Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,441 of 2,999
Hi guys, new poster here.

is there any universally accepted EQ setting for WF-1000XM4 using the Sony Connect app to make it more neutral akin to either a Harman target or Diffuse target?

I think one of the universal issues of this TWS is how people think it is a tad bit too dark.

I would be interested to see what setting everybody else is using. Thanks! (BTW, this is for using the Sony app EQ, not a third party EQ if possible--thanks!)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,442 of 2,999
Hi guys, new poster here.

is there any universally accepted EQ setting for WF-1000XM4 using the Sony Connect app to make it more neutral akin to either a Harman target or Diffuse target?

I think one of the universal issues of this TWS is how people think it is a tad bit too dark.

I would be interested to see what setting everybody else is using. Thanks! (BTW, this is for using the Sony app EQ, not a third party EQ if possible--thanks!)
I don't have harman or diffuse as reference, but something in the middle.
I prefer wavelet but with sony's eq I use these settings with silicon tips (with stock foams I add some at 6.3k).
clear bass = -2
400hz = +1
1k = +2
2.5k = +3
6.3k = +4
16k = 0

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,443 of 2,999
Alright, new update on tips. I liked my foamed spiral dots, but due to the shallow fit of the xm4, which I like, they slip out after awhile. Decided to try the xelastec I tried for some iwms last year, that were just too bright for an iem that already lacked bass. Well, with the xm4, the xelastec seems to be all positives. Don't feel like I need the foam on the stem with these. Ordered a slightly smaller set, and hoping to stick with these tips. Xm4 are still my favorite tws thus far. Enjoy falcon pro, z7, buds pro, but for my taste, sound profile etc, I haven't heard something that beats the xm4 musicality for MY particular tastes

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #1,444 of 2,999
I returned mine, its just not as seamless as the Airpods Pro when using iDevices. Of course sound quality is much better from the XM4 but there are subtle annoyances, like not switching to the XM4's automatically when you get a call on iPhone. When getting a phone call, there is no ringer on the XM4 vs the AP Pro. When I use my iPad, the XM4's don't automatically switch to the iPad's sound source.

When I'm on the move, convenience trumps SQ , when I'm inside..I go to the Z1Rs.

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,445 of 2,999
I returned mine, its just not as seamless as the Airpods Pro when using iDevices. Of course sound quality is much better from the XM4 but there are subtle annoyances, like not switching to the XM4's automatically when you get a call on iPhone. When getting a phone call, there is no ringer on the XM4 vs the AP Pro. When I use my iPad, the XM4's don't automatically switch to the iPad's sound source.

When I'm on the move, convenience trumps SQ , when I'm inside..I go to the Z1Rs.
Simpler for me as I use them 99% of the time just with my iPhone

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #1,447 of 2,999
Still playing around with the EQ.

I really wish I had my own measurement rig so I can totally see what my adjustments do.

So I humbly ask again, would anyone that has a measurement rig to test out these settings?

8696A94B-1590-4D5F-A6FC-F2DC5EE58DAD.png

Thanks in advance!

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #1,448 of 2,999

I really wish I had my own measurement rig so I can totally see what my adjustments do.

So I humbly ask again, would anyone that has a measurement rig to test out these settings?

8696A94B-1590-4D5F-A6FC-F2DC5EE58DAD.png

Thanks in advance!
I don't have a measurement rig but curious, what is the intention on this setting, to make the sound more neutral?

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,449 of 2,999
I don't have a measurement rig but curious, what is the intention on this setting, to make the sound more neutral?
I wanted to minimize the mid-bass bump and make the bass a bit more "even" or "linear".

I needed that huge bump in 6.3k to give me a bit more treble attack. (This is my inner treblehead talking)

The lowered 2.5k should give me enough upper midrange presence during my transit especially when I turn up the volume a bit more.

So it should turn out as somewhat "Neutral" to my preferences.

My previous setting was amazing when I'm just at home at lower volumes but once I step out and during my transit commutes, it gets quite a bit hot.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #1,450 of 2,999
I wanted to minimize the mid-bass bump and make the bass a bit more "even" or "linear".

I needed that huge bump in 6.3k to give me a bit more treble attack. (This is my inner treblehead talking)

The lowered 2.5k should give me enough upper midrange presence during my transit especially when I turn up the volume a bit more.

My previous setting was amazing when I'm just at home at lower volumes but once I step out and during my transit commutes, it gets quite a bit hot.
Oh that's awesome, I was looking for a setting like this. I'll give it a try later.

I have a question (which I hope you don't mind), I am very new to EQing and sound signatures and all that, so I want to ask.

If say, I take all of your settings, and add +3 to all of them. What would result is completely the same sound, except louder, is that correct? Is this the correct way of thinking about this?

Also for clear bass, does it really just affect the clarity or does it affect the overall volume of the bass?

Additional question, are you using the stock tips or changed to something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #1,451 of 2,999
Oh that's awesome, I was looking for a setting like this. I'll give it a try later.

I have a question (which I hope you don't mind), I am very new to EQing and sound signatures and all that, so I want to ask.

If say, I take all of your settings, and add +3 to all of them. What would result is completely the same sound, except louder, is that correct? Is this the correct way of thinking about this?

Also for clear bass, does it really just affect the clarity or does it affect the overall volume of the bass?

Additional question, are you using the stock tips or changed to something else?

Thanks!
I actually don't usually EQ my other IEMs.

But since the XM4 is very good with EQ and it actually stores the tuning in the IEMs themselves, I don't have to do anything whenever I connect to other sources, like say my iPad Pro or my WM1A.

And for the +3 stuff, unfortunately, I think, it's not just the loudness you're changing. There are some frequencies that aren't touched in the app, so I'm unsure how much it'll change in the overall FR response. That's why In my opinion, having a measurement rig is always a must when doing EQ.

As for the Clear bass, no it doesn't affect clarity, it actually just adjusts the midbass.

I am currently using the Final E tips. As my ears need an in-between the stock medium and small. If there was one, I'd be using that.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,452 of 2,999

Thanks in advance!
Brown = ANC
Green = No ANC

Sony XM4 riverground EQ2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #1,453 of 2,999

Are you looking for something shaped more like the diffuse field target curve?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #1,454 of 2,999
Are you looking for something shaped more like the diffuse field target?
Not necessarily.

I just want something closer to the tuning of the FitEar MH335DW, since it's my go-to for my daily commutes.

My base for my adjustments was the Mellow preset and adjusted the 6.5k and 16k.

graph 21.png

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #1,455 of 2,999
Not necessarily.

I just want something closer to the tuning of the FitEar MH335DW, since it's my go-to for my daily commutes.

My base for my adjustments was the Mellow preset and adjusted the 6.5k and 16k.

I'd recommend trying +1 400hz, +1 1khz. It evens out the small dips in the lower and upper mids. (Or possibly +3 400hz +1 1khz given your target).

If no ANC +3 clearbass
with ANC +1 clear bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back