Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 11, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #317 of 1,029
Any comparison between xm4 and xm5
I no longer have the XM4 for comparison, but for me the chief advantages of the XM5 are the significantly superior sound quality and smaller size. There are plenty of professional reviews that compare the two models. Here is a link to the CNET review.

Aug 11, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #318 of 1,029
Screenshot_20230803-234750.png

It seems at least some XM5 batches are poised to suffer the same battery fate as the XM4. This is silly at this point. Right now left is 74%, right 93%.

They're going back to where they came from.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #319 of 1,029
It seems at least some XM5 batches are poised to suffer the same battery fate as the XM4. This is silly at this point. Right now left is 74%, right 93%.

How long have you been using the XM5 before you notice this issue accuring? I'll be doing some testing since you brought this up. I mainly use the XM5 when I'm out for a stroll.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #320 of 1,029

"The left or right headset unit works as the main headset unit, so it consumes the rechargeable battery faster than the other unit. There is a difference in remaining battery charge between the left and right headset units, but this is not a malfunction.
The left or the right headset unit can be the “main headset unit” depending on the usage environment."

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/2963/v1/en/contents/TP1000781965.html

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #322 of 1,029
I'm aware, but 23% difference? Really? Even the XM4 before the battery was fried never came to that.
I use mine with no noise/ambient stuff and battery on mine seems to go down equally.

Is issue only with these functions enabled.

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #325 of 1,029

If you haven't already done so, you could check to see if your XM5 have the latest software installed. This is shown on the System tab in the app.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #326 of 1,029
I did some discovery today with XM5 pair with A306 walkman in my routine trip inside the trains and bus. O, i can connect using LDAC (Sound Quality) with only several drops, each drop less than a second, very impressive. With XM4 i have tried, it's impossible, one drop in every one second, terrible.

LDAC (Best effort) sounds quite poor quality, think aac sounds alot better than LDAC best effort, maybe Sony will fix in firmware. Guys, try it out while commuting, i have confirmed it using the developer options to check the stick connection. Bikers beware, it sounds good with LDAC/ sound quality, keep eyes on the road. :D

Note, I have wifi disabled, unable to try with wifi as i stream only with iphone.

By the way, I have recently updated both XM5 and A306 firmwares, so im not sure which device has the massive Bluetooth improvement over LDAC/ Sound Quality. And I have did a factory reset on both devices too.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #327 of 1,029
Just in case for someone who is wondering the combination to get LDAC/ Sound Quality. With A306 on android OS 12.

The android OS bluetooth setting has to be set to LDAC/ Sound Quality, and also the Sony headphone app set to Sound Quality prefer.

If the Sony headphone app is set to Stabilty, it will force the connection to AAC disregard of the android OS bluetooth preference setting.

And this might be the solution to ANC problems too, as the sound quality is bump up, outside interferences sound like wind noise or track noise is hardly noticeable. If u can't get LDAC/ sound quality, go for AAC. Perhaps until Sony fix the LDAC Best effort. Hmm, if Sound quality works, forget about Best effort :D

Ah, almost forget, android setting LDAC/ Connection prefer + Sony headphone app Sound quality prefer = LDAC Best effort.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #328 of 1,029
Quick note to my people: I'm in a busy train. Playing with ANC - switching it on and off. I have to say that the XM4 does a remarkably better job. I have them both here. Final Audio Type E ear tips on both. Like others said, ANC off or on... Almost no difference.

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #329 of 1,029
uh, strange, ANC on mine work remarkably well on busy train. Well, only on LDAC/ sound quality. LDAC/ Best effort ANC do sound worse than XM4, i have tried sitting near a chatty lady, lol. Forget to mention, AAC connection with iphone, the ANC is little worse than XM4 too. With A306, AAC connection, ANC sounds ok. And im on stock tip M size. Same sizing as im with other iem.

Im not sure if this do affect the ANC, im a minimalist, I have the tendency to disable whatever setting i do not use like the connection to 2 bluetooth device and Voice assistant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back