SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #706 of 2,082
but then noticed a clicking/popping sound in the left ear when ANC is on. It's when I move my head around or walk, or press on the left cup.
Perhaps your left ear is slightly different size and touches the earpad or inner compartment causing the noise? If that wasn't the case I suggest you bring it to Sony for solution.
Also, you might want to upgrade your XM3 to latest firmware to see if it help solve your problem .

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #709 of 2,082
Perhaps your left ear is slightly different size and touches the earpad or inner compartment causing the noise? If that wasn't the case I suggest you bring it to Sony for solution.
Also, you might want to upgrade your XM3 to latest firmware to see if it help solve your problem .

Thanks, well there is obviously something wrong with mine if other peoples don't pop. It is definitely nothing to do with my ear touching anything, or anything 'physical' like that. It is only when the ANC is on, and it happens with movement or some reddit users have mentioned a change in pressure. There are various posts on Reddit with people experiencing the same thing, and it seems that maybe there was a bad batch. I think my only choice is to return them, as much as I would love to keep them. Then maybe buy again at some point when they become available

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #710 of 2,082
No, only slightly. I wrote this earlier:

Sony made incremental improvements across the board — sound quality, ANC, comfort, weight, battery life. No single improvement is enough to justify updating, but the sum total might be worth it for you.
The reason I asked is the following review in Android Central:
The WH1000XM3 puts all of Sony's expertise on headphones to use, combining the best active noise canceling we've ever heard with great sound quality, excellent battery life, and convenient gesture controls.

Pros
  • QN1 processor vastly improves noise-canceling
  • 32-bit audio processing
  • Charges over USB-C
  • Intuitive gesture controls
Sony's previous generation of ANC headphones still sounds fantastic, with its noise-canceling rivaling that of the popular Bose QC35. If you don't mind using Micro-USB, these are still a great buy.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #711 of 2,082
Thanks, well there is obviously something wrong with mine if other peoples don't pop. It is definitely nothing to do with my ear touching anything, or anything 'physical' like that. It is only when the ANC is on, and it happens with movement or some reddit users have mentioned a change in pressure. There are various posts on Reddit with people experiencing the same thing, and it seems that maybe there was a bad batch. I think my only choice is to return them, as much as I would love to keep them. Then maybe buy again at some point when they become available
Try turning off the adaptive aspect of noise cancelling. I sometimes get little thumps when I'm sitting close to the door of the bus and somebody goes out or comes in and the door closes with a bang. Change of pressure, concussive force? Not sure, but I do experience the little low frequency thumps from time to time, even if the bus hits a rough spot and it is very jarring sometimes that may trigger a thump. Not sure if our experiences are at all related. These happen rather infrequently for me and as such not a problem, at least not yet. Sorry that you're experiencing such an issue, but really do try getting rid of the adaptive noise cancelling and see if that helps.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #712 of 2,082
Try turning off the adaptive aspect of noise cancelling. I sometimes get little thumps when I'm sitting close to the door of the bus and somebody goes out or comes in and the door closes with a bang. Change of pressure, concussive force? Not sure, but I do experience the little low frequency thumps from time to time, even if the bus hits a rough spot and it is very jarring sometimes that may trigger a thump. Not sure if our experiences are at all related. These happen rather infrequently for me and as such not a problem, at least not yet. Sorry that you're experiencing such an issue, but really do try getting rid of the adaptive noise cancelling and see if that helps.

Hi, I didn't ever have adaptive noise cancelling on. I made sure the firmware was updated, reset the headphones, charged them fully, still the same issue. When you say thump, is it like a little pop, kind of muffled low mid frequency pop? Almost like east popping Guess but quite subtle and quiet?

Everyone on reddit says take them back. I called Richer sounds and they said they had a pair returned for the exact same reason. They also confirmed Sony are waiting on parts so theres none available. But he mentioned maybe they were trying to fix the issue and stalling! That wouldn't surprise me! The issue may not be universal or consistent between pairs, but its common enough. Part of me wonders if a lot of people even notice it or are bothered by it. Maybe its more widespread than we think.

Try using yours with no music, just ANC on, and walking up and down some stairs, press the ear cup, or go into a small room and close and open the door. All of these things caus eit for me most of the time

Im taking mine back to John Lewis now. Id love to keep them but I cant live with random popping noises :)

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #713 of 2,082
Try turning off the adaptive aspect of noise cancelling. I sometimes get little thumps when I'm sitting close to the door of the bus and somebody goes out or comes in and the door closes with a bang. Change of pressure, concussive force?
I experience this a bunch as well, also while on the bus, and when a window is open near the front. I've found that changing the ANC setting to Wind Reduction (one notch down from full-on Noise Cancelling) reduces the effect a bit... you might give that a try and see if it helps.

The EQ modifications are only working when using the phone, right ? These are not saved in the xm3's memory or something like that ?
This has been discussed a bunch earlier in this thread: the EQ settings are saved to the headphones, and the last setting is automatically used until it is changed. The only exception is if you switch Bluetooth sources, or use a codec other than AAC or SBC.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #714 of 2,082
This has been discussed a bunch earlier in this thread: the EQ settings are saved to the headphones, and the last setting is automatically used until it is changed. The only exception is if you switch Bluetooth sources, or use a codec other than AAC or SBC.

Thank you ! I wanted a confirmation because when I used the demo xm3 at my local store, the EQ settings were not even saved between two bluetooth connexions (switching between my current headphone and the demo xm3), I had to re-set the profile in the app every time, which surprised me a lot. I wasn't sure if it was caused by the xm3 being a demo version.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #715 of 2,082
I experience this a bunch as well, also while on the bus, and when a window is open near the front. I've found that changing the ANC setting to Wind Reduction (one notch down from full-on Noise Cancelling) reduces the effect a bit... you might give that a try and see if it helps.
I will thanks, I forgot that this was discussed a little back, by you I assume. I'll try it.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #717 of 2,082
Hope it helps a little! I assume those ANC thumps are caused by sudden changes in pressure... they're super annoying (sometimes enough to turn off ANC altogether until off of the bus).
So when I use the Sony app there is no setting for Wind Reduction, unless I am missing something. There is simply a numerical slider scale with 20 being the highest, but if you move the slider, it activates ambient sound control, but again, no mention of Wind Reduction. If I use the NC/Ambient Sound button on the left ear cup while looking at the app while it is connected, first press turns on the Ambient Sound control, a second press turns off Ambient Sound and a third press turns on ANC. I must admit, I am a little confused as at times it seems that ANC and Ambient Sound Control are separate things, but it appears they are linked. I have never bothered with ANC as I always have my music so loud that I can't hear any but the loudest noises so I have preferred to keep all DSP to the absolute minimum. Typically I avoid even an EQ. So I find myself a fish out of water where ANC is concerned. So I have a question, is Ambient Sound Control really just ANC and that by turning Ambient Sound off via the app or left ear cup button that turns off ANC? I haven't had much time to experiment or research this so any info would be great. I think I am rather confused about this, or maybe not?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #718 of 2,082
I see it as the first setting below full ANC—it’s super easy to miss though.

wind_noise_reduction_crop.jpeg

I think ANC and Ambient Noise Control are indeed separate; Ambient noise control is just a method of letting in some of your surroundings that ANC would otherwise squash. Honestly I don’t use it for anything other than wind noise reduction when on the bus. When I need to hear something going on outside, IMO it’s easier to just hold my hand on the right ear up (which temporarily turns ambient noise control on full blast), or just take the headphones off.

I have never bothered with ANC as I always have my music so loud that I can't hear any but the loudest noises so I have preferred to keep all DSP to the absolute minimum.
K that’s hardcore :jack_o_lantern: I worry about listening too loud, so I’m usually on the other end of the spectrum.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #719 of 2,082
Oh and one more note: once you set the level of ambient noise control you want (for example, wind noise reduction) that will be the default ambient noise control setting until it’s changed. It’s a lot like the EQ in that sense. Once you set it in the app, all you need to do is cycle through the modes via the hardware button to get back to it.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #720 of 2,082
So I have a question, is Ambient Sound Control really just ANC and that by turning Ambient Sound off via the app or left ear cup button that turns off ANC?
ANC works by a microphone listening to external sounds, and mixing its inverse with the audio signal. Ambient Sound affects how the microphone signal is mixed with the audio signal. It can be mixed in to produce certain effects, e.g. to highlight human voices while still suppressing low rumbling noises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back