Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #661 of 2,999
I did have a couple glitches this week. No sound out of the left bud when I started to play music. Pausing the music and playing again, voila, all good. Strange though.

I'm using the tips below and the EQ below for some days now with zero impulse to try to change the sound. It just sounds good with my master playlist where I bust out little dance moves and hum along to the music. Like my MTW2 these don't go loud enough. I want like a notch or two more of volume. Of all the TWS I tried, the only ones with that extra bit of volume were the MT. The Technics and JVC Club Pro Plus also are that notch or two below what I want.

That eq is close to what I’m using but at no point have I had a need to go above about 40% volume on my iPhone, any louder and I can’t stand it, and they can easily go loud enough to damage my hearing

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #662 of 2,999
I did have a couple glitches this week. No sound out of the left bud when I started to play music. Pausing the music and playing again, voila, all good. Strange though.

I'm using the tips below and the EQ below for some days now with zero impulse to try to change the sound. It just sounds good with my master playlist where I bust out little dance moves and hum along to the music. Like my MTW2 these don't go loud enough. I want like a notch or two more of volume. Of all the TWS I tried, the only ones with that extra bit of volume were the MT. The Technics and JVC Club Pro Plus also are that notch or two below what I want.

I personally use Wavelet, available on the play store, to EQ and boost the maximum volume of the buds which is indeed quite low compared to some other brands.

Basically, set a limiter with 100ms attack, 1ms release as you don't want it to do anything. - 1db threshold, 1.0:1 ratio then tweak the post gain to your likings. Ta-daa more volume for ya!

Wavelet remembers settings for each of your headphones / buds.

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #663 of 2,999
With a tws first priority for me was never sq. They have to sound ok but getting rid of the wires, effective anc and good battery life are number 1, 2 and 3 here.

98% of my use is listening to music or audio books while on the go and I hardly ever take calls or do online meetings so the mic is also not a high priority but it is better on XM4.

Not a popular opinion lately.

But that's my experience too. If I go Bluetooth I'm going for podcasts, videos, audiobooks or usually anything where SQ isn't the priority but the comfort of being mobile/wireless is vital. Otherwise there's something better wired, much better (which one depends on your faves).

I guess that's why I was annoyed with the lack of Multipoint - it is a feature that goes in that subset of wireless convenience/freedom/speed and as such extremely useful in this package.

That said it's nice to occasionally just chill with some high quality recordings and enjoy music if BT is all you have with you or just don't feel like dealing with wires.
But I second your words, SQ is not a priority, practicality is. Eventually the market will reject non-MP devices in this price range, but still early.

They're selling nicely even with buggy firmware tho, shops in my country don't have any in stock at the moment. Will grab a pair when available.

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #664 of 2,999
Not a popular opinion lately.

But that's my experience too. If I go Bluetooth I'm going for podcasts, videos, audiobooks or usually anything where SQ isn't the priority but the comfort of being mobile/wireless is vital. Otherwise there's something better wired, much better (which one depends on your faves).

I guess that's why I was annoyed with the lack of Multipoint - it is a feature that goes in that subset of wireless convenience/freedom/speed and as such extremely useful in this package.

That said it's nice to occasionally just chill with some high quality recordings and enjoy music if BT is all you have with you or just don't feel like dealing with wires.
But I second your words, SQ is not a priority, practicality is. Eventually the market will reject non-MP devices in this price range, but still early.

They're selling nicely even with buggy firmware tho, shops in my country don't have any in stock at the moment. Will grab a pair when available.
Here in the summer with a lot of time spent out doors I'm finding that instead of my high quality rigs I'm just using the XM4 and A55 for most of my listening, it actually sounds really good after some eq and is so convenient.

as I've stated befor multi point is not of any importance to me, probably mostly because I hardly ever take/make calls with any headphone and partly because I very rarely have more than one device with me. Switching between devices (essentially only my iPhone and A55) is simple enough

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #665 of 2,999
Shame that the stock tips do not seem that favourable. Makes me bit hesitant to get the XM4 (I probably will at some point anyways).

Trying to get some of these tips to the EU is a bit ridiculous in terms of shipping time and pricing, especially if you're not sure of the size.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #666 of 2,999
Shame that the stock tips do not seem that favourable. Makes me bit hesitant to get the XM4 (I probably will at some point anyways).

Trying to get some of these tips to the EU is a bit ridiculous in terms of shipping time and pricing, especially if you're not sure of the size.
Spinfit cp360s are a good tip and available in Europe. They're my favourites so far.

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #667 of 2,999
The only good news about bad tips is that for most of us we have plenty of other tips we can use. But at $400 it would have been nice if they just included both types...

But I am using Sony's good old original hybrids on the XM3 and on my Technics AZ70 as well and I have other TWS that I have also tip rolled, so they are far from the first product I would have that issue with.

I am probably going to wait till they go sale though, barring winning the lottery. I actually don't mind my XM3 so might wait till that pair starts to pack it in battery or issue wise.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #668 of 2,999
I personally use Wavelet, available on the play store, to EQ and boost the maximum volume of the buds which is indeed quite low compared to some other brands.

Basically, set a limiter with 100ms attack, 1ms release as you don't want it to do anything. - 1db threshold, 1.0:1 ratio then tweak the post gain to your likings. Ta-daa more volume for ya!

Wavelet remembers settings for each of your headphones / buds.
What are your settings?
I'm currently using the settings for the WF-1000XM3/NC and seem to work well with the WF-1000XM4

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #669 of 2,999
Bad news...my right side has no audio.
Not sure what happened...was off balance (left louder than right) and then no sound.
Still touch functions working and still detected by app and charges as usual.
Will be contacting Sony soon.
UPDATE: After resetting both the headphones and the case as directed via researching how (manual/online). Unpairing them from all devices. Allowing the headphones to completely deplete their battery. Case fully charged. The headphones now are working as designed again. I actually repurchased another set at Best Buy since they were back ordered from Sony. I now have 2 sets. Unsure if I should keep the original set or return it to Best Buy as defective unit...explaining that there was an issue. I'm afraid that this issue might happen again. I will be keeping the newer set.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #670 of 2,999
The only good news about bad tips is that for most of us we have plenty of other tips we can use. But at $400 it would have been nice if they just included both types...

🤣 At this point many can open a "Tip Shop"
I didn't remember I had some unopened SpiralDots, spinfits, comply, misc.... for years. Cheap silicons etc. there's a lot to choose from.
Expect no surprises tho. Foamies are usually sucky in fit+comfort and great in isolation and bass and silicone is great for frequent on/offs and usually brighter, which I prefer SQ-wise.

For the use I'll give the XM4 with hours and hours of pods/calls it's more likely silicon will have to do just for comfort, to some ANC loss.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #671 of 2,999
Yup I suspect the ANC will be more like the XM3 when using silicone which is still damn good in my opinion.

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #672 of 2,999
Yup I suspect the ANC will be more like the XM3 when using silicone which is still damn good in my opinion.
I agree. If you have to use special stuffy foam tips to achieve isolation then the ANC isn't really doing its job. ANC should work without much of a seal, like on over-ear headphones. That said, the XM4 ANC is pretty good with silicone tips (Spiral Dot). Good enough anyway.

Jun 25, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #673 of 2,999
I agree. If you have to use special stuffy foam tips to achieve isolation then the ANC isn't really doing its job. ANC should work without much of a seal, like on over-ear headphones. That said, the XM4 ANC is pretty good with silicone tips (Spiral Dot). Good enough anyway.
Anc handles one type of ambient sound and certain frequencies while the passive nc achieved by the tips does a different job in a different way, but yes silicone tips combined with anc does a more than good enough job for me to the extent that I hardly ever have to go over 40% volume on my iPhone

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #675 of 2,999
kinda disappointed it doesn't sound that much better than APP (to me at least it's extremely marginal)
It does sound much better to me. Way fuller and more body to the sound. Make sure you have a perfect seal, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back