Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Mar 5, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #451 of 576
Just picked up the xm4's at Walmart for $185 open box.. Really nice headphones, I'll compare to my PX7's and Max...
Listened to xm4 vs xm5 at the Sony Best Buy listening station.... Not a chance I can tell the difference in Sound nor ANC.. Both are great... I'd love to see one of the golden ear boys go to BB, take a listen, and come back here spewing all the BS differences..
It would be a hoot!!!! 😃😜
Relying on best buy demos is your first mistake, from my experience it is a horrible way to actually test the sound and features of a headphone, you have no idea if they are even on or not, they are in horrible condition and not to mention you can't use your own source to test.

Go to an actual audio shop where they can give you the headphone to try without 2 cm wires holding you down to the display stand, it doesn't take golden ears to tell that they sound different from one another. 🤷

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #452 of 576
Relying on best buy demos is your first mistake, from my experience it is a horrible way to actually test the sound and features of a headphone, you have no idea if they are even on or not, they are in horrible condition and not to mention you can't use your own source to test.

Go to an actual audio shop where they can give you the headphone to try without 2 cm wires holding you down to the display stand, it doesn't take golden ears to tell that they sound different from one another. 🤷
Zero mistake, your are listening to the headphones as intended; a noisy environment.. If you want an excellent sounding, sit at home on the couch pair of headphones, then buy a $400 wired headphone. The headphones will be acoustically designed with proper sound chamber cups, probably matched drivers and no DSP.. The very nature of ANC will alter the original sound, let alone ear cups full of batteries and
electronics.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #453 of 576
Zero mistake, your are listening to the headphones as intended; a noisy environment.. If you want an excellent sounding, sit at home on the couch pair of headphones, then buy a $400 wired headphone. The headphones will be acoustically designed with proper sound chamber cups, probably matched drivers and no DSP.. The very nature of ANC will alter the original sound, let alone ear cups full of batteries and
electronics.
That doesn't change the fact that both sound different. Your claim that it takes "golden ears" to hear a basic difference in tuning makes 0 sense.

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #454 of 576
Ok, say you're sitting in Starbucks, multiple conversations swirling around you, coffee cups kinking, machines grinding beans...etc.. These phones, as all ANC phones, are designed for this environment... That if where you need to compare.. Best Buy is tame compared to Starbucks.. You must live near a BB, go have a listen, best during busy hours.
Report back on the meaningful differences..
You can get MDR-Z7M2's (refurbished) under $300..
Absolutely no comparison in sound..

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #456 of 576
Ok, say you're sitting in Starbucks, multiple conversations swirling around you, coffee cups kinking, machines grinding beans...etc.. These phones, as all ANC phones, are designed for this environment... That if where you need to compare.. Best Buy is tame compared to Starbucks.. You must live near a BB, go have a listen, best during busy hours.
Report back on the meaningful differences..
You can get MDR-Z7M2's (refurbished) under $300..
Absolutely no comparison in sound..
Why do I have to go to a BB when I own both? I literally did test them outside in shopping centers and a Starbucks when I bought my XM5, it might shock you that yes, you can actually tell them apart sound wise because one has a very clear V shaped signature and the other has more sub bass. It doesn't require that much experience or knowledge to say "these sound different"

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #458 of 576
The auto anc might be controversial but I do find it does a better job with blocking out crowd chatter and murmurs.
Oh yeah, apparently was way worse before the Sep 2022 software update. Now, I can barely tell what it is doing. Maybe I am used to it at this point.

I was referring to the mic quality in terms of picking up external noise. This was my biggest and probably only gripe with the 4 - I was shocked that a product that cost 200 £ + would have such poor mic quality. I could barely have a phone call with them.

Given that it is foldable and easier to wear (cup swivelling etc), 4 is probably a better travel headphone while 5 is a better overall headphone.

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #459 of 576
And there's the bias, if maybe only a little.. You need to justify the upgrade from x4 to x5, and that's ok.. I've had my X4's for a little over a week and hate the puzzle every time I put them back in the case.. I seem to always fold them wrong, and I'll have memorize the sequence.. x5 just gets stuffed in with no fuss... Agreed given the right environment, I'd probably hear some tuning differences, it also has a new carbon driver.. 👍

Mar 5, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #460 of 576
And there's the bias, if maybe only a little.. You need to justify the upgrade from x4 to x5, and that's ok.. I've had my X4's for a little over a week and hate the puzzle every time I put them back in the case.. I seem to always fold them wrong, and I'll have memorize the sequence.. x5 just gets stuffed in with no fuss... Agreed given the right environment, I'd probably hear some tuning differences, it also has a new carbon driver.. 👍
And you don't have bias for getting a good deal? I'll refer to the actual measurements and countless reviews that say otherwise 👍

Mar 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #461 of 576
Honestly I rarely folded the 4 to fit the case which I rarely used - only during travel / when they needed protection

I folded it like that most of the time

f58802f8b1035db923fdd7aa9708dd08

Mar 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #462 of 576
And you don't have bias for getting a good deal? I'll refer to the actual measurements and countless reviews that say otherwise 👍
We all have biases. I in no way needed the XM4's, just an opportunity buy...
I have the original 1000X's, still in great shape.. The problem that has always bothered me, is the originals don't work with Sony app EQ.. With the X4's, I'm having a lots of fun trying different sound profiles (built in) and custom... I don't really care about the other goodies, other than ANC when needed..

Mar 5, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #465 of 576
Honestly I rarely folded the 4 to fit the case which I rarely used - only during travel / when they needed protection

I folded it like that most of the time

f58802f8b1035db923fdd7aa9708dd08
Im happy Sony moved away from this folding design, love how silent the XM5s are when you hold them/ wear them on your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back