Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #992 of 2,999
Thinking about the Spiral Dots. How are they with passive isolation? I know they won't be as efficient as foam, but silicone can vary quite a bit for isolation.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #994 of 2,999
On the other hand, I just tried other tips I had around, and no eq is needed. The foam ones seem to kill the sense of air.

Yup. I never even tried the supplied tips. I went right to the Spinfit CP360's. I do still boost the 2.5k and up even a little more though. I like a fair amount of sparkle in my music. Will be trying the Spiral Dots here in an hour and a half or so. Have high hopes for them, especially given the crazy price of them.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #995 of 2,999
I think I'm going to have to devote a couple of hours to comparing the sound from the stock tips, the Spiral Dot++s, the SpinFits, and the Azla SednaEarfitLight Shorts...

Anyway, anyone know of a source to keep various tips available and secure in a plastic case? I can't find any empty cases; every case on Amazon seems to come with tips I don't want. Not that they're much money, but I'd rather just get an empty good quality case (most of what I see on Amazon seems to be the same case sold by different tip makers).

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #996 of 2,999
I think I'm going to have to devote a couple of hours to comparing the sound from the stock tips, the Spiral Dot++s, the SpinFits, and the Azla SednaEarfitLight Shorts...

Anyway, anyone know of a source to keep various tips available and secure in a plastic case? I can't find any empty cases; every case on Amazon seems to come with tips I don't want. Not that they're much money, but I'd rather just get an empty good quality case (most of what I see on Amazon seems to be the same case sold by different tip makers).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCX6PVS/ this is what I use

Should add the ePro EP00 to that tip list too :D so far my absolute favorite for these.

The EarfitLight are nice and are supposed to be for TWS but they work perfect on my Shozy 1.4, but I'm realizing that AZLA really does make their tips slightly larger so if you normally use Medium then a MS is the way to go bc the M for me cause a bit of pressure.

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #997 of 2,999

My initial impression is that I like the Spinfit CP360 more. For me the Spiral Dot++'s are doing something funky to the mids/treble, I'm not exactly sure what frequency area or how to describe it. The CP360's just sound clearer in the upper mids/treble. I had high hopes for the Spiral Dots since people talk about them often, and I had seen a few people recommend them for the XM4's. I also have two different ePro brand tips coming as well. Right now I feel like I should have just settled for the CP360's that I already had.

For a case maybe just go to a hardware store and get an empty bin with dividers, kind of like you'd use for nuts and bolts and such. I work at a Lowe's and we have these empty cases there in the hardware area and I always thought they'd be nice for tips, but I kind of just throw mine altogether in a bag.

Edit: I definitely prefer the Spinfit CP360's on these. I've played about 1 minute long sections of songs and switched back and forth between tips playing the same passages. Idk if it's down to insertion depth or something, but the CP360's just sound clearer over the entire frequency response. Tighter bass, and much cleaner mids and treble. It's really apparent with snare drums in particular. Better overall detail is another way to describe the difference I'm hearing.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #998 of 2,999
I can highly recommend buying a soft silicone protective cover for the XM4 case. One of the first things I realised is that without special care the case is likely to pick up scuffs and scratches very easily, especially if you throw it in a pocket with other items, in a bag, or accidentally drop it. I'm sure these are available on Amazon US too, but I got mine from Japan. They come in different colours, but I got clear so as not to hide the Sony logo. Fits perfectly, not too thick, and you can sleep well at night knowing your case is safe.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B098DR8MKT/

And what it looks like on the XM4:

PSX_20210729_212834.jpg
PSX_20210729_212912.jpg
PSX_20210729_212710.jpg
PSX_20210729_212737.jpg

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #999 of 2,999
My initial impression is that I like the Spinfit CP360 more. For me the Spiral Dot++'s are doing something funky to the mids/treble, I'm not exactly sure what frequency area or how to describe it. The CP360's just sound clearer in the upper mids/treble. I had high hopes for the Spiral Dots since people talk about them often, and I had seen a few people recommend them for the XM4's. I also have two different ePro brand tips coming as well. Right now I feel like I should have just settled for the CP360's that I already had.

For a case maybe just go to a hardware store and get an empty bin with dividers, kind of like you'd use for nuts and bolts and such. I work at a Lowe's and we have these empty cases there in the hardware area and I always thought they'd be nice for tips, but I kind of just throw mine altogether in a bag.

Edit: I definitely prefer the Spinfit CP360's on these. I've played about 1 minute long sections of songs and switched back and forth between tips playing the same passages. Idk if it's down to insertion depth or something, but the CP360's just sound clearer over the entire frequency response. Tighter bass, and much cleaner mids and treble. It's really apparent with snare drums in particular. Better overall detail is another way to describe the difference I'm hearing.
Exact same experience. I found CP360 have a more balanced sound if you are going to use the equalizer. I tried also sedna light short and spiral dots. I guess their wide bores don't work in my ears, for the reasons you described and I also perceived a bass boost.

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #1,000 of 2,999
Exact same experience. I found CP360 have a more balanced sound if you are going to use the equalizer. I tried also sedna light short and spiral dots. I guess their wide bores don't work in my ears, for the reasons you described and I also perceived a bass boost.

I'm using the Spinfit 360 along with some EQ too. I like a clear, sparkley, and detailed sound. What's better about these vs the XM3 is that the in app EQ is plenty to make these sound good. The XM3 I had to use wavelet to tame the bass in the 100 to 300hz area because I thought they were too warm and bloated there, but the EQ in the app couldn't fix that area. These seem to not need any help there, and the mids and treble are smooth enough that the in app EQ bands are plenty to make them sound brighter and clearer overall. I'm actually very impressed with these, and really wasn't sure that I would be. I half expected to want to return these.
Screenshot_20210728-145329.png

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,001 of 2,999
I just tried my Spinfits and like em too. But found they don't isolate anywhere close to the stock tips. To me, that rules them out. A big selling point of these buds is the sound isolation.

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,003 of 2,999
I just tried my Spinfits and like em too. But found they don't isolate anywhere close to the stock tips. To me, that rules them out. A big selling point of these buds is the sound isolation.
I agree, it’s a tough call though. The spinfits are superior sound wise, but makes the xm4 wobble a bit when walking around. And definitely they don’t isolate as well as the foams. I have come to the conclusion, that when I am out and about I prefer the comply foam true grip, when in “calmer” surroundings, I’ll take the spinfit 360😜

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,004 of 2,999
I agree, it’s a tough call though. The spinfits are superior sound wise, but makes the xm4 wobble a bit when walking around. And definitely they don’t isolate as well as the foams. I have come to the conclusion, that when I am out and about I prefer the comply foam true grip, when in “calmer” surroundings, I’ll take the spinfit 360😜

I shopped at Walmart the other day with the XM4's and the Spinfit's and with ANC on it was plenty isolating even at lower music volume. And once I got to self checkout I put on the ambient mode to make sure I could hear the beeps of the self checkout register as I scanned stuff. For planes and trains other tips would probably be better, but the Spinfit's isolate enough for most of the time I think.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,005 of 2,999
I shopped at Walmart the other day with the XM4's and the Spinfit's and with ANC on it was plenty isolating even at lower music volume. And once I got to self checkout I put on the ambient mode to make sure I could hear the beeps of the self checkout register as I scanned stuff. For planes and trains other tips would probably be better, but the Spinfit's isolate enough for most of the time I think.
The SpiralDot++ isolate well enough for me that in no environment have I had to go over 50% volume on my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back