Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #1,187 of 2,999
Is it just the uk these are impossible to get atm?
Was feeling the same way, but just kept looking on Amazon uk, a silver pair came up on Wednesday afternoon, delivered Friday (new, sold and delivered from Amazon).
I’d also seen some become available in the early hours of Monday, but foolishly didn’t pounce.

it looks like there’s issues even on Amazon JP for these, so good luck.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,188 of 2,999
Afaik other Sony tips should fit the xm4 fine? Sound and isolation could be altered.

I had about 20 pairs of Sony triple comfort eartips and gave them all away when I sold the Z1R. Should've kept some.

Yeah you definitely lose a few db in isolation. I might try Comply true grip next.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #1,189 of 2,999
Do most WF-1000XM4 owners have these for the noise cancellation or sound quality? Seems like from what I've seen that they lack in bass and other departments when it downs to SQ but are the best in ANC.
Definitely do not lack in bass. My favorite tws of mine for the low end. The thing is you actually need the noise canceling or ambient mode on to get the best low end. If the tech is set to off, then the low end suffers, which I found weird. Thankfully both ANC and ambient mode work in single iem use as well

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #1,190 of 2,999
Been testing these for last week or so with different types of tips and EQ. Settled on a random pair of wide bore foam tips with EQ from Amazon as the best compromise between sound quality and noise cancellation and comfort over long periods of time.

This is by far the best review I found so far. They also have similar videos for other earbuds that are tested with similar methodology. I don't speak Korean but this one is English subbed and the older videos are still more or less understandable even without subs. I was not quite ready to commit to keeping these since the Beoplay EQ is supposed to come on in a few weeks and I liked some of their portable bluetooth speakers. But after hearing their review on those I'm pretty set on keeping these Sony's at this point.

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,191 of 2,999
Do most WF-1000XM4 owners have these for the noise cancellation or sound quality? Seems like from what I've seen that they lack in bass and other departments when it downs to SQ but are the best in ANC.
Mixture of both ANC and SQ.

I knew from having the XM3 how good ANC was but it's fit just did not work for my ears. I also knew if I didn't like the tonality I could most likely EQ it to my preferences (which I have).

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,192 of 2,999
Was feeling the same way, but just kept looking on Amazon uk, a silver pair came up on Wednesday afternoon, delivered Friday (new, sold and delivered from Amazon).
I’d also seen some become available in the early hours of Monday, but foolishly didn’t pounce.

it looks like there’s issues even on Amazon JP for these, so good luck.
Probably just as well for my wall that I didn’t see those. Guessing they cant make them quick enough.

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #1,193 of 2,999
Echo @jb2unique, I was looking for best ANC and good sound quality. My expectation was not that these would be the best IEM sound available, but the convenience & portability were key. Also, they'll be my gym buds when I return to the gym, so sweat-proofing was key for me. I had been using Bose Soundsports for a few years, so these are a nice step up (and smaller than the Bose, even the newer ones from Bose).

Aug 8, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,194 of 2,999
I honestly don’t know what happened, today these earbuds just sound and FEEL better in my ears than they did for the first week I had them. I mentioned earlier back that my ears had been hurting a bit from previous earbuds messing up my ears a bit, that’s gone now and for some reason it means that I can get them to sit better in my ears.
As for the sound… I think it’s mostly that I’ve gotten used to their sound signature now.

They’re still not perfect but I think they’re probably the best allround-TWS out there right now. I think they will be my daily drivers for now, can’t afford any more expensive pairs even though I would love to try the Devialet Geminis and a few others.

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #1,195 of 2,999
I got the XM4 for both sound quaity (LDAC) and ANC. I also have the XM3 which to me are also very good. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had any fit or sound quality issues with XM3 or XM4 using original Sony tips. Bass, mids and treble have been very good. Maybe if you're a basshead these may not be what you're looking for, but I think they deliver a good bass feel for the genres of music I listen to. I can sort of understand the treble not being absolutely crystaline, sharp. The treble to me is crisp but with a slight roll off. Because of that slight roll off I can listen to the XM4 (as well as XM3) for hours and not feel like the highs are fatiguing my ears.

One thing I'd like to mention is that both XM4 and XM3 pair up with the NW-ZX507 really well. The ZX507's S-Master amp combined with the Sony Music Player app does something special. To me there seems to be a slight 3D effect where instruments and voice have layering, spatial resolution and sound stage, something beyond just stereo imaging. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I don't think so. Maybe others that have ZX507 and XM4 can test this.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #1,196 of 2,999
I got the XM4 for both sound quaity (LDAC) and ANC. I also have the XM3 which to me are also very good. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had any fit or sound quality issues with XM3 or XM4 using original Sony tips. Bass, mids and treble have been very good. Maybe if you're a basshead these may not be what you're looking for, but I think they deliver a good bass feel for the genres of music I listen to. I can sort of understand the treble not being absolutely crystaline, sharp. The treble to me is crisp but with a slight roll off. Because of that slight roll off I can listen to the XM4 (as well as XM3) for hours and not feel like the highs are fatiguing my ears.

One thing I'd like to mention is that both XM4 and XM3 pair up with the NW-ZX507 really well. The ZX507's S-Master amp combined with the Sony Music Player app does something special. To me there seems to be a slight 3D effect where instruments and voice have layering, spatial resolution and sound stage, something beyond just stereo imaging. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I don't think so. Maybe others that have ZX507 and XM4 can test this.
The s-master in the player is not at all involved when bt is in play, all signal processing and amping is done solely in the buds

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #1,197 of 2,999
For those of you who know a bit more about the technical aspects of TWS earbuds, do you think it's a possibility that they can/will fix the issue with the SQ changing so much on higher volumes?
I've actually started listening to these on a lower volume than before and realized how much better they actually sound.
It's weird because in my experience most earbuds tend to get really sharp and thin on higher volumes or stay mostly unchanged, but these just get boomier and lose a bunch of clarity.

So it would be nice if they would address that with a firmware update just for consistency's sake, sometimes I might just want to blast somewhat loud without having to EQ them differently, because that's honestly what I feel like right now, if you use them on higher volumes you really need a different EQ setting than on lower volumes because the sound profile is vastly different to my ears.

Aug 9, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #1,198 of 2,999
The s-master in the player is not at all involved when bt is in play, all signal processing and amping is done solely in the buds
OK, but something is going on with processing before bluetooth transmission. If I play the same flac file with the Sony music player or (example player) foobar2000 player, the Sony player tops foobar2000. Is it because foobar2000 is limited to android audio chain, while Sony music player is not?

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,200 of 2,999
OK, but something is going on with processing before bluetooth transmission. If I play the same flac file with the Sony music player or (example player) foobar2000 player, the Sony player tops foobar2000. Is it because foobar2000 is limited to android audio chain, while Sony music player is not?

My best guess is there is some digital processing going on in the app (not sure if s-master adds any). It could be a reverb, EQ or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back