk3 are doing amazing job as my daily. Recently I tried them against my big Ipad Pro->AKG N40 IEM, and made an EQ that makes mk3 closer to them , far more fun.
https://files.fm/u/u2ksjdwe

One thing I found surprising is that N40 have really strong bass hit, so -2 for Clear Bass, but I had to make this funy 0 at 6.5K and +3 at 16k to give them some air.

what music your listening to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back