Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,021 of 2,999
Luckily don't have that issue.

Tip wise, those CP360 are in my wish list for Amazon, will probably buy them to test em out.
They are the right tips if you want ultimate clarity and brightness. They don't isolate all that well though, so you do lose some of that. I just really wish these fit me better because they really do sound good, and I like the features these have.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #1,022 of 2,999
They are my 2nd favorite so far. I still like the Spinfit CP360 better though with their brighter top end. Unfortunately I think my XM4 may be going back to Best Buy. I can't really stand to wear them. I guess my ears are too small for them because the overall bulbous shape of them feels like they are trying to stretch my ears apart. I only got them Tuesday night so I have another week and a couple days to truly decide, but I don't want to end up stuck with a $300 pair of earbuds that I can't stand to actually use.

This part circled in red is what seems to be causing the issue for me. No matter how I twist them or how far or not far I insert them this seems to be causing discomfort.

If you pull the earpieces forward a mm or so does that relieve the pressure?

I had a similar issue til I found my shorter APP foam were way shallower and brought them both in and forward in my ears.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #1,023 of 2,999
If you pull the earpieces forward a mm or so does that relieve the pressure?

I had a similar issue til I found my shorter APP foam were way shallower and brought them both in and forward in my ears.

Doesn't seem to help. They put too much pressure there any way I try to twist or pull them. I'll probably just be returning them and sticking with my Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch's. They sound just as good anyway, their ambient mode just isn't as good, but I feel the Melomania Touch's don't need ANC though. I feel that they block out just as much sound as the XM4's do when you put silicone tips on them. I've also had a few glitches with the XM4's, and I do experience audio stutters and drops with LDAC locked to the maximum bitrate, but that's kind of not surprising, and wouldn't even have been a deal breaker. But comfort on a $300 set of earbuds is definitely a deal breaker.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,024 of 2,999
Doesn't seem to help. They put too much pressure there any way I try to twist or pull them. I'll probably just be returning them and sticking with my Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch's. They sound just as good anyway, their ambient mode just isn't as good, but I feel the Melomania Touch's don't need ANC though. I feel that they block out just as much sound as the XM4's do when you put silicone tips on them. I've also had a few glitches with the XM4's, and I do experience audio stutters and drops with LDAC locked to the maximum bitrate, but that's kind of not surprising, and wouldn't even have been a deal breaker. But comfort on a $300 set of earbuds is definitely a deal breaker.

Totally understand. Thats why I gave up on many other TWS (including the XM3).

Try removing the tips and see how they fit your ears then. This'll give an idea of fit with the APP foams, given how short they are.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,025 of 2,999
Totally understand. Thats why I gave up on many other TWS.

Try removing the tips and see how they fit your ears then. This'll give an idea of fit with the APP foams, given how short they are.
I have some foam tips that are only 6mm long, and the ePro TWS tips are just as short. It's not the tips causing the issue, and whether the insertion is deep or shallow doesn't change or help either way either.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,027 of 2,999
I've also had a few glitches with the XM4's, and I do experience audio stutters and drops with LDAC locked to the maximum bitrate, but that's kind of not surprising, and wouldn't even have been a deal breaker.
I've noticed this too, when I'm walking with phone in pocket. Annoying, but understandable. It must've been difficult to get LDAC on a TW bud. I'm glad to have it at all, so I can deal with the inconvenience.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,028 of 2,999
I've noticed this too, when I'm walking with phone in pocket. Annoying, but understandable. It must've been difficult to get LDAC on a TW bud. I'm glad to have it at all, so I can deal with the inconvenience.
At this stage of the Bluetooth game I'll take the higher bitrate and suffer some random stutters. To me it's either you get higher bitrate which (theoretically) means better sound and suffer with some stutters, or you can favor connection stability and have (theoretically) worse sound all the time, but with no stutters. So I'd be willing to take the hit on connection stability and get the better audio.

In terms of glitches, I've experienced times where I put them in and have either one not play audio, or both play but in what sounds like mono. I've had times where I put them in and I get skipping audio which sometimes is fixable just by pausing the music and resuming it, but still, it's a glitch that shouldn't happen.

So fit issues and software issues is what I'm experiencing, along with the good sound quality, but the buds are useless when after a half hour my ears hurt.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #1,030 of 2,999
MRSallee: From post 977

If building an EQ off the graph, I recommend using this graph instead: https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,Sony_WF-1000XM4

graph - 2021-07-27T221417.456.png

Based on the above frequency response (green 65% volume) graph line, here is the calculated Parametric and Fixed Band EQs for Harman In Ear Target 2019v2.

# Sony WF-1000XM4
See [usage instructions](https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq#usage) for more options and info.

### Parametric EQs
In case of using parametric equalizer, apply preamp of **-4.4dB** and build filters manually
with these parameters. The first 5 filters can be used independently.
When using independent subset of filters, apply preamp of **-6.8 dB**.

| Type | Fc | Q | Gain |
|:--------|:---------|:-----|:--------|
| Peaking | 42 Hz | 1.16 | -2.8 dB |
| Peaking | 210 Hz | 0.86 | -3.8 dB |
| Peaking | 1373 Hz | 1.18 | 2.8 dB |
| Peaking | 2682 Hz | 1.18 | 3.8 dB |
| Peaking | 3943 Hz | 1.18 | 3.8 dB |
| Peaking | 1148 Hz | 0.26 | -3.3 dB |
| Peaking | 17528 Hz | 0.65 | -2.9 dB |
| Peaking | 18525 Hz | 1.95 | 1.8 dB |
| Peaking | 21263 Hz | 0.74 | -3.5 dB |
| Peaking | 21798 Hz | 0.7 | -4.2 dB |

### Fixed Band EQs
In case of using fixed band (also called graphic) equalizer, apply preamp of **-4.9dB**
(if available) and set gains manually with these parameters.

| Type | Fc | Q | Gain |
|:--------|:---------|:-----|:--------|
| Peaking | 31 Hz | 1.41 | -1.4 dB |
| Peaking | 62 Hz | 1.41 | -2.3 dB |
| Peaking | 125 Hz | 1.41 | -3.1 dB |
| Peaking | 250 Hz | 1.41 | -2.8 dB |
| Peaking | 500 Hz | 1.41 | -2.1 dB |
| Peaking | 1000 Hz | 1.41 | 0.3 dB |
| Peaking | 2000 Hz | 1.41 | 2.0 dB |
| Peaking | 4000 Hz | 1.41 | 4.2 dB |
| Peaking | 8000 Hz | 1.41 | 1.6 dB |
| Peaking | 16000 Hz | 1.41 | -5.6 dB |

### Graphs
Sony WF-1000XM4.png

Can you help me convert your eq setup into a convolution eq text file so I can try to import this into the wavelet auto eq app for my phone? I have tried to read the instructions and I am lost. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,031 of 2,999
Can you help me convert your eq setup into a convolution eq text file so I can try to import this into the wavelet auto eq app for my phone? I have tried to read the instructions and I am lost. Thanks.
AutoEq made the file you need to import to wavelet when I did the EQ pass. The wavelet instructions for importing a custom eq setting mentions an CSV file to import, but it should be a GraphiEQ.txt file.

In wavelet you can also select WF-1000XM3 as its frequency response is very close to XM4.
graph(1).png

Here it is, enjoy!

Attachments

• Sony WF-1000XM4 GraphicEQ.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #1,032 of 2,999
AutoEq made the file you need to import to wavelet when I did the EQ pass. The wavelet instructions for importing a custom eq setting mentions an CSV file to import, but it should be a GraphiEQ.txt file.

In wavelet you can also select WF-1000XM3 as its frequency response is very close to XM4.
graph(1).png

Here it is, enjoy!
Thank you so very much. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to input the data and then output the text file.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,034 of 2,999
Does anyone know why my right earpiece drains battery quicker than the left piece? I've turned off assistant mode...
I kinda just think it does... it's normal if it's not too big of a difference between the two. My left one is at 57, the right one at 56 right now, and i've seen it be 2-3% difference at another time.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,035 of 2,999
Okay, so day one of owning these buds, I have a few first impressions and questions, but i'm gonna start with an individual post about this and follow up with another one that is more general because my posts tend to get long AF otherwise:

What's the verdict on eartips for the XM4's?
I know that there's a lot of recommendations on previous pages but there's just too much to take in, I kinda feel lost.

What I want if possible:

- To keep as much passive noise isolation as possible
- I really want for it to open up a bit more in the mids and treble.
- In general I would want the bass to be way more taut without losing any quantity but that seems like a pipedream at this point.

I have a feeling that I need tips that go deeper into the ear canal than the stock hybrid foam ones, pushing the earbuds in I can tell that the treble sounds more lively and less recessed.
I use the Large hybrid foams but the right one is too small for my freakazoid ear canals, I can feel that it's a lot more loose compared to the left one that feels perfect. So it would need to have a wider circumference (I think?) to properly fit my ears.

Any recommendations? Preferrably something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back