Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 6, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #256 of 1,051
Will only make one post regarding MTW3 as this is the XM5 thread...

Is your WM1A the same as NW-WM1AM2 or is the latter a newer model?

The NW-WM1AM2 supports APTx-HD which I believe would allow the MTW3 which does APTx-Adaptive take advantage of the HD.

I was using the MTW3 On a Samsung Fold 4 which only did APTx, none of the higher APTx options... the MTW3 using that codec were arguably as good as the AZ80 using LDAC in my opinion. So HD should be another step up...

Having said that, you do have a Sony DAP with XM5. That combo may take the XM5 to a level higher than what I can get out of the Samsung Fold 4 AZ80 combo.
I have the WM1A, not the next generation. It has LDAC and aptX-HD (which I actually forgot about).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #257 of 1,051
I must have a bad unit. I was getting drops connected to a Fire Stick about two feet away from me if I put my arm in the way. Awful. I have a ton of TWS and none have this issue. Maybe I'll get a replacement.
Fire stick then?

The signal strength/stability to my Sony A307 DAP is not as good as to my Samsung phone.

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #258 of 1,051
Fire stick then?

The signal strength/stability to my Sony A307 DAP is not as good as to my Samsung phone.
I thought so too, but the FS works flawlessly with all my other TWS. It's not only the FS though, dropouts happen in other circumstances. Quite disappointing.

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #259 of 1,051
Hi all!

I just got these earbuds, and I really like them. I like the fit, the sound is great (though I like MTW a little better),

Anyway, I don't hear much difference with the ANC on or off. The reviews I'm reading say there is a big difference. I tried different tip sizes. Wondering what others are hearing.

Thanks

Beth

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #260 of 1,051
Hi all!

I just got these earbuds, and I really like them. I like the fit, the sound is great (though I like MTW a little better),

Anyway, I don't hear much difference with the ASC on or off. The reviews I'm reading say there is a big difference. I tried different tip sizes. Wondering what others are hearing.

Thanks

Beth

I think you meant ANC. It most definitely makes a difference over passive noise canceling. Try it in a noisy environment, versus at home. It is NOT a cone of silence, of course.

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #261 of 1,051
Hi all!

Anyway, I don't hear much difference with the ANC on or off. The reviews I'm reading say there is a big difference. I tried different tip sizes. Wondering what others are hearing.

Thanks

Beth
Make sure you're getting a good seal. If not, ANC will be terrible. Stock tips on the XM5 are foam. You have to pinch them, then insert them as far as you can, while they're expanding, I had to ever so slightly pull them out so I felt a good seal. ANC is stellar on the XM5 imo.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #262 of 1,051
Aug 6, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #263 of 1,051
search for "qc" in this forum above, and you will get first insides.
Thank you very much.

Of course, I had read this thread in its entirety.

I own both the Bose QC II (since 2022) and the Sony WF-1000XM5 (since 29.07.2023). I'm less interested in first impressions than in current comparative experiences with the ANC, from forum members who have or had both products available.

My current starting point for the question was vitorherold's comment that the ANC of the WF-1000XM5 was "a killer". My experience does not quite correspond to this. The ANC is present and better than any of my alternatives except the Bose CQ II. These seem to me to surpass the WF-1000XM5 noticeably in some cases. I would like to compare my own experiences on this.

There are three issues where the WF-1000XM5 biased by the Bose QCII has disappointed me a bit so far: ANC, transparency mode, phone calls in noisy environments.

In all other respects, I am very enthusiastic about the WF-1000XM5. I find the sound, connection behavior, seat and operation to be very good.

As eartips, I used the original memory foam eartips as well as various silicone tips for testing. According to Sony's app, the memory foam eartips don't completely seal my right ear. However, the silicone tips "JVC EP-FX9L-B" and "AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Standard" seal reliably and are generally more pleasant to me than memory foam eartips. I still have to find out which solution delivers the best sound for me across different titles or whether it doesn't matter at all.

Anyway, my motive to buy the WF-1000XM5 in addition to the Bose QC II was the hope to get an equally good or even better ANC and the hope to be more understandable in a noisy environment than with the Bose QC II, which probably does not filter out background noise during phone calls for the other person. Since I have the feeling that this is not the case with me, I am interested in your experiences and in particular the experiences where you have a comparison between the WF-1000XM5 and the Bose QC II.

(My texts are written german and translated into English by a translation program. I hope that the translation will be understandable and ask for your indulgence if there are any linguistic deficiencies.)

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #264 of 1,051
I just picked up the XM5 today. I have only spent a few hours on them but here are a few quick observations:

• I have these paired to my Pixel 6 streaming my library through Plexamp via LDAC
  • The out of box tuning is definitely still warm and bassy but it is much more balanced than the standard tuning of the XM4
  • These seem to have better clarity especially in the mids which get so overwhelmed by the wooly bass on the XM4
  • I am not a huge fan of the glossy finish- it is slipperier and you can see and feel all the body oils on the surface
  • The nozzles do not fit as deep as the XM4 for me so the Spinfit CP360 tips that worked so well for the XM4 do not give me a secure fit. The CP100 tips are taller, giving me a nice seal and are working well so far though.
  • These are so small, maybe too small. While the XM4s were quite large they fit my ears well and the larger shells actually helped to get a more secure fit. The XM5 is so small it just floats in my ear held in place only by the ear tip.
  • Due to the previous two points, tip fit and grip is crucial and will make or break your experience with these.
  • The overall sound is much more balanced and dynamic. They are not detail monsters by any means but there is improved clarity and resolution throughout the sound spectrum.
  • The bass is great, a bit tighter and more controlled than the XM4. You do need to turn the Clear Bass settting down a notch or two though.
  • I really purchased these just for the sound upgrade and I am not disappointed. I am still tinkering with the EQ but with the bass dialed down and the mids and highs turned up a bit these are a substantial jump up in sound quality.
  • I took one phone call and they sounded great to me. My wife did not complain about how I sounded so that is something :)
  • The performance and sound quality from these true wireless buds is making it easier to leave the DAP and IEMs at home now.
XM4 vs XM5

PXL_20230802_203156970.jpg

The XM4 shell tapers near the nozzle allowing for a deeper fit than the XM5. The taller and narrower CP100 tips make up for this on the XM5

PXL_20230802_202951660.jpg
So after spending another five days or so with the XM5s I have made the decision to return them. I have come to the realization (that I referenced above) that smaller is not always better when it comes to ear buds. Maybe I have messed around with IEMs too much but I just found myself too frustrated at the inconsistent fit that never felt secure in my ear with the XM5s. The buds themselves are so small that they just float in my ears secured only by the tip itself. In contrast the XM4s, while large and bulbous are actually much closer to the fit of a UIEM as they actually fill out the opening in your ear for a much more secure fit.

After a bunch of research, I ordered a set of the Technics EAH-AZ80s. I have had a set of the AZ60s kicking around which I always liked but the fit could get uncomfortable over time. I really like the looks of the much more ergonomic AZ80 (they are going for more of a chunky IEM fit). For me, this chunkier more secure fit is the way. I hope they live up the hype of all the positive reviews.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #265 of 1,051
So after spending another five days or so with the XM5s I have made the decision to return them. I have come to the realization (that I referenced above) that smaller is not always better when it comes to ear buds. Maybe I have messed around with IEMs too much but I just found myself too frustrated at the inconsistent fit that never felt secure in my ear with the XM5s. The buds themselves are so small that they just float in my ears secured only by the tip itself. In contrast the XM4s, while large and bulbous are actually much closer to the fit of a UIEM as they actually fill out the opening in your ear for a much more secure fit.

After a bunch of research, I ordered a set of the Technics EAH-AZ80s. I have had a set of the AZ60s kicking around which I always liked but the fit could get uncomfortable over time. I really like the looks of the much more ergonomic AZ80 (they are going for more of a chunky IEM fit). For me, this chunkier more secure fit is the way. I hope they live up the hype of all the positive reviews.
Like a lot of times, seems down to your ear size/shape. These hold in my ear fine without that full feeling of the larger XM4.

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #266 of 1,051
Thank you very much.

Of course, I had read this thread in its entirety.

I own both the Bose QC II (since 2022) and the Sony WF-1000XM5 (since 29.07.2023). I'm less interested in first impressions than in current comparative experiences with the ANC, from forum members who have or had both products available.

My current starting point for the question was vitorherold's comment that the ANC of the WF-1000XM5 was "a killer". My experience does not quite correspond to this. The ANC is present and better than any of my alternatives except the Bose CQ II. These seem to me to surpass the WF-1000XM5 noticeably in some cases. I would like to compare my own experiences on this.

There are three issues where the WF-1000XM5 biased by the Bose QCII has disappointed me a bit so far: ANC, transparency mode, phone calls in noisy environments.

In all other respects, I am very enthusiastic about the WF-1000XM5. I find the sound, connection behavior, seat and operation to be very good.

As eartips, I used the original memory foam eartips as well as various silicone tips for testing. According to Sony's app, the memory foam eartips don't completely seal my right ear. However, the silicone tips "JVC EP-FX9L-B" and "AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Standard" seal reliably and are generally more pleasant to me than memory foam eartips. I still have to find out which solution delivers the best sound for me across different titles or whether it doesn't matter at all.

Anyway, my motive to buy the WF-1000XM5 in addition to the Bose QC II was the hope to get an equally good or even better ANC and the hope to be more understandable in a noisy environment than with the Bose QC II, which probably does not filter out background noise during phone calls for the other person. Since I have the feeling that this is not the case with me, I am interested in your experiences and in particular the experiences where you have a comparison between the WF-1000XM5 and the Bose QC II.

(My texts are written german and translated into English by a translation program. I hope that the translation will be understandable and ask for your indulgence if there are any linguistic deficiencies.)
Well… that sucks. I’ve got a perfect seal with the L stock tips on both ears. The sony app confirms it.

For me, with the stock tips, the ANC is stellar. I noticed that there are some high pitch noises that these do not completely cancel (like fast cars), but as soon as you hit play, they are gone.
Even on really low volume.

I think that these buds (and their ANC performance) are designed specifically for the stock foam tips, which can be a big problem for many.

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #267 of 1,051
So after spending another five days or so with the XM5s I have made the decision to return them. I have come to the realization (that I referenced above) that smaller is not always better when it comes to ear buds.
Like a lot of times, seems down to your ear size/shape. These hold in my ear fine without that full feeling of the larger XM4.

Yep, individual fit is important.

The xm4's I had to find shallower tips and after an hour or so still start adjusting them to relieve pressure/pain. I don't have that problem with the xm5's at all.

The call quality is a bummer but I'm not really using them for that, so it's not a high priority for me.

Kind of odd but I found anc picks up noise and thumps/thuds, when riding in a car and your head taps the head rest. I wonder if it's the same effect others are getting with a foot strike? (Occlusion effect being amplified, as far as I can tell.)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #268 of 1,051
Aregina posted a follow-up to his XM5 review:

This time he looks at the effects of tips on the XM5s compared to other true wireless IEMs with noise cancelling. The TL;DR appears to be that the XM5s offer class-leading noise cancellation but the stock tips are particularly important for noise cancelling in the bass frequencies.

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #269 of 1,051
The Aregina review makes sense in so many ways, given the comments in this thread. I don't like foam tips and can't wear them without irritation, plus the short life span is a problem. I am not buying any TWS primarily for ANC, but for convenience and sound quality, so the Sony's focus on ANC and their own tips becomes a negative. Plus there's no control over the ANC levels, and the app has become either ridiculously complicated or too simple (hard to do both, but Sony did it). I also found some stunningly poor connectivity behavior, using LDAC from my Sony WM1A. Three to four feet away from the source, the music would stutter if there was anything in between the source and the XM5 - especially if it was electronic. Never happened with the XM4, given the sound quality priority used for both. And the tiny size and slippery plastic was an increasingly annoying and potentially disastrous "feature."

So I packed them up and sent them back this morning. Waiting for the Technics now.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #270 of 1,051
Your posts are saving me $430CAD @JML :xf_cool: .

No sense in spending that kind of money if these are having issues like that. I am sure I would like their new default sound better. It just seems more in line with my sound preferences. But those issues would drive me crazy...

Has anyone tried these with Sony hybrid tips? That was what I used on the XM4 instead of the foams. It might have made them slightly less noise blocking but they fit extremely well and did not seem to alter the sound signature like after market tips do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back