Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 10, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #302 of 1,039
Hi,

Trying to use my sony WF-1000XM5 earphones on my old Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. It will allow me to connect to the earphones using the Connect app but when I press the Headphone symbol to try to adjust any settings it says the following

"The latest version of Headphones Connect is necessary to use this headphone. Update this app from Google Play."

I have verion 8 Headphone Connect app which only supports my Samsung galaxy s7 edge which is Android 8 and if I try to update it to latest version of sony Headphone connect it will not install and get parsing the package error.
Without this option to use the Headphone settings means I have no noise cancellation. Is anyone using these WF-1000XM5 earphones on older Android and successfully using the Headphone settings options?
Thanks

I would recommend Lineage OS, which beings Android 13 to the S7.

Example link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...e-spoofing-ota-updates-for-s7-exynos.4484505/

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #303 of 1,039
How do you know you don't have noise cancellation?
Because I had been using my new Sony Xperia phone previously in the gym with noise cancellation set active and worked great. When I went to try the Samsung Galaxy s7 I could not hear the music hardly due to the noise in the gym.

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #304 of 1,039
For the Sony that's what I thought. The 990/909 doesn't work even if your select it, it just reverts back to best effort (variable). Of course, with variable, you don't actually know the bitrate it's using... :frowning2:
O, out of curiosity, I check the developer options while playing A306 to my ifi bluetooth connected to stereo amp. In the Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec, it read Optimized for Audio Quality. Then i tap in, it shows 990/909 selected. :D

Note: the bluetooth streaming has to be running while checking this.

Hmm, maybe it's time for Sony to implement LDAC 1200/1200 as Bluetooth 5.0 above is capable of 2mbps transmit bandwidth.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #305 of 1,039
Aug 10, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #306 of 1,039
Because I had been using my new Sony Xperia phone previously in the gym with noise cancellation set active and worked great. When I went to try the Samsung Galaxy s7 I could not hear the music hardly due to the noise in the gym.
Thank you for your reply. I can envy you that noise cancellation can do a good job for you. Unfortunately, I have not had this experience so far. It makes a difference whether I have ANC on or off. But nowhere near great. However, I test silence without music. Is it possible that ANC only works properly with the WF-1000XM5 when music is playing?

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #307 of 1,039
Thank you for your reply. I can envy you that noise cancellation can do a good job for you. Unfortunately, I have not had this experience so far. It makes a difference whether I have ANC on or off. But nowhere near great. However, I test silence without music. Is it possible that ANC only works properly with the WF-1000XM5 when music is playing?
ANC works even if there is no music playing.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #308 of 1,039
@deviltrombone

Well, it takes a little bit of work but newer Shure foam tips with a wax guard can be used. I had to use 4 different size pin punches to stretch the center out a bit. It is a tight fit even after that but I was able to use them on my xm5's.

Interesting. It would be great if I could get the COMPLY P-Series to fit the Sony wf-1000xm5. These having the same size bore as the Shure foam tips I might go and give this a try as the COMPLY P are the only tips that give me a great seal every time. What size punches did you use and need? Thanks

Update. It just came to me that if those COMPLY P's were to fit after making adjustments they will not fit in the Sony charging case so its a no to that idea.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #309 of 1,039
There is a lot to take in to install this. Have you managed to do this and have it working?

I did something similar/installing Lineage OS on my Galaxy S10e.

It could be a troublesome process, but stuff like Android 13 in this form could actually run even better than the stock firmware.

I wouldn't try this if you're not comfortable enough that you can install this or revert to the stock firmware if something is not right.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #310 of 1,039
Hi,

Trying to use my sony WF-1000XM5 earphones on my old Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. It will allow me to connect to the earphones using the Connect app but when I press the Headphone symbol to try to adjust any settings it says the following

"The latest version of Headphones Connect is necessary to use this headphone. Update this app from Google Play."

I have verion 8 Headphone Connect app which only supports my Samsung galaxy s7 edge which is Android 8 and if I try to update it to latest version of sony Headphone connect it will not install and get parsing the package error.
Without this option to use the Headphone settings means I have no noise cancellation. Is anyone using these WF-1000XM5 earphones on older Android and successfully using the Headphone settings options?
Thanks

No. It looks like the latest versions require Android 9.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #311 of 1,039
O, out of curiosity, I check the developer options while playing A306 to my ifi bluetooth connected to stereo amp. In the Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec, it read Optimized for Audio Quality. Then i tap in, it shows 990/909 selected. :D

Note: the bluetooth streaming has to be running while checking this.

Hmm, maybe it's time for Sony to implement LDAC 1200/1200 as Bluetooth 5.0 above is capable of 2mbps transmit bandwidth.

That's correct for the newer A306 and ZX707. The older models don't allow selection of 990/909 (well, you can actually select it but it doesn't work). I should have been more clear. In my case 990/909 from A306 to XM5 is not reliable if wifi is active on the A306. It works fairly well with wifi off.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #312 of 1,039
Curious then, when do you use the noise canceling? That's a pretty noisy environment on your bike.
I normally do use noise canceling most of the time, except when biking. I mainly bike on my neighborhood streets and bike trails, and they are not very noisy. And biking is safer if I can hear approaching cars.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #313 of 1,039
Sony WF-1000XM5 (earbuds) vs Sony WH-1000XM5 (headphones)

Last night I tried comparing my Sony noise canceling XM5 headphones to my Sony XM5 earbuds. It was no contest. For sound quality the earbuds are clearly superior. The headphones are inoffensive and don't sound bad, but don't come close to the amazing clarity, detail and soundstage provided by the WF-1000XM5. For the comparison, I didn't use EQ with either device, but I don't feel the WF-1000XM5 needs EQ anyway. My impression while walking on a treadmill was that the earbuds are also better at noise canceling.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #314 of 1,039
Interesting. It would be great if I could get the COMPLY P-Series to fit the Sony wf-1000xm5. These having the same size bore as the Shure foam tips I might go and give this a try as the COMPLY P are the only tips that give me a great seal every time. What size punches did you use and need? Thanks

Update. It just came to me that if those COMPLY P's were to fit after making adjustments they will not fit in the Sony charging case so its a no to that idea.
About 3mm up to 4mm something.

The shure tips are a bit long for the case as well but they compress a bit and charge just fine. Even with the lid open. Not that I can guarantee the same results for the p-series.

You could try any aftermarket t200 size foam tip. I have some generic 'ts400' style tips on my xm5 at the moment, which are similar to the ball style comfort series.

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #315 of 1,039
I've had my XM5 about a week now. I previously liked the XM4, but the generally great reviews led me to decide to upgrade. The improvement in sound quality with the XM5 is amazing, and makes the upgrade worth the price for me. I'm using them with a Samsung phone and an Astell&Kern Kann Alpha. Both support LDAC and I get great sound quality with either.
Its handy that the Sony app can test your tips for good fit. Here are the tips I have tried:
Stock tips: To get a good seal, I had to use large size, but that's too uncomfortable.
Comply Truegrip Pro: Medium size seal well and sound great, but are unacceptably uncomfortable.
Final Audio Type E: Had to use large size for good seal, but too uncomfortable.
Spinfit CP100: Medium size seal well, sound great and are comfortable. For my ears, these are the best tips I've tried for the XM5.

By the way, I use the XM5 when biking, and hear the least wind noise with noise canceling and ambient sound both switched off in the Sony app.
Today I received SpinFit W1 tips. They seal well and sound at least as great as any others, maybe better. The package included small, medium and large. I'm getting best results with large in my left ear, medium in my right ear, so I have two W1 sets I can use. I think some others have liked W1; I think these are my favorites too, although there is little if any significant difference between W1 and CP100 for me. Comfort is OK too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back