Sony WF-1000XM5
Aug 5, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #241 of 1,058
I have ordered the Technics EAH-AZ80 to compare with the XM5. The XM5, because of the smaller size than the XM4, seems to put more weight on my ear canal, no matter what tips I try, and becomes annoying. The Technics shell is supposed to have a "concha fit" design to help. The XM4 were easier to position and to forget about. And the incredibly slippery finish of the XM5 means I keep dropping them out of my fingers when trying to get them out of the case, or out of my ears. The magnet in the case seems to suddenly release and when the earpiece comes out it is hard to hold onto! Almost like it pops out. So next week I should have the Technics on hand to compare and decide. There are a couple of reviews comparing the two (not on HeadFi, unfortunately), but as far as sound quality is concerned (my primary focus) the reviewers seem to be divided on which is better; I think it comes down to the reviewer's ideas of neutrality vs. excitement, the codec used, and the bass response (which of course depends greatly on tips and fit/seal).

The AZ80 fit way better than the XM5 and the XM5 (for me) better than the XM4. Sadly, I'm returning my XM5. Sound is better (again, to me) than the XM4, but I'm having too many dropouts and tip noise while walking. Couldn't find any tips in my huge collection that would fix that which is rare. ANC is better on the XM5, but the Technics are no slouch. They're a much nicer build quality in comparison to the Sonys. That said, I returned them for ANC issues. Bose took their place. This week a bunch of us over in the TWS thread are going back and trying the MTW3s because of some great firmware updates. I have to say, if you want to save cash, you can get them for almost half the cost of the Sony/Technics. With the Sound Personalization feature and High Res Audio mode, they kick @#ss. Worth revisiting for $168 off Amazon. Oh and @dweaver, you were right about the MTW3 updates!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #242 of 1,058
This week a bunch of us over in the TWS thread are going back and trying the MTW3s because of some great firmware updates. I have to say, if you want to save cash, you can get them for almost half the cost of the Sony/Technics. With the Sound Personalization feature and High Res Audio mode, they kick @#ss. Worth revisiting for $168 off Amazon. Oh and @dweaver, you were right about the MTW3 updates!
I need something that uses LDAC, so the Sens are out of the running. When I use my Sony WM1A, I want to take advantage of the LDAC codec.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #243 of 1,058
When I use my Sony WM1A, I want to take advantage of the LDAC codec.
Running with a brick in the pocket?

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #244 of 1,058
I need something that uses LDAC, so the Sens are out of the running. When I use my Sony WM1A, I want to take advantage of the LDAC codec.
Will only make one post regarding MTW3 as this is the XM5 thread...

Is your WM1A the same as NW-WM1AM2 or is the latter a newer model?

The NW-WM1AM2 supports APTx-HD which I believe would allow the MTW3 which does APTx-Adaptive take advantage of the HD.

I was using the MTW3 On a Samsung Fold 4 which only did APTx, none of the higher APTx options... the MTW3 using that codec were arguably as good as the AZ80 using LDAC in my opinion. So HD should be another step up...

Having said that, you do have a Sony DAP with XM5. That combo may take the XM5 to a level higher than what I can get out of the Samsung Fold 4 AZ80 combo.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #246 of 1,058
I just demoed xm5 in sony store. The demo was paired to a sony phone setup for ldac 990kb/s. The Sony mobile was preloaded when just 2 songs locally for playback. Both were tied up to a secuirty wire and essentialpy sat next to each other. I just listened for 3 mins but the connection was so bad and choppy that I've no idea how it sounded. Not sure it's the particular unit's problem or firmware issue. But I'm using btr7 and zfold4 when going there with no connection issues at all. My previous experience with xm4 is also very positive. That's really a very disappointing first acquaintance with xm5 . . .

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #247 of 1,058
I just demoed xm5 in sony store. The demo was paired to a sony phone setup for ldac 990kb/s. The Sony mobile was preloaded when just 2 songs locally for playback. Both were tied up to a secuirty wire and essentialpy sat next to each other. I just listened for 3 mins but the connection was so bad and choppy that I've no idea how it sounded. Not sure it's the particular unit's problem or firmware issue. But I'm using btr7 and zfold4 when going there with no connection issues at all. My previous experience with xm4 is also very positive. That's really a very disappointing first acquaintance with xm5 . . .
I can walk around my house with say mobile in kitchen and not lose signal.

I also walked outside with it for a while with phone in trouser pocket and not one drop.

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #248 of 1,058
AZ80 vs MTW3, can't choose between two. Leaning toward AZ80, LDAC, build quality, and better resolution. Am I wrong?
I like the AZ80 just a bit more than the MTW3 sonically. But the difference is extremely small.

But the AZ80 is built better, with better multipoint and LDAC vs APTx Adaptive.

The MTW3 plastic is.a bit soft so can get dented pretty easily. But I prefer it's lower profile over the AZ80. I also think it handles wind better.

So it boils down to preferences from signature (MTW3 is a bit harder hitting for bass and edgier sounding). The AZ80 is more balanced sounding and open but also softer sounding.

Plus the other areas mentioned.

Finally price plays a factor ad the MTW3 can be bought for a much better price due being a bit older and going on sale so is the better value.

Honestly, if could go back I think I would just stay with the MTW3 due to the savings and the closeness in sound quality. But I have sold those due to financial circumstances and will likely just keep the AZ80 as they are really good to and I do have a phone that supports LDAC more than APTx.

OK no more off topic posts from me. Any more questions take them over to the "are we there yet" thread :).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #249 of 1,058
i had the xm4, gave it a friend because i wanted to pre-order the xm5. Meanwhile, i bought the linkbuds s. I like them because they are so small. The sound, especially the anc is not as good as the xm4, but comes 75% close to it.

since i like the small form factor of the linkbuds s, does anyone use both xm5 and linkbuds s? If yes, which one for which scenario?

i am not sure if i should keep the linkbuds s once the xm5 arrives.

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #250 of 1,058
Got my Sony’s XM5…

For a TWS it definitely sounds amazing. Hard to believe that we reached that point in wireless audio.

Didn’t face any problem with the tips or when taking them from the case. Also, I think they look quite nice.

Sound wise… lacking a little bit of sub bass extension, and maybe there’s too much of upper bass - lower mids. Mids are balanced, treble IS really good.

But for me the voices and instruments still sound a little bit artificial, the timbre is not there yet. I tried with AAC only so that could be the problem. But this is something I noticed with every TWS in the market. None of them sound as natural as my etymotics for example. I think it has to do with the ANC or the codec.

But that’s being picky. For a TWS it sounds great! And the ANC is killer.

Definitely a keeper :)

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #252 of 1,058
Is there any experience between the WF-1000XM5 and the Bose quietcomfort earbuds 2 regarding the ANC?
search for "qc" in this forum above, and you will get first insides.

Aug 6, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #253 of 1,058
Got my Sony’s XM5…

For a TWS it definitely sounds amazing. Hard to believe that we reached that point in wireless audio.

Didn’t face any problem with the tips or when taking them from the case. Also, I think they look quite nice.

Sound wise… lacking a little bit of sub bass extension, and maybe there’s too much of upper bass - lower mids. Mids are balanced, treble IS really good.

But for me the voices and instruments still sound a little bit artificial, the timbre is not there yet. I tried with AAC only so that could be the problem. But this is something I noticed with every TWS in the market. None of them sound as natural as my etymotics for example. I think it has to do with the ANC or the codec.

But that’s being picky. For a TWS it sounds great! And the ANC is killer.

Definitely a keeper :)
I accidently went into AAC just today and agree, started sounding a little artificial. Put straight back to LDAC on same song and noticed improvement immediately.

Best combination of SQ/fit/battery life for me. Will use when walking dog, cycling and occasional falling asleep with (no cable).

My Fiio FD7 with quality IEM over LDAC BT is noticeably better for SQ as anyone would expect.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #254 of 1,058
I've had those for a few days by now. "Early impressions", Sony definitely have a home run sound wise. I had XM4 until the battery mess happened, and IMO those beat them flat. Authoritative yet way clearer to these ears, and that's with the stock tips. I have to use the largest to get a seal, pulling the left ear back a little at insertion, but it does the trick.
Battery life is top notch as well.

Now, Bluetooth... ack ack ack. In LDAP I have way more dropouts that I ever had with XM4. Even with "stable connection preferred" they do occur. I hope they address that with a fw release, because so far that's their only drawback to me, but a big one.

Now I have to find that same sound wired, so lurking at M9/Z1R and see what gets close :wink:

Aug 6, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #255 of 1,058
I can walk around my house with say mobile in kitchen and not lose signal.

I also walked outside with it for a while with phone in trouser pocket and not one drop.
I must have a bad unit. I was getting drops connected to a Fire Stick about two feet away from me if I put my arm in the way. Awful. I have a ton of TWS and none have this issue. Maybe I'll get a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back