Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #1,681 of 3,023
I have a question about ePro horn tips: in short, which size fits the XM4, EP00 or EP01?

I know that some users way up thread have said that the EP01 size fits, but according to the size guide, EP00 is for 3.9-5.0mm nozzles, and EP01 is for 4.9-7.00mm. I measured the nozzles of the XM4 at around 4.7mm (I think... wrote it down somewhere and lost that bit of paper, also I'm not sure exactly where they're measuring, the main part of the nozzle or the "ring" that holds tips on).

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,682 of 3,023
I have a question about ePro horn tips: in short, which size fits the XM4, EP00 or EP01?

I know that some users way up thread have said that the EP01 size fits, but according to the size guide, EP00 is for 3.9-5.0mm nozzles, and EP01 is for 4.9-7.00mm. I measured the nozzles of the XM4 at around 4.7mm (I think... wrote it down somewhere and lost that bit of paper, also I'm not sure exactly where they're measuring, the main part of the nozzle or the "ring" that holds tips on).
Not sure what tip you need. Here's what I measured.
XM4 nozzle 01.jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,685 of 3,023
Other thing to try is a reset or initialize the XM4. https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...tooth-headphones/wf-1000xm4/articles/00264029

edit: What ear tips are you using? If using the supplied foam tips, try the smallest ones that give you a good fit. Foam tips compress and deform much easier than silicone tips. If using the foam tips, could be the tip opening is compressed / deformed making a smaller opening cutting off the volume. Tip insertion depth might also be something to consider. Maybe switch to a different tip, like silicone. If all else fails have a friend or family member try the XM4 and see how loud they can comfortably listen to music. Either they will have the same issue as yourself or they won't have a problem at all.
I appreciate your help. I’m using stock earbud tips, and have no idea to upgrade them. I’ll try other ones as your recommendation, tks!

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,686 of 3,023
@karloil , do you find that the silicone attracts dust? Silicone accessories can be prone to static electricity picking up stuff.

Nope, this is not the sticky type of case. And even if it is, I haven't had any electronics die on me because of static electricity discharge. These guys proved that electronic components are tougher than you think:

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,687 of 3,023
The xm4 do have details and excellent resolution. They don't employ the trick of making highs artificially bright to give an illusion of details. They sound smooth which may give an impression of lack of details.
Agreed, but I think a tip swap is a must. With the Spinfit CP360 these sound plenty balanced with no EQ needed for me. With LDAC locked at the highest quality I think they sound great.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #1,690 of 3,023
Thanks for that, @mt877. I suppose the other users who have EP01 size don't find they are too loose.
I took an unused Sony XM4 foam tip and insert increasing sizes of drill bit shanks (smooth part of a drill bit) until I got the exact fit and then measured the shank diameter with a digital caliper. The shank diameter was 3.5mm. I guess tips with a bore of 3.5mm to 4.5mm should work. Some tips have a stiffer core, so might be harder to put on if the bore diameter is 3.5mm though.

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,692 of 3,023
Oct 26, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #1,693 of 3,023
Am currently trying the Final Type E tips (L) on my XM4s - some isolation is sacrificed but I feel like I could wear these for longer without that stuffy feeling developing in my ears 👍🏻 good stuff

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #1,694 of 3,023
Am currently trying the Final Type E tips (L) on my XM4s - some isolation is sacrificed but I feel like I could wear these for longer without that stuffy feeling developing in my ears 👍🏻 good stuff
Yep, same reason I use silicone tips exclusively. Foam tips are like ear socks. 🥴

Oct 27, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #1,695 of 3,023
Yep, same reason I use silicone tips exclusively. Foam tips are like ear socks. 🥴
I’ve been listening to the XM4s on the Type E tips throughout my day and I think they come across as more balanced sounding as well. I’m even happier with the XM4s now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back