SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 9, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #827 of 2,082
Seems my finger slipped and I ordered the 1000XM3. It's not here yet, but if anyone is curious I can later compare it side-by-side with my 1000X[M1] (the first generation) and also the MDR-Z1R (because why not).

Comparing to the Z1R is a bit silly but might provide a baseline aligned with the typical Sony tuning. As for the 1000X vs XM3, this is perhaps more relevant in my opinion, as the 1000X can now be bought for around 100 EUR/USD less.
Frame/Features/Sound will have to justify that difference when considering if the 1000X is still the wiser choice in terms of value.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #828 of 2,082
Seems my finger slipped and I ordered the 1000XM3. It's not here yet, but if anyone is curious I can later compare it side-by-side with my 1000X[M1] (the first generation) and also the MDR-Z1R (because why not).

Comparing to the Z1R is a bit silly but might provide a baseline aligned with the typical Sony tuning. As for the 1000X vs XM3, this is perhaps more relevant in my opinion, as the 1000X can now be bought for around 100 EUR/USD less.
Frame/Features/Sound will have to justify that difference when considering if the 1000X is still the wiser choice in terms of value.

I’m very interested in that comparison listening to XM1 as I type. Please also cover call quality with which my model has always struggled

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #829 of 2,082
I’m very interested in that comparison listening to XM1 as I type. Please also cover call quality with which my model has always struggled

Will do. There is actually a curious high number of critical reviews of Amazon stating that the call quality is worse due to the new technology used for the microphones. Strangely, other users and pro reviews report the opposite. Might be dependent on unit, or perhaps firmware version.

XM1 are good enough for me in calls, but I pretty much only use them for calls while indoors, with almost no background noise. Will try to do a 1:1 between the two models in a more challenging scenario.

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #831 of 2,082
Will do. There is actually a curious high number of critical reviews of Amazon stating that the call quality is worse due to the new technology used for the microphones. Strangely, other users and pro reviews report the opposite. Might be dependent on unit, or perhaps firmware version.

XM1 are good enough for me in calls, but I pretty much only use them for calls while indoors, with almost no background noise. Will try to do a 1:1 between the two models in a more challenging scenario.

I can't compare with other Sony mics, but the people I've called using the XM3s, both in quiet settings and walking around crowded downtown streets, say that the mic quality is fine. It was particularly better than the Bowers & Wilkins PX while walking around downtown. Not perfect, but better.

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #832 of 2,082
Been using the XM3 for a week now. I have previously had the XM2 (which I liked but sold when the XM3 came out) and the PX (great sound, but awful comfort and app so we're returned). This is not a direct comparison. I agree with what others have said the noise cancelling and sound quality are better than the XM2. The bass is more bloated, but I found it fine when in noisy environments and only noticed when listening at home ini quiet. Comfort wise - I found the deeper ear cups are a bit more comfortable, but the headband is slightly less comfortable than the XM2. For calls my other half said I was much clearer with the XM3 than I was with XM2 (and PX).

However I have had 2 issues. 1. Bluetooth dropouts/skipping especially when in busy areas (do these things suffer from interference?) even though my phone is less than 2ft away, but also occurs at home. 2. Popping (driver flex) - especially on the right. Any change in air pressure or minimal pressure on the right ear cup creates this and is very annoying.

So sadly these are going back. Not sure if I just have a duff pair and should get a replacement, or try the NAD HP70.

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #833 of 2,082
However I have had 2 issues. 1. Bluetooth dropouts/skipping especially when in busy areas (do these things suffer from interference?) even though my phone is less than 2ft away, but also occurs at home. 2. Popping (driver flex) - especially on the right. Any change in air pressure or minimal pressure on the right ear cup creates this and is very annoying.
So sadly these are going back. Not sure if I just have a duff pair and should get a replacement, or try the NAD HP70.

Will be paying attention to both. Connectivity has never been a problem for me with the X1, at least not while at a decent distance from the source. Still, Bluetooth 5 might have helped, early to say at this point TBH.
Popping sounds are not to be expected in any way tho. Remind me of the squeaking issue with the first X1 units, although that was purely the plastics.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #834 of 2,082
I didn't have connectivity issues with the XM2. When I first used the XM3 at home it seemed fine, but when I was in the airport waiting on my flight it was dropping out at least once a minute. The popping wasn't a big problem on the plane, I guess as pressure changes were gradual, but on the training was ridiculous and trying to lie in bed and listen was even worse (as the pillow presses against the ear cup).

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #835 of 2,082

I haven't had any interference issues, even in busy areas or a fully-loaded bus, using an iPhone 7. Within the app, have you tried changing the connection preferences to prioritize stable connection? I leave mine on "prioritize sound quality"

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #836 of 2,082
I haven't had any interference issues, even in busy areas or a fully-loaded bus, using an iPhone 7. Within the app, have you tried changing the connection preferences to prioritize stable connection? I leave mine on "prioritize sound quality"

Doing so switches to SBC, and it still happens the same. I have also played around with the codec, sample rate and bit rate settings in android. It makes a bit of a difference (dropouts a bit less frequent), but doesn't fix the issue

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #837 of 2,082
I have mine on prioritize SQ from an iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro and Win10 AIO and haven't experienced any dropouts. I walk around usually within 10 ft and no issues. I have a friend who has the same issue on a Plantronics headset (dropping, breaking up) and I have the same headset and no issues. We ultimately traced it back to his phone which for whatever reason doesn't pair as well with the Voyager as mine does. So could be an issue with your source or maybe a bum unit.

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #838 of 2,082
Same here, I have never had a dropout. Full disclosure that is with my phone being on my person, but I did once walk around my apartment without any issue at all.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #839 of 2,082
Been using the XM3 for a week now. I have previously had the XM2 (which I liked but sold when the XM3 came out) and the PX (great sound, but awful comfort and app so we're returned). This is not a direct comparison. I agree with what others have said the noise cancelling and sound quality are better than the XM2. The bass is more bloated, but I found it fine when in noisy environments and only noticed when listening at home ini quiet. Comfort wise - I found the deeper ear cups are a bit more comfortable, but the headband is slightly less comfortable than the XM2. For calls my other half said I was much clearer with the XM3 than I was with XM2 (and PX).

Hi, I bit further back in this thread I talked about popping/clicking. There are various people having this issue on reddit too. I bought a pair of Xm3s a few weeks ago and the left cup was popping. It seemed to not happen for an hour or so and then start happening for a few hours. It would pop when I walked, went up the stairs, and then I realised it happened every time I presses the left up even a little bit. The pop wasn't loud, but it was enough to annoy me and I was listening for it with no music on. It was certainly the ANC because it didn't happen without ANC on.

I returned them and waited a week or two for them to be back in stock. I actually then bought 2 pairs as I was leaving the country a few days later for 6 months! So I needed to make sure one of them worked and I'd return the other on the way to the airport. Turns out both the new ones worked fine, and instead I obsessed over which one to choose! (I'm obsessive!). I tested them both for hours in the house, running up and down the stairs etc. I think the first batch had the popping issues, but then there was a few week wait for the second batch to come through and they must have dealt with it. I know Sony were waiting on a part, but that might have been an excuse while they figured out the issue?

From what I've read ANC headphones do make noises with certain changes in air pressure or the mic's being overloaded in brief moments. For instance I was on a bus the other day and the window was slightly open and we kept going over bumps, and you could fell that kind of 'whomping' air pressure noise without headphones on. This was causing my Xm3's to pop. But I looked it up and people were saying it happened with Bose etc too. Its a shortcoming or result of how the technology works.

As for the Bluetooth connectivity, I only had one experience of it glitching for a split second when walking down the street. I need to see how that pans out, but maybe 'stable connection' in certain situations is more appropriate.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #840 of 2,082
Hi, I bit further back in this thread I talked about popping/clicking. There are various people having this issue on reddit too. I bought a pair of Xm3s a few weeks ago and the left cup was popping. It seemed to not happen for an hour or so and then start happening for a few hours. It would pop when I walked, went up the stairs, and then I realised it happened every time I presses the left up even a little bit. The pop wasn't loud, but it was enough to annoy me and I was listening for it with no music on. It was certainly the ANC because it didn't happen without ANC on.

Quite the adventure you had there. By gen 3 I would have expected Sony to pump these out flawlessly, but it seems there are still a few mentions of problems.
I researched the M3 extensively this weekend and most complaints seem to be due to the usual misuse/unrealistic expectations, but three were mentioned often:

- Problems with calls and the other side not getting good audio. Most reports are vague and don't mention conditions (indoor conf call in silence? outdoor with lots of background noise and wind? etc).
M3 is the first in the line to use multiple MEMS microphones instead of the M1/M2 Electret condenser mic, so I would expect the call performance to improve vs the 1000X/M2, not the opposite.
- Mentions of pops due to pressure changes (firmware issues related to the use of the new barometer? or just something mechanical?). Seems odd driver flex would be a problem at this stage, and Sony solved the issues first gens had with squeaking/creaking pastic hinges/cups (I had to sandpaper my early 1000X).
- The usual complains about connections to multiple BT devices not being easy - this one is well deserved. Doubt it's a limitation in the Qualcomm chipsets (it's the same BT chip the 1000X/M2 used tho) so maybe Sony didn't think it was worth the R&D.

Staying optimistic for now. Will have a pair next to my 1000X soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back