Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,171 of 2,999
Just placed an order for those. I’ve had other spinfits but haven’t tried that.

I have a whole collection of tips and these are the best I've tried for the most neutral/analytical type sound. Every ear is different, but for me these are where it's at. I don't like bloated bass, congestion, or dark treble. I'm usually very picky, and really didn't expect to like the XM4, but with a simple tip change these are sounding great to my ears.

The short ePro TWS tips are a close second for me.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #1,172 of 2,999
I have a whole collection of tips and these are the best I've tried for the most neutral/analytical type sound. Every ear is different, but for me these are where it's at. I don't like bloated bass, congestion, or dark treble. I'm usually very picky, and really didn't expect to like the XM4, but with a simply tip change these are sounding great to my ears.

The short ePro TWS tips are a close second for me.
I have the epro actually, but didn’t try it. I tried them once on the Xenns UP but, for those, they brought out a strange harshness for me that wasn’t there before.

Interesting…every earbud/IEM is different I suppose!

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #1,173 of 2,999
I already have the Melomania Touch's in white, so I figured I'd go with the black XM4's.

I'm still thinking the Spinfit CP360's are my favorite tips for the most treble without EQ, the best overall clarity, and tightest sounding bass. I really have no complaints with what I'm hearing. LDAC locked at 990kbps, on a Pixel 5 just using Spotify.

No matter what I do, I just can't get a proper seal with the supplied hybrid tips. M is too small and L is a bit too large. I wish they had something in between like the IER-Z1R. And they hurt my ears after a while. They're just too short for my ears.

After extensive tip rolling and trying about 30 different set of tips, I settled for Azla Sedna Light. By far the most comfortable fit for me.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #1,174 of 2,999
No matter what I do, I just can't get a proper seal with the supplied hybrid tips. M is too small and L is a bit too large. I wish they had something in between like the IER-Z1R. And they hurt my ears after a while. They're just too short for my ears.

After extensive tip rolling and trying about 30 different set of tips, I settled for Azla Sedna Light. By far the most comfortable fit for me.
Glad you found tips that work well for you. I never even tried the supplied foam tips. I knew I'd rather use silicone.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #1,175 of 2,999
Just got these last night after delays here in australia. Looking forward to giving them a whirl.

So far the Sony Hybrid give the best and easiest fit for me.

Also Interesting that the foam tips are different from the normal triple comfort with wider tip at the nozzle. I would have thought the tapered ones would be more secure but I might test these out a bit later.

Initial Sound impression is not dark to me as some have indicated which is a first positive.

16282978868725894504783469963055.jpg

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #1,176 of 2,999
For anyone interested I found a review with detailed measurements beyond frequency response plots at soundstagenetwork.com.

Edit: Wanted to comment on the 'useless five-band EQ' from the review.

From soundstagenetwork review:

When I listened to Aerosmith’s “No More No More” (Toys in the Attic, 24/96 FLAC, Columbia/Qobuz) through the KEF Mu3 earphones, I liked the sound a lot but complained about a lack of bass and a small boost in the upper mids and lower treble. On this tune, the WF-1000XM4s sounded very subtly dull—the electric bass and kick drum sounded a dB or two too loud and seemed to lack a bit of definition. With the KEFs, a little bit of EQ got them just right. Sadly, the nearly useless five-band EQ in the Sony app couldn’t help the sound much. Using the nine-band EQ built into my Samsung Galaxy S10, I was able to bring 63Hz down 2dB, but that left the upper mids and lower treble a little too prominent. Cutting the 2kHz and 4kHz bands by just 1dB got the WF-1000XM4s sounding just the way I wanted them to. That’s much less EQ than I might normally use with true wireless earphones.

I guess the reviewer didn't find the clear bass boost setting in the Sony Headphone app? Just a -1 or -2 in clear bass boost would have probably set the sound just right. Other thing not mentioned is that any EQ adjustment made in the Sony Headphone app is saved to the XM4 so that you don't need to set EQ when using other hardware or software players.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,178 of 2,999
Hello.
A small review .

After 3 days testing the Sony wf-1000xm4.

Sound is on the darker side of things.

Bass is good but not good enough for bass heads. It struggles at 30 hz. With a mehhh kick. Nothing special there.

Mids are natural with a good resolution.

Treble has also good resolution but not enough Treble sparkle or treble energy.

Soundstage is good for a 6mm driver .

Are they loud at least , no , not Loud, disappointment for listening loud music.

Anc is good , mic quality also good
Bluetooth connectivity - stable.

Conclusion , sound quality and resolution is one of the best if not the best for wireless in ears if you eq them .

Can I compare them with wired headphones , no, no no wired headphones on this price range are far superior when it comes to music listening.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,181 of 2,999
Do most WF-1000XM4 owners have these for the noise cancellation or sound quality? Seems like from what I've seen that they lack in bass and other departments when it downs to SQ but are the best in ANC.
I’ve bought them for features and convenience first and second for sq, but to me they have perfectly decent sq as well. Not on level with good wired iem’s but I don’t need ultimate sq when I’m out and about in loads of ambient noise

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,182 of 2,999
Do most WF-1000XM4 owners have these for the noise cancellation or sound quality? Seems like from what I've seen that they lack in bass and other departments when it downs to SQ but are the best in ANC.

Honestly, sound quality for me. My main use for them will probably be for at home on the couch. Sometimes when walking the dog, sometimes when I go grocery shopping as well. The ANC is nice, the ambient sound as well. I don't like a lot of bass, so I'm fine in that regard. They have a pretty smooth frequency response so the EQ in the app can be used to tailer the sound to your specific tastes.

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,183 of 2,999

ANC and features for portability, SQ secondary -- I do enjoy and like Sony's tuning out of the box for their audio products past several years.

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,184 of 2,999

Afaik other Sony tips should fit the xm4 fine? Sound and isolation could be altered.

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,185 of 2,999
I’d of thought most tws users would be for convenience. In the real world usage are you really going to b able to tell to much difference between a similar priced wired/non wire set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back