SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Sep 7, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #46 of 2,082
It is a fraud - similar to VW
You cannot do any marketing with false information.

Showing in the Video at 0:10 noise elemination to 0 (zero) and having a maximum of 25dB in voice-frequency is a fraud

The biggest bit of false advertising in that video is a Northern Rail service actually running!

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #47 of 2,082
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #48 of 2,082
It is a fraud - similar to VW
You cannot do any marketing with false information.

Showing in the Video at 0:10 noise elemination to 0 (zero) and having a maximum of 25dB in voice-frequency is a fraud
Lol, ok. No headphone exists that blocks all voices. I suggest a different approach.
tenor.gif

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #49 of 2,082
Okay, feminine may be overstated. I still have ptsd from the V Moda rosegold. I don't like that the logo is just paint, and the microphone accent is real copper. Doesn't match.

I do like them and they are an upgrade overall, but they aren't perfect. Uses them for calls yesterday and no one can hear me. That's a bummer.
You and me both are still looking for the holy grail. The XM3 is best of its class but hoping at some point Beyer or B&W break through with something remarkable sounding, comfortable and great at ANC. I was really disappointed with the PX.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #50 of 2,082
Just got these yesterday and have been acclimating to them (coming from the PX). They are supremely comfortable, and the NC is out-of-this-world good when out and about in the city. Sound quality is also quite good, but I haven't had a chance to really form an opinion of them vs. the PX (and their 100s of hours of burn-in) just yet. The midbass is more pronounced on the Sonys compared to the PX, but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

Also, I thought the plastic chassis would bug me more than it does, but given that these pretty much disappear when wearing them, I think it's a fine trade-off. I love the B&W approach to quality materials, but the heft takes a toll in actual usage. I can wear the PX for 5+ hours at a time, but they're notably heftier by comparison.

Only being able to connect the Sonys to one BT device at a time is a bit annoying, but manageable. The iOS app seems pretty great as well, though I haven't played around with any of the extra settings yet. The included EQ is a nice addition as well.

I would assume it only works when powered, but I'll find out Thursday.
Aux in works when powered off, and sounds great

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #51 of 2,082
These headphones look great, but there are two elephants in the room that everyone seems to ignore:

- This is the third generation in a series, where the previous generations had serious durability issues (cracking headband in both). The new generation is even lighter, which isn't very promising.
- The ear pads are not user replaceable, which means that (1) Sony can charge owners as much as it wants to replace them, and (2) as soon as they release a new model and move on, or as soon as the warranty expires, Sony has no obligation to offer any replacement service.

Both issues mean that there's a tangible risk that these highly attractive $350 headphones will become a paper weight within a year or two.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #52 of 2,082
Sep 7, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #53 of 2,082
These headphones look great, but there are two elephants in the room that everyone seems to ignore:

- This is the third generation in a series, where the previous generations had serious durability issues (cracking headband in both). The new generation is even lighter, which isn't very promising.
- The ear pads are not user replaceable, which means that (1) Sony can charge owners as much as it wants to replace them, and (2) as soon as they release a new model and move on, or as soon as the warranty expires, Sony has no obligation to offer any replacement service.

Both issues mean that there's a tangible risk that these highly attractive $350 headphones will become a paper weight within a year or two.
Hmmm, you see an elephant, I see mice. I never had quality problems with the 1st or 2nd gen. Same with the ear pads. Bigger issues for me are sound leakage and connecting to more than one source. You still need to connect/disconnect one before moving to the other. Will try the wife test over the weekend for sound leakage

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #54 of 2,082
lifeinabox, both Sony generations have many reports of broken headbands, while I couldn't find a single one for models from competing brands like Bose. Your own experience is a sample of one. My sample of one experience (with the first model) is that it breaks after a few months. I would dismiss it as bad luck or an isolated manufacturing defect, but the abundant reports from other owners made me more careful when the second model was released. I'm glad I was careful, because indeed this model too had many reports of the same problem. The third model is even more attractive, but since I see no reason to think that Sony improved build quality, I'll be careful this time too.

As for earpads, if you're willing to upgrade every year (as you've evidently done), then it's a non-issue. Personally when I'm paying $350 for a pair of headphones I'm expecting to get multiple years of service. Based on my experience with other headphones with pleather earpads, this inevitably means having to replace the earpads at some point.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #55 of 2,082
Just got these yesterday and have been acclimating to them (coming from the PX). They are supremely comfortable, and the NC is out-of-this-world good when out and about in the city. Sound quality is also quite good, but I haven't had a chance to really form an opinion of them vs. the PX (and their 100s of hours of burn-in) just yet. The midbass is more pronounced on the Sonys compared to the PX, but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

Also, I thought the plastic chassis would bug me more than it does, but given that these pretty much disappear when wearing them, I think it's a fine trade-off. I love the B&W approach to quality materials, but the heft takes a toll in actual usage. I can wear the PX for 5+ hours at a time, but they're notably heftier by comparison.

Only being able to connect the Sonys to one BT device at a time is a bit annoying, but manageable. The iOS app seems pretty great as well, though I haven't played around with any of the extra settings yet. The included EQ is a nice addition as well.

Aux in works when powered off, and sounds great

I had the px for a while.But it was something with the sound i didnt like.It was boring.And they wherent that comfortable.Have you tried the xm3 with only cable and noise cancelling off? Wonder if the sounds improve? :)

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #56 of 2,082
Have you tried the xm3 with only cable and noise cancelling off? Wonder if the sounds improve? :)
Yup, the XM3 sounds fantastic when cabled with my Dragonfly Red—the bass is tamed is bit, the mids are a little more forward, the treble is slightly crisper, and the noise floor is imperceptible. I really like that they can be driven while powered off, by comparison to the PX. In fact, the PX isn’t even compatible with the Dragonfly Red IMO; there’s something about how sensitive the aux input is, combined with how its own DSP is always running, that causes an unacceptable noise floor with noticeable clicking. The only cabled benefit the PX has over the XM3 is that the PX can play audio via USB C, but I’d still prefer to use my DFR if I go to the trouble of plugging in.
I had the px for a while.But it was something with the sound i didnt like.It was boring.And they wherent that comfortable.
And after some more time of comparing the two (wirelessly at least), I know what you mean—the PX is a midrange monster, and combined with its (surprisingly) wide soundstage, it ends up sounding a bit boxy. The XM3, by comparison, has a much more intimate presentation, with less emphasis on the mids and more on the lows and highs. In fact, the XM3 sounds a lot more like the P7 Wireless than the PX.

Completely agree about comfort between the two. The PX becomes acceptable over time, as the pads become softer. But the XM3 is wonderful out of of the box—it doesn’t really clamp, and the reduction in weight does a lot for helping these just disappear when you’re wearing them.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #57 of 2,082
Yup, the XM3 sounds fantastic when cabled with my Dragonfly Red—the bass is tamed is bit, the mids are a little more forward, the treble is slightly crisper, and the noise floor is imperceptible. I really like that they can be driven while powered off, by comparison to the PX. In fact, the PX isn’t even compatible with the Dragonfly Red IMO; there’s something about how sensitive the aux input is, combined with how its own DSP is always running, that causes an unacceptable noise floor with noticeable clicking. The only cabled benefit the PX has over the XM3 is that the PX can play audio via USB C, but I’d still prefer to use my DFR if I go to the trouble of plugging in.

And after some more time of comparing the two (wirelessly at least), I know what you mean—the PX is a midrange monster, and combined with its (surprisingly) wide soundstage, it ends up sounding a bit boxy. The XM3, by comparison, has a much more intimate presentation, with less emphasis on the mids and more on the lows and highs. In fact, the XM3 sounds a lot more like the P7 Wireless than the PX.

Completely agree about comfort between the two. The PX becomes acceptable over time, as the pads become softer. But the XM3 is wonderful out of of the box—it doesn’t really clamp, and the reduction in weight does a lot for helping these just disappear when you’re wearing them.

Tnx for answer :) You are just spot on,on the px sound.It sounds boxy.Couldnt agree more.I have ordered the sonys.Cant wait to try them :) I also have an dragonfly.The black version.Might use it at home when i dont need noice canceling.I love that you have the opportunity to turn of the headphones when u want to use it as an regular headphone,with wire and an dac/amp,and get even better sound :D

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #58 of 2,082
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Also just started playing with the EQ options in the app, and am pleasantly surprised at how well it works. By dropping the Clear Bass setting a notch, and increasing the mids a notch, I can get pretty much the exact signature I prefer—coherent and detailed, without feeling flat.

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #59 of 2,082
Ordered mine last week. They arrive Thursday. Currently running DT 1770 with Es100. Curious how the new model compares. My understanding is that it's a new driver (same one used in 1am2); it has a bigger cup, and a 32 bit onboard DAC. Sounds like a winning combo. We will see.
Interesting setup. I have both DT1770Pro and recently bought ES100 for IEM use. I use DT only with RME Adi2pro, I still think you can drive them to full potential only with a desktop DAC/AMP. I have used them with LG G6 (korean DAC version) and thought they sound good, but everything is relative. As soon as I have tested Adi2pro there was no way back... Still I would be interested what you will say about XM3. I did not like XM2 sound at all, it has very strange signature and sounds very synthetic and hollow. I have Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless (for sale now) but would prefer more compact over-ear design and ANC with good sound.

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #60 of 2,082
I think the DT 1770 sounds great from my v30 or from es100. I run the volume at 40 typically using power amp.

The 1770 still sounds better, but not that much better. The xm3 is a better headphone than the xm2 for sure. I haven't heard the Amiron. I'm curious, but gym use is my main use and 1770s are too clunky. Amiron would not be an improvement

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back