Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #691 of 2,999
I compared the XM4 with the MTW2… sorry but the XM4 are way inferior to the MTW2 about sound quality, it is so direct and I really have not aspected this!
What are you saying sorry for? That’s what you feel. I liked the XM4 and others did. So it will not change how we see things. So perhaps not sorry. Enjoy the MTW2

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #692 of 2,999
I think I have found the „ultimate“ foam tips for the XM4, at least for me. I bought them on Amazon Germany and they are called „Comfort Foam Tips“ by a brand called „Sound by Sweden“. They are extremely comfortable, sit perfectly in my ear (I use size L) and make the XM4 sit flush inside my ear (sticking less out than even the original Sony tips).

Combine that with great (!) sound as they have a big(ger) hole/bore than the stock tips which opens up the highs in comparison to the stock tips. Sound isolation is great and obviously better than using silicone tips.

All in all, really happy with these!!

4048FA9E-B994-47DF-9A19-CAE9D5636E5A.jpeg
9EE60224-1A35-4284-ACE2-BDC9A9DA9018.jpeg
07D886B2-CAD0-4F7A-90EB-273470BA062A.jpeg
C58F0A41-0AC4-48AE-A7AB-5A7118206595.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #693 of 2,999
I use a similar foam tip, the Comply TrueGrip Pro Memory Foam Tips. They fits great and very comfortable.

First using my XM4 today in a noise environment and my pair is buggy. When using ambient mode it some times cuts in and out.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #694 of 2,999
I’m very impressed with the battery life of these, seems to be well above the promissed but strange that the right unit consistently uses more battery than the left (with the XM3 it is the other way round).

I'm in the same boat. I own two sets of these (one black one silver), and invariably, on both, the right side consumes more battery than the left. Seems to be by design then, but I can't fathom why. This is LDAC with ANC on and EQ on. No DSEE.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #695 of 2,999
Got the Epro tips in today and just started using them. The previous silicone tips I was using were also wide bore, but they were longer. The Epro tips are much smaller, so let's see how they isolate. So far so good at home. I'm listening to one of my favorite tracks - New York Morning by Elbow - everything sounds lovely, the vocals are full and present. The music envelops me.

Bought some of those a year or two ago, will have to go through my tip collection and find them. Never really cared for the narrow long vs wide short

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #696 of 2,999
Guys, I just received mines from John Lewis today and omg I am impressed with the sound quality. One thing to note tho, original eartips weren't my cup of tea, so i replaced them with SpinFit eartips and boom, sound quality improved impressively.

I highly recommend using them guys before you decide or sell. Because I saw many on ebay selling because they don't like the sound quality.

IMG_8062.jpg

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #697 of 2,999
As my first (only) pair of "true wireless" earphones, the XM4 are exactly what I was looking for in noise-canceling in-ears. I have a set of Custom Art's custom IEM tips installed that provide a decent seal once they are positioned properly on the earbud/in my ear. No connection issues with Win10pro laptop (using internal Intel Bluetooth, separate wired ethernet connection - in my experience using internal WiFi/Bluetooth combo cards with simultaneous WiFi and Bluetooth connections is a bad time for whatever you're doing) or a Samsung S10+. I did have a minor skip while connected to a Sony Walkman ZX507, but I was walking past an ambulance dispatcher, so that could have possibly been the cause. The one touch switch for the noise cancelling or ambient sounds is great for hearing the clerk at a checkout counter.

As for the sound, they sound somewhat V-shaped to me, which is my preference, so these are definitely a keeper.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #698 of 2,999
What are your settings?
I'm currently using the settings for the WF-1000XM3/NC and seem to work well with the WF-1000XM4
Sorry for the late reply, I first looked at the frequency response of the XM4 and made a custom EQ reducing the bass a bit a bringing out the highs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210626-194340_Wavelet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210626-194340_Wavelet.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #699 of 2,999
Yeah, that was the case but on M4 I can use EQ and LDAC at the same time. I just checked Bluetooth Audio Codec from Developer options and it shows Streaming: LDAC and my DESEE Extreme and EQ are all on. I am listening from Hiby R6 2020.
How are you getting the bit rate over bluetooth? On my R6 2020, I have entered Developer options so I can see that the Codec is LDAC. Sampling rate is 96khz and I can set it to 192 or something lower. 32 bit samples. but no transfer rate.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #700 of 2,999
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #701 of 2,999
Hey guys, has anyone tried tip rolling yet? This is one of the first things I do with a new IEM. Since the stock tips are mostly foam, that could be why they sound a little dark out the box. I'll be testing various silicone tips, including my favourites (Acoustune AET07) to see how they affect the sound/seal/ANC. If anything these tips will open up the sound very nicely, as they do with my high-end IEMs.
This is where I am at. tip rolling. I tried my go to Azla Sednaearfit tips and they sounded terrible. the stock tips are much better.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #702 of 2,999
I am listening to Amazon Music HD, 192Khz an average bitrate of 3730 kbps
How do you manage that since ldac maxes out at about 990 kbps

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #703 of 2,999
I am going to mess with 3rd party tips today (none of Sony's fit me as I need XL) so using SednaEarfit Crystals on my XM4's for near perfect passive seal but the sound is horrid (with no real mids/highs more like muddy), they did do the same thing to one of my other non TWS sets but worked well on all others including TWS sets so going to try my SpinFits knowing it may loose me some passive NC.

Also have battery issue on R bud and a few other things to post once I am done but so far not too happy.
Wow. I was just going to order these Azla Crystal tips. You saved me money. Thanks. My normal go to Azla SednaEarfit tips sounded horrible as well. Not sure why. It must be some type of interaction with the ANC.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #705 of 2,999
The only reason I'm not making it a big deal is because I don't have to disconnect them from my previous device when connecting to a new one. I can tolerate no multipoint if I can just connect to whatever device I'm using without disconnecting. It's when I have to disconnect first that it really bugs me.
I actually don't like bluetooth multipoint. I can't stand when I am using my APP and I turn on a device and it takes over the connection. If you have your APP connected to your car and your wife drives the car, it can switch the call to the car exactly where you don't want it to go. With the Sony implementation, I can just select the device I want to use by connecting bluetooth. This is what I am doing with my A/B testing between my iPHone and R6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back