Sony WF-1000XM5
Jan 2, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #961 of 1,029
How is the imaging on these? Rtings mentions problems in the review unit.

No problem with the battery?
I think imaging is one of this Buds strengths, and its sound stage width, better than any other Bud I've heard. I use mine 99% without ANC so battery life is amazing! And better than most with ANC on.

Without ANC the battery difference between L/R buds rarely various by more than 3%. I think with ANC on one can drop quicker as it handles the ANC so seen others say a 10% difference after extended listening.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #962 of 1,029
Just received the Azla. The good news is that their isolation is more than acceptable, not as good as foam but fairly close, they're the best silicone tips I've had.
The bad news is the ML size is a bit too big for me, so I ordered the M size. I feel like Sony should include tips of this particular type (thick) as an alternative to foam, I feel like the little isolation we lose more than is compensated by the durability.
I used MS with Spinfit and stuck with same for Azla and perfect fit/seal for me.

I also find it rare I get itchy inner ear with the Azla which I often got with other tips. The thicker silicon does give better isolation than the Spinfits I normally used, but lose a tiny bit of Treble, but more body to lows/mids.

I've never even tried the foams as never get on with them historically.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #964 of 1,029
Anyone tried the Airfoams Universal tips, some are touting them to be best for the XM5's, single size tips pre order though with long wait time.
There is no such thing as Best, it's all individual down to our individual ears, likes and tolerances.

I can't bare any foams where they are squashed then open up inside ear with pressure like a factory earplug, just prefer light contact of silicon.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #967 of 1,029
I have the Linkbuds S and as much as I prefer wired for quality the convenience of wireless often makes them a more appealing choice. There are times they sound very good but generally the SQ leaves me wanting more so the XM5 sound like a nice step up. My ears small, but I have no issue with my IER-Z1R and the large resin shells of the likes of Oriolus and Unique Melody, I imagine the guide wire may hold assist in a solid fit - I suspect my ears are shallow. For most part the Linkbuds S sit OK and seldom need adjustment, but as they have a second point of contact rather than solely relying on the tip.
I am in Japan and set out to treat myself to a second reasonable tier iem but as prices, even secondhand, are high (even with a favourable exchange rate) I haven't been totally happy with anything to make a purchase. When I first arrived I did very briefly try the XM5 for fit out of curiosity, but was in a hurry to try the wired iems so didn't give it much focus. From memory they were borderline being able to work, but potentially are prone to popping out. I'll demo again for a longer period of time, but sometimes it's not until you walk a mile that you find out if it's going to work for you.
As I'm on holiday my research has been rushed. Back home and here in Japan there are a lot of used ones for sale making me wonder the reason for their selling a highly ranked item.
First of all, I have seen some issues with loss of connection and other functionality, has this been sorted with updates? Are there any specific wireless tips (e earphone has a whole wireless tip section) that help with achieving a solid fit? Is there a hack or mod like a little bit of tape along the back that may provide some grip?
I'd really like to make these work, but if I feel they are going to be a constant daily issue for fit it'll drive me nuts.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #968 of 1,029
was offered a used set of xm5. regarding hygiene the included tips are out of the question. Already have the mtw3 so i don't need another one..

I have a bunch of spinfits, cp100,cp145,cp155, cp360 in different sizes. Then started reading here, would the AZLA Max Standard be an improvement over spinfit?

I also don't need another tip..

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #970 of 1,029
I have the XM4 and am looking to get the XM5. Seems to be a lot for sale on HiFiShark and eBay. Could there be fakes out there?

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #971 of 1,029
I have the XM4 and am looking to get the XM5. Seems to be a lot for sale on HiFiShark and eBay. Could there be fakes out there?

I would either buy full retail or Certified Refurbished from a vendor like Secondipity or BuyDig on eBay with the two-year Allstate warranty. Given the XM4 battery fiasco, I would hedge my bets with a warranty (Which I did). They are $149.99-169.99 right now depending on color and Vendor.

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #972 of 1,029
I would either buy full retail or Certified Refurbished from a vendor like Secondipity or BuyDig on eBay with the two-year Allstate warranty. Given the XM4 battery fiasco, I would hedge my bets with a warranty (Which I did). They are $149.99-169.99 right now depending on color and Vendor.
I also had battery issues with the XM4. Right side would be fully dead in 15 mins after a full charge. But, to be fair to Sony, customer support was great, and I had a new pair within a week of sending the old ones back.

Thanks for vendors.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #973 of 1,029
I also had battery issues with the XM4. Right side would be fully dead in 15 mins after a full charge. But, to be fair to Sony, customer support was great, and I had a new pair within a week of sending the old ones back.

Thanks for vendors.

Yeah, somewhere in EU they told me straight that if they're out of warranty, I have to pay, it doesn't matter to them that it's a well known issue.

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #974 of 1,029
was offered a used set of xm5. regarding hygiene the included tips are out of the question. Already have the mtw3 so i don't need another one..

I have a bunch of spinfits, cp100,cp145,cp155, cp360 in different sizes. Then started reading here, would the AZLA Max Standard be an improvement over spinfit?

I also don't need another tip..
Huge improvement in my opinion. They also have the mesh to protect from earwax getting into the bud.
The azla asmr also work great with the xm5 too

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #975 of 1,029
How is Sony regarding warranty? do they require the spare tips to be included if warranty is needed?
Got a like new\used set at ok price, a colleague is not that fuzzy about slightly worn tips so he wants them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back