SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #61 of 2,082
I just started listening to these a few min ago & I'm wondering if these need a break in period. Sounds a little bit muffled & this is using the LDAC codec with a 24 bit 96khz FLAC file. Any thoughts?

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #67 of 2,082
I picked the m3's up having previously been an owner of the m2's. The sound quality is noticeably better. They fit better on my (large) ears and the headband is more comfortable than the old pair.

I use these when I am out and about (obviously) and at work for listening on my LG V30 using the Sony LDAC bluetooth codec on Oreo. Also heavy use for conference calls via bluetooth on my macbook. Call quality on the conference calls is good. about 16,000mhz in and out.

The headphones are lighter, sleeker looking and just about perfect in all categories. Not comparing them with my high end desktop/home headphones of course but they aren't actually that far off. USB C is a nice touch too. Same cable as my V30.

Anybody got any questions, shoot!!
How did these sound to you out of the box? To me they sounded a little bit muddy & muffled & this is with lossless tracks using the LDAC connection. According to Sony when using LDAC, the frequency response should be 20hz-40Khz vs 20-20 using the other codecs. I would expect a little more clarity when the frequency response reaches that even though we can't hear past 20khz.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #69 of 2,082
Yes it's set to all of those things. Only thing is everytime I connect the headphones, I have to go into developer options & manually change the connect quality to 990. By default it's set to adaptive bit rate.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #71 of 2,082
Yeah i've always had to do that too, even on the old pair but I don't bother now. Doesn't seem to make a difference. The phone will auto use what it is capable of.

Have you tried them wired to see if you hear a difference? (with the power on because they don't use the dac without it on)
I have no doubts that these will sound better wired especially since my V20 has a quad DAC but I'm more of a wireless user.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #74 of 2,082
Chart ANC M2 vs M3
y_WH-1000XM3_006.jpg

From https://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/WH-1000XM3/feature_1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back