Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #1,426 of 2,999
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #1,427 of 2,999
I liked Symbio tips, but got very uncomfortable after a couple hours, which is why I mated them with the Spiral dots
Same here. Symbio (and even Sedna) are too hard for longer sessions. SD (not ++) are easily the most comfortable, followed by Acoustune AET 07. Then again I don't like a deep fit as it's too uncomfortable for me and I'd rather compromise with less isolation.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #1,428 of 2,999
Does anyone know what size of Comply Foam is correct for the XM4? Has anyone tried this particular brand and had a good result? Any suggestions not to pay the ... € 28! for a pair of original tips?
My apologies if this issue has already been discussed.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,429 of 2,999
I feel like these sound very different depending on how you wear them in the ear. I mean OBVIOUSLY they do, but they're overly sensitive to fit in my experience.
I used to really try to get them to fit deep in my ears (because I like that fit and it usually feels more secure) by sort of pressing them into the ear by pushing down/in on where the little gold/rose gold or bronze-colored detail is and they get a way better seal but I think they sound worse that way.

Also, how do they fit in your ears. not comfortwise but like... physically? I feel like my ears are weird, but I would expect them to be somewhat resting completely straight against the concha, but for me the top part of the earbuds jut out quite a bit which leaves a bit of a space behind the earbud, enough to get a finger in between my ear and the earbud.
I don't think i've seen it sit like that in other peoples ears when i've seen images but i'm not sure.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,430 of 2,999
I feel like these sound very different depending on how you wear them in the ear. I mean OBVIOUSLY they do, but they're overly sensitive to fit in my experience.
I used to really try to get them to fit deep in my ears (because I like that fit and it usually feels more secure) by sort of pressing them into the ear by pushing down/in on where the little gold/rose gold or bronze-colored detail is and they get a way better seal but I think they sound worse that way.

Also, how do they fit in your ears. not comfortwise but like... physically? I feel like my ears are weird, but I would expect them to be somewhat resting completely straight against the concha, but for me the top part of the earbuds jut out quite a bit which leaves a bit of a space behind the earbud, enough to get a finger in between my ear and the earbud.
I don't think i've seen it sit like that in other peoples ears when i've seen images but i'm not sure.
That's definitely not how they should fit! See pic below for how they fit for me: completely flush against my ear with just a gentle push inward, and the tips (Spiral Dot medium small size) don't sit too deep either, just past the opening to my ear canal and very comfortable. I can hardly feel them after a while. You shouldn't be able to get anything between the earpiece and your ear. Either the tips you're using are too big, or too long (deep). I can shake my head vigorously and they don't move around at all.

On a separate note, I have way too many grey hairs now! 🙈

PSX_20210827_110638.jpg

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #1,431 of 2,999
That's definitely not how they should fit! See pic below for how they fit for me: completely flush against my ear with just a gentle push inward, and the tips (Spiral Dot medium small size) don't sit too deep either, just past the opening to my ear canal and very comfortable. I can hardly feel them after a while. You shouldn't be able to get anything between the earpiece and your ear. Either the tips you're using are too big, or too long (deep). I can shake my head vigorously and they don't move around at all.

On a separate note, I have way too many grey hairs now! 🙈

B5EC10DD-61D7-4074-B97C-940F8142ADFE.jpeg
This is how they fit me right now if I want a good seal. I don’t think I wear tips that are too large, on the contrary I feel like they might be too short, which is why I need to push them down and in and make them fit like this.

I can get them to ALMOST sit flush with my ears if I just pull them out a bit from my ear canals, and I can tell that you’ve rotated the earbuds more so that the bronze accent (is it the mic?) is aimed down a bit more than mine are. But if I wear them like that, I don’t get a seal at all and lose all noise isolation both passive and active.

This is wearing the Large stock WF-1000XM3 stock tips btw.

(Sorry about my fuzzy ugly ears btw)

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #1,432 of 2,999
B5EC10DD-61D7-4074-B97C-940F8142ADFE.jpegThis is how they fit me right now if I want a good seal. I don’t think I wear tips that are too large, on the contrary I feel like they might be too short, which is why I need to push them down and in and make them fit like this.

I can get them to ALMOST sit flush with my ears if I just pull them out a bit from my ear canals, and I can tell that you’ve rotated the earbuds more so that the bronze accent (is it the mic?) is aimed down a bit more than mine are. But if I wear them like that, I don’t get a seal at all and lose all noise isolation both passive and active.

This is wearing the Large stock WF-1000XM3 stock tips btw.

(Sorry about my fuzzy ugly ears btw)
WARNING: fuzzy ear shot below, not for sensitive viewers.

Ok so I've tried taking a shot from a similar angle so you can see what I mean by the IEMs sitting flush (apologies for the focus, hard to shoot accurate selfies of the ear). Give a few different tips a try maybe? I find silicone works much better than foam for me, and Spiral Dots are particularly comfortable (pillowy soft) and quite shallow. Good luck experimenting!

PSX_20210827_122358.jpg

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,433 of 2,999
WARNING: fuzzy ear shot below, not for sensitive viewers.

Ok so I've tried taking a shot from a similar angle so you can see what I mean by the IEMs sitting flush (apologies for the focus, hard to shoot accurate selfies of the ear). Give a few different tips a try maybe? I find silicone works much better than foam for me, and Spiral Dots are particularly comfortable (pillowy soft) and quite shallow. Good luck experimenting!

PSX_20210827_122358.jpg
Yes mine sits flush like that as well using SpiralDot++, SpinFit or FinalE tips

Aug 27, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #1,434 of 2,999
I think I just have very deep ears and big ear canals I guess, I think that’s one of the reasons why it doesn’t sit flush, because the concha (I think it’s called?) seems more recessed than yours and to really get a seal I would need longer tips, but even so I would probably need to push them in at an angle the XM4’s don’t seem to be made for.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,435 of 2,999
Since we're sharing ear pics, here's some of mine :D
Using stock large tips. They sit quite flush in my ears. Sometimes after prolonged wear I tilt them a little forward or upwards because they tend to irritate the part of the ear where most of the weight sits. Fit is quite snug otherwise, don't feel like they'll fall out on their own no matter what I do.

ears.png

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,439 of 2,999
I've been trying azla crystals (non tws) and xelastec in the last two days. Both are good for fit, they have a nice grip, maybe the crystals are a bit better (I didn't expect it) but the insertion it's trickier probably because one of my ear canals is less deep and crystal are a tiny bit longer (less than 1mm) and stiffer with a different type of silicon. Both are magnets for debris.
Sound wise I prefer the xelastecs, they are similar to cp360s while crystal have the same slight horn effect of when I deep insert a wide bore tip. I've been wearing both couples with a shallower insertion (watch in the picture how the microphone pop out). Xelastecs are also more comfy. I will stick with them and see how long they will last.

Attachments

• tip.jpg
    tip.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 0
Aug 29, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #1,440 of 2,999
After 2 1/2 hours with anc and eq

5BEC4BCA-E4D2-4448-AC26-452DB6E431F3.jpeg
95800C90-1478-40DE-AE85-CBC20937C273.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back