Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,006 of 2,999
Is it possible to pack XM4's back after opening them? Basically one cannot return earbuds in my country if they come in a sealed packaging. Looking at unboxing videos, I noticed that these aren't wrapped in plastic, which is great (Huawei Freebuds Pro were and I couldn't return them) but they definitely have some sort of a seal - around the box and the case.
These earbuds would my my third pair of TWS (after Freebuds Pro and Panasonic RZ-S500W) and I really hope they won't cause discomfort.
Speaking of Panasonic, does anyone here have a comparison between XM4's and RZ-S500W? The former cost 3 times as much and I'm wondering how big the difference is. I'm mostly interested in NC (both active and passive) and sound quality.
The latter are really satisfying, especially for the price, but NC is sometimes disappointing, mainly when it comes to traffic. Some sounds seem even more harsh due to higher frequencies that are left after noise cancellation (basically like putting a high-pass filter).

Jul 30, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,007 of 2,999
Is it possible to pack XM4's back after opening them? Basically one cannot return earbuds in my country if they come in a sealed packaging. Looking at unboxing videos, I noticed that these aren't wrapped in plastic, which is great (Huawei Freebuds Pro were and I couldn't return them) but they definitely have some sort of a seal - around the box and the case.

I'd pealed off the paper wrapping carefully just in case I needed to return later lol

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,008 of 2,999
So the ePro EP01 sound just as bad to me as the Spiral Dot++. I get the same strange mids/treble as I got with the Spiral Dot++.

The ePro TW00 (the short TWS tips) these may be an option for me. They seem to sound possibly close to the Spinfits. They seem like they might sound as clean and clear. I'll have to do some A/B testing, but the initial impression is that these don't sound bad.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #1,009 of 2,999
I can highly recommend buying a soft silicone protective cover for the XM4 case. One of the first things I realised is that without special care the case is likely to pick up scuffs and scratches very easily, especially if you throw it in a pocket with other items, in a bag, or accidentally drop it. I'm sure these are available on Amazon US too, but I got mine from Japan. They come in different colours, but I got clear so as not to hide the Sony logo. Fits perfectly, not too thick, and you can sleep well at night knowing your case is safe.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B098DR8MKT/

And what it looks like on the XM4:
PSX_20210729_212737.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought a black one from Amazon USA: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096VNWJBR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I changed the carabiner for something else (sorry for the dust motes):

IMG_1453.jpeg

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #1,010 of 2,999
Speaking of graphs, would anyone here that has a measuring rig could measure what my EQ does to the XM4 with and without ANC (if that actually changes anything)?

To my naked ears, these settings gives me the closest to my desired tuning.

Thanks in advance!

1125F034-4DBE-402C-9213-89C4681F56CE.jpeg

Not sure if it’s obvious but my inner treblehead is coming out 😂

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #1,011 of 2,999
Got my pair this afternoon. Tried the small Sony tips but they still had TWS sticking a bit too far out from my shallow (and small) ears.

Fortunately I was able to swap out to de-cored foam APP tips. Way better fit. Plus they are both shorter and wider bore.

IMG_20210730_205508.jpg

IMG_20210730_205534.jpg

Another plus is these tips have a 'skin' over the foam and are easy to clean. This foam may not disintegrate either (like comply or other foam tips).

IMG_20210730_205642.jpg
IMG_20210730_205614.jpg

If building an EQ off the graph, I recommend using this graph instead: https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,Sony_WF-1000XM4

Here's the raw data: https://squig.link/data_mrs/Sony WF-1000XM4 L.txt

Interesting thing about the XM4 that @Banbeucmas discovered, its FR is different at loud volumes. The graph above shows the XM4 with v1.2.6 firmware, ANC on, and EQ off. Red line is measured at maximum volume. Green line is measured at ~65% volume.

I've never seen an IEM do this before, certainly related to the DSP inside the XM4, probably sparing ears when played at max volume.

I took my initial measurements with XM4 at max volume before realizing this, so I don't have old firmwares at 65% volume, hence I initially posted measurements comparing the firmwares at max volume. But if you're building an EQ, assuming you don't listen at max volume, I think the 65% graph (green line) will be a better baseline.

Thank you, really interesting. I often play with eq and yesterday I was always ending up lowering 6k. Is it this volume behaviour new or it was already there before fw update? It's a clever thing from sony although it should involve bass too.

Maybe this explains my earlier post about some songs sounding like they had some sort of attenuation going on with busier passages. Like it was way dark/warm at those times.

If so, I think it was the same before as I noticed this on the old firmware.

This is pretty disappointing that it changes based on volume.

My pair was still on FW v1.1.5, so I took some measurements to see how the FR responded at different volume levels.

Sony WF-1000XM4 (v1.1.5 volume).jpg

I also measured of NC on or off, no change to FR. (Offset by 5db for comparison.)

Sony WF-1000XM4 (v1.1.5 NC).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #1,012 of 2,999
Speaking of graphs, would anyone here that has a measuring rig could measure what my EQ does to the XM4 with and without ANC (if that actually changes anything)?

To my naked ears, these settings gives me the closest to my desired tuning.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if it’s obvious but my inner treblehead is coming out 😂
What volume levels (device and xm4)?

I just updated to FW 1.2.6 as well.

Edit:
Nevermind as I just measured at both 70% (covers 70 & below) and 100%.
Sony XM4 riverground EQ.jpg

My rig is a simple vinyl coupler and Dayton IMM-6 using REW.

Also did a 1.1.5 vs 1.26 check. No FR change.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #1,013 of 2,999
What volume levels (device and xm4)?

I just updated to FW 1.2.6 as well.

Edit:
Nevermind as I just measured at both 70% (covers 70 & below) and 100%.

My rig is a simple vinyl coupler and Dayton IMM-6 using REW.

Also did a 1.1.5 vs 1.26 check. No FR change.
Thank you very much for this!
So are the red and green are my EQ right?
Volume really does skew the FR quite greatly.

Do your couplers differ greatly from others?

I’ll wait and see others’ measurements with a different coupler as well.

Also, what did you think of my EQ? 🤣

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #1,014 of 2,999
Thank you very much for this!
So are the red and green are my EQ right?
Volume really does skew the FR quite greatly.

Do your couplers differ greatly from others?

I’ll wait and see others’ measurements with a different coupler as well.

Also, what did you think of my EQ? 🤣

Correct, Red & Green are your EQ profile.

It's a basic setup thats similar to others that use the IMM-6 as well. It's not as accurate as a IEC setup but gives an idea of the frequency response. It shouldn't be directly overlaid with other peoples graphs, just for a more general comparison.

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #1,015 of 2,999
Correct, Red & Green are your EQ profile.

It's a basic setup thats similar to others that use the IMM-6 as well. It's not as accurate as a IEC setup but gives an idea of the frequency response. It shouldn't be directly overlaid with other peoples graphs, just for a more general comparison.
Awesome! Thanks again!

Let’s see if someone would be able to measure my EQ with an IEC setup.

Did you actually try to listen to my EQ? Were my adjustments too much?

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #1,016 of 2,999
Awesome! Thanks again!

Let’s see if someone would be able to measure my EQ with an IEC setup.

Did you actually try to listen to my EQ? Were my adjustments too much?
I did give it a brief listen but it isn't to my preferences. Plus my tips may let through more treble than the Sony tips (if thats what you use).

We all hear differently though, so ymmv.

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #1,017 of 2,999
I did give it a brief listen but it isn't to my preferences. Plus my tips may let through more treble than the Sony tips (if thats what you use).

We all hear differently though, so ymmv.
I did use the stock tips. But I may try other tips later on. My inner treblehead is coming out more and more recently 😂

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,018 of 2,999
So the ePro EP01 sound just as bad to me as the Spiral Dot++. I get the same strange mids/treble as I got with the Spiral Dot++.

The ePro TW00 (the short TWS tips) these may be an option for me. They seem to sound possibly close to the Spinfits. They seem like they might sound as clean and clear. I'll have to do some A/B testing, but the initial impression is that these don't sound bad.
I use the EP00 tips, they are perfect to my ears. Better than all the tips I've tried.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #1,019 of 2,999
I use the EP00 tips, they are perfect to my ears. Better than all the tips I've tried.

They are my 2nd favorite so far. I still like the Spinfit CP360 better though with their brighter top end. Unfortunately I think my XM4 may be going back to Best Buy. I can't really stand to wear them. I guess my ears are too small for them because the overall bulbous shape of them feels like they are trying to stretch my ears apart. I only got them Tuesday night so I have another week and a couple days to truly decide, but I don't want to end up stuck with a $300 pair of earbuds that I can't stand to actually use.

This part circled in red is what seems to be causing the issue for me. No matter how I twist them or how far or not far I insert them this seems to be causing discomfort.
2021-06-08-product-3~2.jpg

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #1,020 of 2,999
They are my 2nd favorite so far. I still like the Spinfit CP360 better though with their brighter top end. Unfortunately I think my XM4 may be going back to Best Buy. I can't really stand to wear them. I guess my ears are too small for them because the overall bulbous shape of them feels like they are trying to stretch my ears apart. I only got them Tuesday night so I have another week and a couple days to truly decide, but I don't want to end up stuck with a $300 pair of earbuds that I can't stand to actually use.

This part circled in red is what seems to be causing the issue for me. No matter how I twist them or how far or not far I insert them this seems to be causing discomfort.
2021-06-08-product-3~2.jpg
Luckily don't have that issue.

Tip wise, those CP360 are in my wish list for Amazon, will probably buy them to test em out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back