SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #287 of 2,082
Sep 21, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #288 of 2,082
I've just purchased this headphone and have been disappointed with the hugely exaggerated bass (+5db according to the measurements above). The elephant in the room is that the headphone cannot be EQ'd with Sony's software if you want to use LDAC or a wire (LDAC is a major selling point of the phones). I have had to use a parametric EQ plugin for my audio player to make it listenable. The noise cancelling is however fantastic and for that reason I'm probably not going to send it back. I am however wondering if I should have purchased the QC35.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #289 of 2,082
What EQ settings are people using?

I’ve found the setting below to work pretty well when when at home, with NC turned off. The ‘ClearBass’ setting feels like a proxy for a subwoofer effect... I like leaving some of that on, but it really sounds better suited for being out and about in a noisy environment.

xm3_eq.png

I'm not willing to give up LDAC, so I have to EQ using my audio player. I use a parametric EQ to lessen the bass by about 5db from 250Hz downwards and boost around 5KHz to recover the dip there.
What were Sony thinking making the bass so exaggerated?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #290 of 2,082
I'm not willing to give up LDAC, so I have to EQ using my audio player. What were Sony thinking making the bass so exaggerated?

Try the MDR-Z7, then we can talk about Exaggerated BASS.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #291 of 2,082
Well, to me the QC35 (II) sounded thick but tamed somehow. I own the M2's and the NC felt noticably better while comparing them with QC35 in noise environment.
While commuting by train I actually love the M2's. No idea if the M3's are better but they were nearly twice the price during my purchase.So I'm fine with the M2's and their more neutral sound. No need to tune them up to now.
Only weakness seems the step down in SQ when using cabled - but they are my commute HPs and for great sound with possible need for NC the PSBs M4U2 are the best in this discipline (sound!) for me (but they now develop the infamous headband cracks again - 2 pairs already exchanged).
So Paul B. (if you read this!): I'm really looking for opportunities having the same GREAT (active/NC) sound than before, without this poor material of the U2's!!
Wonder if I would be ever going back to PSB - all that said with pains...

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #292 of 2,082
What EQ settings are people using?

I’ve found the setting below to work pretty well when when at home, with NC turned off. The ‘ClearBass’ setting feels like a proxy for a subwoofer effect... I like leaving some of that on, but it really sounds better suited for being out and about in a noisy environment.

xm3_eq.png

400 and 1k are part of the mid range. Shouldn't you be boosting them instead of lowering them further, if you want a balanced frequency response?

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #295 of 2,082
400 and 1k are part of the mid range. Shouldn't you be boosting them instead of lowering them further, if you want a balanced frequency response?
Sure. I was mostly just trying to lower some of the mid bass in favor of vocals, without making anything fatiguing. Pushing those up and moving ClearBass all the way down would probably be more balanced.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #296 of 2,082
XM2 is my compromise headphones on flights when I am away from my home system. This is maybe 6-8 times a year. I know the XM3 improved on call quality but I wouldn't use that too much. (Tried to make a call on XM2 once and that was quite dreadful.) These NC headphones are strictly for my flights only 6-8 times a year. Does it worth to upgrade my XM2 to the XM3 purely for better SQ? USB C is a nice touch, but can't be the only reason to upgrade. Does the XM3 really sound that much better compared to the XM2 (UAPP, LDAC android). As far as I know the driver in the XM3 is the same as in the XM2. Prove me wrong please.
I've been using XM2 on my daily commute and flights for over a year. I've looked at a lot of XM3 reviews and feedback, and the response is consistent that most people think XM3 has improved in every area over the XM2 — comfort, SQ, call quality, ANC (although some conflicting opinions in this thread about ANC).

I'm inclined to upgrade to XM3, but I'm hesitating because Bose is way overdue for an update and I want to see what they come out with and how it compares. The QC35 is older than the original 1000X and the only update Bose did all this time was to add Siri/Google Assistant support. I am sure that I will end up with either an XM3 or next generation Bose, but I feel that I can wait and take my time with it. Too easy to get caught up with new toy syndrome.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #297 of 2,082
Thanks! Was waiting for this.

In terms of sound. I don't see improvement (just difference in sig). The graph does show more warmth with the XM3. I'd have to double check if XM3 truely is as warm as I heard from my collegue's XM3 connected via BT to his phone. I don't recall the Best Buy demo sounding warm. I need to try it out of my phone.

If I find if it's still that warm, may go for the XM2. I hope the price drops for the XM2 by a lot.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #298 of 2,082
I've just purchased this headphone and have been disappointed with the hugely exaggerated bass (+5db according to the measurements above). The elephant in the room is that the headphone cannot be EQ'd with Sony's software if you want to use LDAC or a wire (LDAC is a major selling point of the phones). I have had to use a parametric EQ plugin for my audio player to make it listenable. The noise cancelling is however fantastic and for that reason I'm probably not going to send it back. I am however wondering if I should have purchased the QC35.
That dip in the treble contributes to the warmth.

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #299 of 2,082
That dip in the treble contributes to the warmth.

Any thoughts on the Noise Cancelling graph? There's a difference in Passive NC. I Would like to know your opinion, m2 vs m3.

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #300 of 2,082
Any thoughts on the Noise Cancelling graph? There's a difference in Passive NC. I Would like to know your opinion, m2 vs m3.
Slight improvement with ANC, but passive, not really. Improvement with ANC is nothing drastic. Graph doesn't show higher frequency improvements like Sony has claimed. It's really not necessary as higher frequencies are better isolated than what ANC can achieve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back