Jan 31, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #436 of 575
CLEAR BASS
+2
+4
+9
+4
+9
+3

If you want to try this, listen to it for a while before deciding if it's good or bad. It sounds very interesting, and makes it hard to go back to no EQ, even though it may sound a bit extra with these values.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #438 of 575
Can anyone give some feedback on the comfort (especially how heavily it presses against the top of the head and the amount of head clamp) versus each generation of the WH-1000XM?

I have the WH-1000XM2 and WH-1000XM3 and the XM2 feels really heavy on the top of the head, probably because the padding is so thin and because it's heavier. I forget how the 1 felt and never tried the 4.

I also have the B&W PX (original) and it is way too hard on the top of the head.

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #439 of 575
Can anyone give some feedback on the comfort (especially how heavily it presses against the top of the head and the amount of head clamp) versus each generation of the WH-1000XM?

I have the WH-1000XM2 and WH-1000XM3 and the XM2 feels really heavy on the top of the head, probably because the padding is so thin and because it's heavier. I forget how the 1 felt and never tried the 4.

I also have the B&W PX (original) and it is way too hard on the top of the head.
I have the XM2 and XM5. I can tell you I didn't get any pressure at the top of my head using my old XM2s but I sadly do with the XM5s due to the thinner headband. The clamp felt a bit less on the XM5s on the other hand.

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #440 of 575
I have the XM2 and XM5. I can tell you I didn't get any pressure at the top of my head using my old XM2s but I sadly do with the XM5s due to the thinner headband. The clamp felt a bit less on the XM5s on the other hand.

The XM3 also has a "narrower" headband than the XM2, but the thickness and firmness of the XM3 cushion, plus the lighter weight of the XM3 makes it more comfortable for me than the XM2. It's actually a very big difference for me. Eg I can wear the XM3 many more hours than the XM2.

Looking at the specs (all specs from official Sony site except for XM4)

WH-1000XM2: 9.7oz
WH-1000XM3: 9.0oz
WH-1000XM4: 9.0oz (hard to verify, I had to rely on Tomshardware review for this figure)
WH-1000XM5: 8.8oz

I'm speculating whether we can assume that if the XM3 had no top pressure for that the XM5 would also be the same due to weight, and assuming the headbands are the same level of comfort.

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #441 of 575
CLEAR BASS
+2
+4
+9
+4
+9
+3

If you want to try this, listen to it for a while before deciding if it's good or bad. It sounds very interesting, and makes it hard to go back to no EQ, even though it may sound a bit extra with these values.

Settled on:
CLEAR BASS
+2
+1
+3
+2
+4
+1

The previous EQ was making everything a bit too loud.

In any case, I'm very happy with these headphones. They sound really good, they're comfortable, and noise cancelling and battery life is awesome!

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #442 of 575
So I've done some more focused listening with my ZX500 + XM5 LDAC with DSEE Extreme on.

Straight off the bat, for some reason DSEE Extreme works like expected on my Walkman, but not on my android phone. On the ZX500 the DSEE function turns on during CD quality music as advertised, but the only way I've been able to have DSEE work on android is if I use a lower bit-rate codec.

That aside, I have to say I'm beginning to become a believer! I can actually hear a difference in sound when enabling it even on good quality music, the bass becomes tighter and not as flabby (even with EQ), voices seem to be "clearer" and more present, things like Violins and flutes also come off as more clear and present, with the DSEE function turned off they sort of "fall" behind and mush a bit closer together. The effect is subtle, but there clearly is a difference I am able to pick up. From my limited testing I actually like the effect, it definitely makes the music sound more "clear" and dynamic even if it's by a small margin.

I also have an easier time focusing on voices and their nuances with DSEE Extreme on, turning it off I notice the mid bass bleed over those little details and they get lost in the mix more.

I would recommend experimenting with this, if your device can properly utilize it and work with LDAC. :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #443 of 575
I started using my XM5s wired more often (turned on), just to get the most out of them since LDAC is still a lossy way of transmitting audio. It was more of an experiment at first but now I do it more often especially when I'm in very busy/crowded areas where LDAC tends to stutter.

I EQ them in my Walkman app, because the stock sound is a bit too warm and veiled for my taste, I tried to re-create my custom app EQ as close as I could and I think it sounds superb.

Now like I've posted before I think DSEE is an underrated technology even on lossless files, it manages to bring out vocals and create a bit more separation, bass even after EQ sounds punchier and tighter. I love how it makes my music sound, of course the difference it makes is very minor but I do enjoy the effect it gives. It works best with lossy files/Spotify because that's the biggest difference I have noticed, its really night and day when used with low-res codecs.

IMG_0673.jpg

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #444 of 575
This is a driver that adds LDAC for Windows: https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/a2dp/

It's not free, but I really think it's worth it! I've been looking for something like this for Windows.

You can also choose between 330/660/990 kbps, and between Stereo or Dual Channel, as well as the sample rate.

Tidal sounds awesome with this, and setting Exclusive mode for the XM5 works too.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #445 of 575
Screenshot_20230303_194604_Headphones.jpg

Okay im loving this eq.

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #446 of 575
This is a driver that adds LDAC for Windows: https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/a2dp/

It's not free, but I really think it's worth it! I've been looking for something like this for Windows.

You can also choose between 330/660/990 kbps, and between Stereo or Dual Channel, as well as the sample rate.

Tidal sounds awesome with this, and setting Exclusive mode for the XM5 works too.

1677855493454.png

1677856085121.png

Playing a 44.1 kHz FLAC.

Tidal playing in Exclusive mode - as the MQA file unfolds to 88.2 kHz, it's using this sample rate too when sending the data to the headphones, and it switches to 44.1/48/96 kHz too depending on the file.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #447 of 575

Wow, THANK YOU for this info! I just picked up a Surface Pro 9 and the bluetooth audio sounded -terrible- on the XM4's. Haven't tried the XM5's yet but this made a SUBSTANTIAL difference.

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #448 of 575

Playing a 44.1 kHz FLAC.

Tidal playing in Exclusive mode - as the MQA file unfolds to 88.2 kHz, it's using this sample rate too when sending the data to the headphones, and it switches to 44.1/48/96 kHz too depending on the file.
i can hear the difference with qobuz as well.

good 6 dollars to invest :).

thank you.

1677911820367.png

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #450 of 575
Just picked up the xm4's at Walmart for $185 open box.. Really nice headphones, I'll compare to my PX7's and Max...
Listened to xm4 vs xm5 at the Sony Best Buy listening station.... Not a chance I can tell the difference in Sound nor ANC.. Both are great... I'd love to see one of the golden ear boys go to BB, take a listen, and come back here spewing all the BS differences..
It would be a hoot!!!! 😃😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back