Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 27, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #451 of 1,039
And now for some quirks:the app has a button to turn the headset off. But it doesn't really turns off when removing from ears, as i note the battery still drains when left unused.the multipoint connection doesn't always switch from Walkman/DMP-Z1 to iPhone when i receive a call.audio drops for a second from NW-WM1A or breaks like bad radio interference from NW-A25 walkman.on these devices i was using a 512GB microSD card filled with VBR 224kbps AAC files generated from my FLAC/DSD files using db PowerAmp music converter.These drop-outs don't happen on my DMP-Z1, which has my music library untouched.i first blamed the multipoint connection, so i disabled BT on the iPhone while listening to music. But the drops continued on both walkmans.So i switched an 1TB card from DMP to both walkman. To my surprise the drops are gone if i play lossless files with LDAC.I find this baffling as @nc8000 told me he has the issue with VBR AAC files from his WM1Z
I have never used my XM4 with the 1Z, only with the A55 and have had no issues at all with ldac in that combo (flac and aac files), nor with aac from iPhone (aac files or Tidal)

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #452 of 1,039
I have never used my XM4 with the 1Z, only with the A55 and have had no issues at all with ldac in that combo (flac and aac files), nor with aac from iPhone (aac files or Tidal)
With aac from iphone mine works fine. Are zour AAC files CBR or VBR?

Aug 27, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #453 of 1,039
Aug 27, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #454 of 1,039
Would be great if anyone here who owns xm5 will give a try to realme buds air 5 pro. I'd like to see a comparison.

I own xm4 for more than a year. I was thinking about buying xm5 but the price makes me hesitate especially seeing competition like realme with all the features less than half price with more complicated driver implementations.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #455 of 1,039
I sent rtings.com an email, hopefully we'll get more details and some frequency response measurements while logged in the app. Hopefully we'll get an answer.

1693067199750.png

Regarding question 1, they do mention this: "we could measure a difference in ANC performance once we made an account and logged into the Sony | Connect app.". The app has the option to log in with Google/etc., or with a Sony account. As they only mentioned that they made an account, it kinda hints that they made and used a Sony account.
I’ve read reports that owners report that they can tell a difference in ANC performance whether they are logged into a Sony account or not. I have also seen the reports about measured differences as well.

Has anyone actually seen the measurements? I would like to as I really don’t detect a difference whether I have logged into Sony or not.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #457 of 1,039
I’ve read reports that owners report that they can tell a difference in ANC performance whether they are logged into a Sony account or not. I have also seen the reports about measured differences as well.

Has anyone actually seen the measurements? I would like to as I really don’t detect a difference whether I have logged into Sony or not.
May be logging in triggered FW or SW upgrade, and after that logged in or not makes no difference. 🤷‍♂️

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #458 of 1,039
i can't believe that we "seriously" talk about the anc difference when doing login / not login / login sony account / login google account ... this is too crazy for my head.

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #459 of 1,039
If I turn off ANC, DSEE, EQ, these headphones play very well on TWS. I understand that these things may be important to some, but I'm only interested in the sound.
Agreed, I think the processing pipeline still needs to be ironed out. If my ears are correct, logging in with a Sony account does seem to correct the treble handling when using the EQ. Cymbals and hi-hats are finally sounding more correct.

Personally, I am still bothered by the overall lack of imaging and and lack of "spaciousness" that the hardware should be well capable of. Although very resolving, everything just sounds mono and like there's analog distortion.

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #461 of 1,039
Thanks for the tip...I see they have a micro mesh for earwax protection...I think I'll give them a try.

Aug 27, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #462 of 1,039
i can't believe that we "seriously" talk about the anc difference when doing login / not login / login sony account / login google account ... this is too crazy for my head.
Well, after all audiophiles can hear difference from cables, so no surprises here. All you need just seed an idea into mind and imagination will take care of the rest.

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #463 of 1,039

It's very easy to test it for ANC .. it's really so different.. without login or with a google account, music sound quality is really impacted when we switch ANC.. with a sony's account it is far more acceptable, though it is still not exactly as without ANC sound quality.

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #464 of 1,039
Well, after all audiophiles can hear difference from cables, so no surprises here. All you need just seed an idea into mind and imagination will take care of the rest.

They were measured differences, though I asked them to provide more info on the subject.

Respectfully, did you decide to answer here without actually reading the posts before?

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #465 of 1,039
Hopefully someone will be able to post the actual measurements, not just report on observations. I know that is probably hard to measure some things, but it should be very easy to measure noise cancellation.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back