Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 9, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #286 of 1,039
I've just received my new WF-1000XM5 and must say I am positively impressed ! Sound is stellar for wireless earbuds :smile:

I read a lot of "mixed reviews" regarding ANC, mic/call quality, bluetooth stability... Also 4 taps volume control being not usable/practical.

First, pre-production/prototype units with issues -due to hardware differences from retail units- were sent for review, not having a clear indication from Sony what they were :thumbsdown:
I really don't understand Sony communication here, outside of generating bad/not accurate reviews !
I am having zero issue with ANC or calls, nor a single bluetooth connection drop (LDAC quality) :relieved:

Secondly, yes you do need to tap 4 times to increase/decrease volume by one step. But THEN each consecutive tap will also increase/decrease volume by one extra step --> 4 taps = 1 step, 5 taps = 2 steps, 6 taps = 3 steps, and so on.
Maybe I am kind of stupid, but reading every single review complaining about the number of taps, I understood each step would require 4 of them.
Not at all, so it is very usable, even if not as smooth as "swiping" like on the Airpods Pro 2.

At the end, my only complain is the very slippery glossy plastic not helping at the manipulation of these tiny earbuds :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #287 of 1,039
I've just received my new WF-1000XM5 and must say I am positively impressed ! Sound is stellar for wireless earbuds :smile:

I read a lot of "mixed reviews" regarding ANC, mic/call quality, bluetooth stability... Also 4 taps volume control being not usable/practical.

First, pre-production/prototype units with issues -due to hardware differences from retail units- were sent for review, not having a clear indication from Sony what they were :thumbsdown:
I really don't understand Sony communication here, outside of generating bad/not accurate reviews !
I am having zero issue with ANC or (over saturated) calls, not a single bluetooth connection drop (LDAC quality) :relieved:

Secondly, yes you do need to tap 4 times to increase/decrease volume by one step. But THEN each consecutive tap will also increase/decrease volume by one extra step --> 4 taps = 1 step, 5 taps = 2 steps, 6 taps = 3 steps, and so on.
Maybe I am kind of stupid, but reading every single review complaining about the number of taps, I understood each step would require 4 of them.
Not at all, so it is very usable, even if not as smooth as "swiping" like on the Airpods Pro 2.

At the end, my only complain is the very slippery glossy plastic not helping at the manipulation of these tiny earbuds :rolling_eyes:

Do you have any BT connection/stability problem with them? What are you using them with, if I may ask?

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #288 of 1,039
Do you have any BT connection/stability problem with them? What are you using them with, if I may ask?
So far zero issue with BT connection. These are even more stable than my WF-1000XM4, where I could suffer from occasional sound drops.

Used with OnePlus 8T smartphone and Sony NW-WM1AM2 music player, both with latest available software.

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #290 of 1,039
So far zero issue with BT connection. These are even more stable than my WF-1000XM4, where I could suffer from occasional sound drops.

Used with OnePlus 8T smartphone and Sony NW-WM1AM2 music player, both with latest available software.

Does the NW-WM1AM2 actually support 990/909 KHz LDAC? I was lead to believe that it didn't but I'm not sure...

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #292 of 1,039
Does anyone have any experience with running / gym usage and the XM5's?
I ran to toilet with them in and they didn't fall down the pot 😄

Nearest I get to 🏃‍♀️

A moved from my S21 to and S23+ today and seem solid/stable at 990LDAC and sound ace.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #293 of 1,039
Does the NW-WM1AM2 actually support 990/909 KHz LDAC? I was lead to believe that it didn't but I'm not sure...
In Android DEV options, both devices show "LDAC optimized for quality (32bits/96kHz)", both with AVRCP 1.6.
But where my OnePlus 8T indicates a fixed bitrate of 990/909 kbit/s, WM1AM2 indicates "optimal quality (variable bitrate)" having still the "990/909 kbit/s" listed but not selected :thinking:

No idea if it means WM1AM2 cannot reach the 990 bitrate, but I would believe it can as it is BT 5.0 and Sony advertises "LDAC with up to 3 times default BT bitrate" on this audio player.

From a practical point of view, perceived sound quality is nicer out of the WM1AM2, certainly due to LDAC at its max data rate + better source (hi-res FLAC) + "DSEE Ultimate" enable over bluetooth, where my phone outputs Youtube music.

An extra note still regarding LDAC codec: the official WF-1000XM5 specs mention a default frequency response of 20Hz-20kHz, "upgraded" to 20Hz-40kHz when using LDAC 990 kbit/s.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #294 of 1,039
So, testing BT with my new Samsung S23+ with LDAC990 and its rock stable and works all around house, even if I leave phone in another room. Noticeably more stable than with my old S21 or A307.

Wonder if it's because S23+ and WF-1000XM5 are both on BT 5.3 (other two BT 5.0)

Using UAPP with HD files using its HD Audio BT option sound fabulous.

I can see myself just using S23+ and XM5 now when away from home, just using my DAP wired to my higher end IEM's at home 🤫

Get 100% seal with Spinfit CP-100-M every time, comfy for hours on end, even laid in bed.

S23+ also working perfectly with my Sony BT remote RMT-NWS20 too without drops, seemed to disconnect on idle with my S21.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #295 of 1,039
I've had my XM5 about a week now. I previously liked the XM4, but the generally great reviews led me to decide to upgrade. The improvement in sound quality with the XM5 is amazing, and makes the upgrade worth the price for me. I'm using them with a Samsung phone and an Astell&Kern Kann Alpha. Both support LDAC and I get great sound quality with either.
Its handy that the Sony app can test your tips for good fit. Here are the tips I have tried:
Stock tips: To get a good seal, I had to use large size, but that's too uncomfortable.
Comply Truegrip Pro: Medium size seal well and sound great, but are unacceptably uncomfortable.
Final Audio Type E: Had to use large size for good seal, but too uncomfortable.
Spinfit CP100: Medium size seal well, sound great and are comfortable. For my ears, these are the best tips I've tried for the XM5.

By the way, I use the XM5 when biking, and hear the least wind noise with noise canceling and ambient sound both switched off in the Sony app.

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #296 of 1,039
In Android DEV options, both devices show "LDAC optimized for quality (32bits/96kHz)", both with AVRCP 1.6.
But where my OnePlus 8T indicates a fixed bitrate of 990/909 kbit/s, WM1AM2 indicates "optimal quality (variable bitrate)" having still the "990/909 kbit/s" listed but not selected :thinking:

No idea if it means WM1AM2 cannot reach the 990 bitrate, but I would believe it can as it is BT 5.0 and Sony advertises "LDAC with up to 3 times default BT bitrate" on this audio player.

From a practical point of view, perceived sound quality is nicer out of the WM1AM2, certainly due to LDAC at its max data rate + better source (hi-res FLAC) + "DSEE Ultimate" enable over bluetooth, where my phone outputs Youtube music.

An extra note still regarding LDAC codec: the official WF-1000XM5 specs mention a default frequency response of 20Hz-20kHz, "upgraded" to 20Hz-40kHz when using LDAC 990 kbit/s.

For the Sony that's what I thought. The 990/909 doesn't work even if your select it, it just reverts back to best effort (variable). Of course, with variable, you don't actually know the bitrate it's using... :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #297 of 1,039
I've had my XM5 about a week now. I previously liked the XM4, but the generally great reviews led me to decide to upgrade. The improvement in sound quality with the XM5 is amazing, and makes the upgrade worth the price for me. I'm using them with a Samsung phone and an Astell&Kern Kann Alpha. Both support LDAC and I get great sound quality with either.
Its handy that the Sony app can test your tips for good fit. Here are the tips I have tried:
Stock tips: To get a good seal, I had to use large size, but that's too uncomfortable.
Comply Truegrip Pro: Medium size seal well and sound great, but are unacceptably uncomfortable.
Final Audio Type E: Had to use large size for good seal, but too uncomfortable.
Spinfit CP100: Medium size seal well, sound great and are comfortable. For my ears, these are the best tips I've tried for the XM5.

By the way, I use the XM5 when biking, and hear the least wind noise with noise canceling and ambient sound both switched off in the Sony app.
Another eartip option is the Render (Zeos colab). These are foam wrapped with silicone so you get the seal of foam, and comfort and durability of silicone. I haven’t tried, but I suspect the Symbio tips (that the Render tips are very similar to) should also work. The render tips provide a great seal and passive noise isolation, and are (to me) very comfortable.

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #298 of 1,039
This is very interesting, I will have to try it. TBH I didn't see that in manual/tutorial...
Curious then, when do you use the noise canceling? That's a pretty noisy environment on your bike.

For me, I find the noise canceling sound 'richer'; when NC is off, I find the sound a bit 'tinny'.

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #299 of 1,039
Sorry for the possibly basic question, but I'm seeing mixed messages on the answer.

Does anyone know which Comply Isolation tips will fit the stem of these (TX-200, TX-400 etc)? Not a fan of the Truegrip's, the Isolation's fit my ear much better. Thanks 🙏

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #300 of 1,039
Hi,

Trying to use my sony WF-1000XM5 earphones on my old Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. It will allow me to connect to the earphones using the Connect app but when I press the Headphone symbol to try to adjust any settings it says the following

"The latest version of Headphones Connect is necessary to use this headphone. Update this app from Google Play."

I have verion 8 Headphone Connect app which only supports my Samsung galaxy s7 edge which is Android 8 and if I try to update it to latest version of sony Headphone connect it will not install and get parsing the package error.
Without this option to use the Headphone settings means I have no noise cancellation.
I have been using my latest Sony xperia phone without any issues but would rather not use it as battery gets drained quicker.
Is anyone using these WF-1000XM5 earphones on older Android and successfully using the Headphone settings options?
Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back