Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling
Jan 7, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #421 of 576
I like how clean the XM5 sounds, as well as more spacious now. I appreciate that they toned down the bass a bit, though I wish they would've tone it down by another dB or two, but it's pretty nice! Last time I used the XM3, and the XM5 definitely sounds better.

They're also comfortable and I like how they feel to the touch. The build seems solid too, overall I like these headphones a lot.

I'm gonna test the noise cancelling function on Monday mostly.

Jan 7, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #422 of 576
They also seem to respond very good to EQ!

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #423 of 576
Jan 9, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #424 of 576
The noise cancelling is also better than what I last tested, the XM3. I like these headphones very much, of course because of the ANC, but also because of the improved sound quality!

They have more bass than the MDR-1AM2, but the bass is more pleasant in a way, and it's not muddy like with previous 1000 Series models. I guess that the bass on the 1AM2 can be a bit too boomy. The XM5 also seems to have a bit of a smaller soundstage compared to the 1AM2, but otherwise the XM5 seems like a bit better 1AM2, especially after some slight EQ, which again, the XM5 responds very good to.

Overall, I love these headphones!

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #425 of 576
I just got the XM4 after a lot of hmm ing about it. Interested in views on the 5’s in comparison.

Initially I rejected the 4’s. But after a listen they are clearer. Less bass but beneficial to the overall sound. I’m selling my 3’s. :)

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #426 of 576
I like how clean the XM5 sounds, as well as more spacious now. I appreciate that they toned down the bass a bit, though I wish they would've tone it down by another dB or two, but it's pretty nice! Last time I used the XM3, and the XM5 definitely sounds better.

They're also comfortable and I like how they feel to the touch. The build seems solid too, overall I like these headphones a lot.

I'm gonna test the noise cancelling function on Monday mostly.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that got the feeling that the sound stage became a bit better, and to my ears the positioning also sounds like it has improved, especially when listening to music by Yosi Horikawa. His albums are quiet revealing in that aspect.

Jan 12, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #428 of 576
I'm glad I'm not the only one that got the feeling that the sound stage became a bit better, and to my ears the positioning also sounds like it has improved, especially when listening to music by Yosi Horikawa. His albums are quiet revealing in that aspect.

Sony are very good at processing sound, coming from their Walkman players. They already borrowed DSEE, and I can certainly see how they're using their DSP tricks to enhance the listening experience.

Jan 15, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #432 of 576
It may take some minutes of listening to get used to, but I think this EQ makes everything better, while still keeping some of that nice bass:
+1+1+2+1+4
Clearbass to 0 or to +1.

It basically kind of clears up the soundstage in my experience.

Also, EQ with all bands set to 0 doesn't sound the same as when EQ is just off. EQ off has more bass and seems a little louder. Maybe this gives the EQ system some headroom for the +10 adjustments that are possible.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #433 of 576
Something I've noticed:

Most are aware that turning on DSEE Extreme with LDAC enabled does not make any difference or activate anything on android phones. At least in my use case, while on LDAC the DSEE logo does not appear, it only does so when using the lower res codecs like SBC and AAC.

However paired with my ZX500 dap, I was able to enable DSEE over LDAC, and you hear an audible pause every time you enable it.

I don't use DSEE often but this is just an interesting observation I made.

Screenshot_20230126-014208.jpg

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #434 of 576
I just bought a last stock of XM4, They're the best noise cancelling headphones I've ever owned... BUT for ONE comfort issue, the EarPads get HOT very quickly... it's super annoying for me, as it gets hot indoors, and it's making it a not ideal an an all day wearing headphone (work, videos, etc)... Have they fixed that in XM5? Does it feel cooler, OR the noise cancelling REQUIRES a non-breathable Earpad, hence similar on both?!

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #435 of 576
I just bought a last stock of XM4, They're the best noise cancelling headphones I've ever owned... BUT for ONE comfort issue, the EarPads get HOT very quickly... it's super annoying for me, as it gets hot indoors, and it's making it a not ideal an an all day wearing headphone (work, videos, etc)... Have they fixed that in XM5? Does it feel cooler, OR the noise cancelling REQUIRES a non-breathable Earpad, hence similar on both?!
I have not tried the XM4 but the pads on the XM5 are still non-breathable, but there are breathable Dekoni pads, you can try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back