Sony WF-1000XM5
Dec 31, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #950 of 1,029
Went to try the WH-XM5 headphones yesterday at night since there was a lot more silence. Once again, I'm surprised at how different they sound from the WF-XM5 buds.
Somehow, my Momentum 4 sound closer to the buds in their default tuning (still different, but closer than the Sony's).

And the ANC was also weaker than the buds, by quite a margin.

Dec 31, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #951 of 1,029
Went to try the WH-XM5 headphones yesterday at night since there was a lot more silence. Once again, I'm surprised at how different they sound from the WF-XM5 buds.
Somehow, my Momentum 4 sound closer to the buds in their default tuning (still different, but closer than the Sony's).

ANC on the buds is not even close to that of the headphones, WH-1000XM5. I'm not sure what you did or tried/tested, but I have both the XM5 buds and headphones, and the buds certainly don't hold up to the headphone's ANC level.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #952 of 1,029

I think there must be something off with the unit you tested can also be the ANC caliberation / setting (partial transparency turned on??), Verge recently lab tested the WH-1000XM5 to be the best ANC headphone at present.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #954 of 1,029
Not sure what to tell you guys, I tested 3 samples (they had silver, blue, and black)

EDIT: RTINGS also tested them both and ranks the WF higher than the WH and can listen to samples.

WH- https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/wh-1000xm5-wireless

WF- https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/wf-1000xm5-truly-wireless

Well, any site could rate them how they want, but the WH certainly cancel a lot more noise than the buds.

There isn't even 1% of doubt about this.

I just checked the links, of course the buds will be ranked higher because they are much more portable, but the ANC is definitely not better than that of the headphones.

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #956 of 1,029
That's your experience and it is valid, but it will not be for everyone, like it was for me.

Well, if my XM5 headphones are cancelling a lot more noise than the XM5 buds, then maybe your XM5 headphones should be sent for some repairs or something.

It's not a small difference, it's a really big one!

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #957 of 1,029
I had both from the XM4 generation and the headphone certainly did a lot better on noice canceling/isolation but the iem was a lot more convenient and good enough so I sold the headphone and keot the iem

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #958 of 1,029
Just received the Azla. The good news is that their isolation is more than acceptable, not as good as foam but fairly close, they're the best silicone tips I've had.
The bad news is the ML size is a bit too big for me, so I ordered the M size. I feel like Sony should include tips of this particular type (thick) as an alternative to foam, I feel like the little isolation we lose more than is compensated by the durability.

Jan 2, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #960 of 1,029
Well, if my XM5 headphones are cancelling a lot more noise than the XM5 buds, then maybe your XM5 headphones should be sent for some repairs or something.

It's not a small difference, it's a really big one!
Not forgetting with the Buds you're also getting passive isolation which will depend on the tips you use, quality of seal and maybe even dependant ear canal shape.

With the Azla Sedna MAX tips in my ears the passive isolation is good enough I rarely even use active, you couldn't say that with the headphones, so maybe for the user the combination of great passive isolation and ANC comes across better than the headphones.

I also never found the Headphones to sound 'special' unlike the WF-1000XM5, trialed some but returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back