SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Sep 20, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #256 of 2,082
So, I got to hear a collegue's XM3 running ANC in a train. I really like the NC performance for such occasions.

Downside is the headphone sound a bit too warm for my taste. This was with LDAC connection. The Best Buy demo didn't sound warm. I wonder what's the deal with this?
Maybe different EQ profiles? I’m using the app EQ to reduce bass and boost mids and highs with good results. The stock sound was too warm (dark really) for me too.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #257 of 2,082
I remember reading in one of the older versions of the 1000x forum's that the lack of multi-device support is due to Patents or something along those lines.
Another factor could be that most headphone makers simply buy off-the-shelf Bluetooth chipsets (such as from Qualcomm), and the more advanced chips have multipoint built-in so they get the feature essentially for free. Sony is one of the few that make their own chips and they either haven't implemented it yet or it is a license/patent issue.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #258 of 2,082
Another factor could be that most headphone makers simply buy off-the-shelf Bluetooth chipsets (such as from Qualcomm), and the more advanced chips have multipoint built-in so they get the feature essentially for free. Sony is one of the few that make their own chips and they either haven't implemented it yet or it is a license/patent issue.

Years ago, the 1000x pissed me off for this very reason, I had the Momentum Wireless from Sennheiser which could pair with 6 devices at a time, patents was the supposed reason for the Sony's being single tasked.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #259 of 2,082
I've had the QC35ii's for ~6 weeks, received the XM3s about 10 days ago.

slight edge in comfort goes to QCs for me, while slight edge in ANC goes to the XM3s. At first I was not impressed with the sound of the XM3s. In fact, I returned the XM3 (I got the QCs when on sale, plus store discount from which I bought) b/c I couldn't justify the price difference. But I couldn't let them go...so I bought them again. After giving them another chance, and listening for to them off/on for several days, it is hard to go back to the QCs, they just sound...plain. I'm still in my return period for the QCs, so now they are going back.

Regarding ear cups QC vs XM3...QC smaller but deeper--I find the cups sit on the outer edges of my ears. XM3...Bigger, but shallower--Padding fits around my ears, but the i can feel the inner fabric. Neither really bothered me much.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #260 of 2,082
I've had the QC35ii's for ~6 weeks, received the XM3s about 10 days ago.

slight edge in comfort goes to QCs for me, while slight edge in ANC goes to the XM3s. At first I was not impressed with the sound of the XM3s. In fact, I returned the XM3 (I got the QCs when on sale, plus store discount from which I bought) b/c I couldn't justify the price difference. But I couldn't let them go...so I bought them again. After giving them another chance, and listening for to them off/on for several days, it is hard to go back to the QCs, they just sound...plain. I'm still in my return period for the QCs, so now they are going back.

Where do they allow you to return something you've used for 6 weeks? It definitely doesn't work like that in my country.

Another question for anyone who own or have tried the XM3: I've seen very different views on how the headphone is for phone calls, it's not everything but a major point for me. Are they usable for public transportation? Calls in the office? Walking in windy conditions? Give me your experiences!

Thanks a bunch!

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #261 of 2,082
The audio source will continue playing (but muted) during the phone call. In other words, it won't automatically pause during the phone call. The other caveat is that for the XM3 to do its 2 devices thing, one of the devices must be Android, so that its Bluetooth can be set to call-only or media-only (no such Bluetooth setting on iPhone, which will grab both connections).

The bottom line is that for Sony's flagship wireless headphone, this is a glaring weakness compared to the competition, and it has been the case for years now. Oddly though, even some of Sony's mid-level headphones have a true multi-point capability.
Thanks, for me it's Android anyway so this should do, although I agree it's strange that Sony is not up to par with this.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #262 of 2,082
Good question -- thankfully, it mutes the media audio for the duration of the phone call, and the sound seamlessly resumes after the phone call ends.

It's worth pointing out my set up, because it's possible that people's experience may change accordingly (depending on hard/software): I'm using Windows 10 Pro on Dell XPS13 9350 with the Intel Wireless AC-8260 card (not the standard card the 9350 ships with) and a Samsung S8.

So the dual BT facility is good enough (for me), but I think Sony missed a trick here for their flagship ANC. Can anyone shed light why they chose not to include a more comprehensive Bluetooth option? I understand the XM3 has BT4.2. Is it a technical limitation BT4.2? If so, why did Sony not ship it with a BT5.0? Were they trying to maintain their margins? Presumably a more comprehensive BT option reserved for the XM4 next year...
Thanks again, more or less same setup here with 2 Android devices or W10 laptop connected.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #263 of 2,082
Anyone compared comfort with the m2? Had them on trial for a week and found the m2 hard to wear for extended periods. Developed a hot spot on the top of my head that I had never had before.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #264 of 2,082
Where do they allow you to return something you've used for 6 weeks? It definitely doesn't work like that in my country.

Another question for anyone who own or have tried the XM3: I've seen very different views on how the headphone is for phone calls, it's not everything but a major point for me. Are they usable for public transportation? Calls in the office? Walking in windy conditions? Give me your experiences!

Thanks a bunch!
Walmart...I actually have 90 days to return.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #265 of 2,082
Can someone help me find the inner dimensions of the earcups? I know Google is normally your friend but not in this case. thanks in advance.

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #266 of 2,082

Thanks a bunch!

I use my m3's for all my phone calls, in the city/office/home, 0 complaint from people.

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #267 of 2,082
Anyone compared comfort with the m2? Had them on trial for a week and found the m2 hard to wear for extended periods. Developed a hot spot on the top of my head that I had never had before.

I made a 10 min video about it.

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #268 of 2,082
I think phone calls are better than the WI1000X as my wife complains less and my Mom as well. But there are still issues with wind and noise on things like the bus. But I also live in a windy city and transit is always going to be tricky in my experience even when using products designed just for that purpose.

I find these much better for wind when listening to music as compared to older ANC products and older Sony products I have used and thats before I turn on the wind setting in the app!

I won't discuss how these sound musically until my cold is gone and I know I am hearing correctly. Right now sometimes I love them and then they sound off the next time I use them.

I can say I am enjoying the isolation I get from the ANC when out and about.

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #269 of 2,082
Do you think the bigger Ear-pads had a negative effect on the Passive Noise Cancelling performance of the m3's? I'm getting very annoyed lately with my M3's, I can hear so much more Rail squeak from the NYC Subway than before when compared to the M2's. Returning the M3's might be an option regardless of comfort and improved sound quality. :rage:
As your video reports, M2 is the hardcore noise-blocker while M3 is for comfortable enjoyment of music. Initially, the M2 seemed weirdly compact with fat and snug earpads and slightly tighter clamping, but I've come to appreciate why. With the right app, musicality is great, too.
Maybe someone will dissect the M3 to find where the 20g. weight-saving comes from; is it the headband, ear-cup shells ...

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #270 of 2,082

Thanks a bunch!

Mixed feedback on the phone call audio. In particularly busy (i.e. noisy) cafés/canteens/restaurants, I've had complaints whilst on phone calls -- very noisy background, and my voice muffled to the extent it's very hard for the other person to concentrate on my voice. I've often had to rip the XM3s off, and use my phone normally. There's still background noise when I put the phone's mic to my mouth but I've been told that my voice is much crisper. In establishments that are not so busy, call quality has been overwhelmingly fine to good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back