Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #1,201 of 2,999
As sony music app doesn't go through the android audio stack, I'm pretty sure that via Bluetooth, music played through Sony app also isn't affected by Android, unlike other audio apps

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #1,202 of 2,999
In my backyard A/B comparison using USB DACs, I found no audible difference between using an Android phone or PC source despite the resampling of the Android stack. I.e. the digital signal had not been audibly altered before hitting the DAC.

With Bluetooth, android doesn't Auto resample to 48k so there is already less processing of the digital signal through the Sony app or any other app.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,203 of 2,999
After a month or so of heavy usage, I love the convenience of these (and the sound of course).

Some questions:

-I fall asleep with these in every day now, listening to audiobooks. My audiobook player has a sleep timer of 45 minutes, is there any way to have the xm4's turn off as well? I have 'turn off when not in use' checked in the settings, but I wake up with like 10% battery every morning after a full charge... Do these actually have to be disconnected from phones bluetooth in order to turn off fully?

-When I connect to my phone, the volume switches to max volume.... does this happen to anyone else? I THINK, it's because I've been using a bluetooth adapter for my Nintendo Switch (definitely not at full volume), and when I switch back to phones bluetooth it's just not sure what to do?

-On that note, the nintendo switch bluetooth quality is garbage... probably just the adapter I picked up for it, but it's reallllllly bad. Anyone else have experience with USB-C adapters?

-Last question! Has there been some tip rolling comparisons and suggestions? The hybrid foam tips are OK, but looking for something like silicone that will tighten up the sound a bit.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,204 of 2,999
After a month or so of heavy usage, I love the convenience of these (and the sound of course).

Some questions:

-I fall asleep with these in every day now, listening to audiobooks. My audiobook player has a sleep timer of 45 minutes, is there any way to have the xm4's turn off as well? I have 'turn off when not in use' checked in the settings, but I wake up with like 10% battery every morning after a full charge... Do these actually have to be disconnected from phones bluetooth in order to turn off fully?

-When I connect to my phone, the volume switches to max volume.... does this happen to anyone else? I THINK, it's because I've been using a bluetooth adapter for my Nintendo Switch (definitely not at full volume), and when I switch back to phones bluetooth it's just not sure what to do?

-On that note, the nintendo switch bluetooth quality is garbage... probably just the adapter I picked up for it, but it's reallllllly bad. Anyone else have experience with USB-C adapters?

-Last question! Has there been some tip rolling comparisons and suggestions? The hybrid foam tips are OK, but looking for something like silicone that will tighten up the sound a bit.
Turn off when not in use relies on the proximity sensor in the buds so they have to be removed from the ears to do any good as far as I’m aware.

Mine don’t go to max volume but stays at what they were last time used with the same source, mostly my iPhone.

I use SpiralDot++ which gives the best sq for my ears but suffers on passive isolation compared to foam tips

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #1,205 of 2,999
I use SpiralDot++ which gives the best sq for my ears but suffers on passive isolation compared to foam tips
Thanks! I know I have these lyin' around somewhere... someplace... lol. Also i really don't mind the passive isolation suffering as they used mostly at night.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,206 of 2,999
On that note, the nintendo switch bluetooth quality is garbage... probably just the adapter I picked up for it, but it's reallllllly bad. Anyone else have experience with USB-C adapters?
It's probably using SBC, which may not be supported all that well by the XM4s. You may have better luck with a dongle that supports AAC though that may also introduce a little bit of lag. I'm not sure of any dongles that support LDAC.

I've got the Genki adapter and have paired it with my AirPods Max (which also defaulted to SBC) and it sounded pretty good, and with minimal lag.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,207 of 2,999

Some questions:

Spinfit CP360 tips if you want the most top end and most clarity. The ePro TWS tips are a close second, but aren't quite as bright. Anything silicone is going to sound better than the stock foam tips.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,208 of 2,999
It's probably using SBC, which may not be supported all that well by the XM4s. You may have better luck with a dongle that supports AAC though that may also introduce a little bit of lag. I'm not sure of any dongles that support LDAC.

I've got the Genki adapter and have paired it with my AirPods Max (which also defaulted to SBC) and it sounded pretty good, and with minimal lag.
you sir are 100% correct. the adapter does support aptX but the sony's do not, hence defaulting to SBC. (I am using the Homespot Bluetooth 5.0 adpater)

Taking a look at the Genki and both the Genki and Sony's support AAC, but many of the reviews are saying they are having troubles actually using that codec.

The SBC is OK.... definitely don't notice any latency or lag, just loads of distortion esp at medium-higher volume levels. I may give the Genki's a try, and see if I can get the AAC to work.

thanks for the info!

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #1,209 of 2,999
you sir are 100% correct. the adapter does support aptX but the sony's do not, hence defaulting to SBC. (I am using the Homespot Bluetooth 5.0 adpater)

Taking a look at the Genki and both the Genki and Sony's support AAC, but many of the reviews are saying they are having troubles actually using that codec.

The SBC is OK.... definitely don't notice any latency or lag, just loads of distortion esp at medium-higher volume levels. I may give the Genki's a try, and see if I can get the AAC to work.

thanks for the info!
Best of luck! In my previous testing of the Genki and other headphones (PX7, Aonic 50) both AAC and aptX sound pretty great, they just introduce some perceptible lag.

I hope more TWS models copy the clever trick B&W introduced with their PI7, where you can plug the case in via USB C and it'll route whatever audio it detects to the earbuds via aptX LL (pretty much eliminating any delay). Seems like a nice solution, despite having an earbud case dangling from the Switch :upside_down:

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,210 of 2,999
Went for a walk outside for the first time with them. Left bud would cut out for a second every couple of minutes. Switched from Audio Priority to Connection Priority and no issues after that. No ANC, ePro EP00 tips, volume was at default (Blue/Red).

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,211 of 2,999
Went for a walk outside for the first time with them. Left bud would cut out for a second every couple of minutes. Switched from Audio Priority to Connection Priority and no issues after that. No ANC, ePro EP00 tips, volume was at default (Blue/Red).
This is also phone (transmitter) dependant. All 3 Pixel phones I've had all seem to have good Bluetooth stability, or strength or whatever you want to call it. On the other hand I've had OnePlus phones that couldn't even keep a stable AAC Bluetooth connection. Back a couple years ago I had used the original Galaxy Buds on a OnePlus phone and had tons of audio dropouts and stutters, the same Buds in the same conditions connected to a cheap Pixel 3a had no audio dropouts or stutters. I've been forcing the WF1000XM4/Pixel 5 to the highest bitrate and have been having very very few stutters. I think the last week I've used them I've had one audio stutter while walking my dog and that's it.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,212 of 2,999
This is also phone (transmitter) dependant. All 3 Pixel phones I've had all seem to have good Bluetooth stability, or strength or whatever you want to call it. On the other hand I've had OnePlus phones that couldn't even keep a stable AAC Bluetooth connection. Back a couple years ago I had used the original Galaxy Buds on a OnePlus phone and had tons of audio dropouts and stutters, the same Buds in the same conditions connected to a cheap Pixel 3a had no audio dropouts or stutters. I've been forcing the WF1000XM4/Pixel 5 to the highest bitrate and have been having very very few stutters. I think the last week I've used them I've had one audio stutter while walking my dog and that's it.
Using Note 9, so yeah a bit older phone. Probably going Pixel 6 Pro once it releases.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #1,213 of 2,999
Using Note 9, so yeah a bit older phone. Probably going Pixel 6 Pro once it releases.
I don't think it has anything to do with it being older.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #1,215 of 2,999
My revised tip preferences: SpinFit 360, Azla SednaEarfitLight Short, JVC SpiralDot++, Sony stock tips. The SpinFit tips are the brightest, with excellent integration across the spectrum; I also find them to be the most comfortable. The midrange on these is probably the clearest and cleanest of all. The soundstage is the most integrated, with great focus on the instrument and vocalist location left to right. They seem to let the port extend deeper into my ears than the others. The Azla tips' highs are a bit disjointed from the mids and the soundstage seems to be more left or right with lesser placement across the stage. The SpiralDot++ tips don't seem as integrated (the mids seem almost separated from the highs). The Sony tips isolate the best, but are dark and the sounds are increasingly muted as the frequency goes up.

Based on LDAC, sound quality prioritized, from my WM1A, with high resolution AIF files of live and studio recordings. Some moderate midrange to high boosts for all listening.

Fit tested first using my iPhone and the Sony app, then changed to the WM1A for listening (the connection to the WM1A is almost instantaneous).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back