Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #1,457 of 2,999
I'd recommend trying +1 400hz, +1 1khz. It evens out the small dips in the lower and upper mids. (Or possibly +3 400hz +1 1khz given your target).

If no ANC +3 clearbass
with ANC +1 clear bass
Could you do a measurement with these settings compared to the one I have and the mellow preset as well?

All with ANC On. Thanks again man!

Aug 31, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #1,458 of 2,999
Are you looking for something shaped more like the diffuse field target curve?
graph (2).png

The blue line represents my target response actually. I'm wondering what's the best way to achieve this with the Sony Connect EQ.

Thanks very much for your help.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,459 of 2,999
Anyone compared these to Sennheiser TW2? I've had mine about a year or so and while I like the sound quality, I find noise cancelling isn't great, Bluetooth drops quite often when out walking and the mic not fantastic when I've tried for use on Zoom calls etc. Will Sony solve these problems?!

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,460 of 2,999
Not necessarily.

I just want something closer to the tuning of the FitEar MH335DW, since it's my go-to for my daily commutes.

My base for my adjustments was the Mellow preset and adjusted the 6.5k and 16k.

graph 21.png

Could you do a measurement with these settings compared to the one I have and the mellow preset as well?

All with ANC On. Thanks again man!

I went a little further and tested a bunch of settings. Settings are listed in the title, take the +1db of clear bass out if you want. This is the closest I think it'll come to your fitear.

Sony XM4 riverground EQ3.jpg

Hi there, I AM looking for something like this, can you please give me setting instructions for the Sony Connect EQ for a Diffuse Field target? Kind of something that looks like say, a Blessing 2 Dusk, which I use indoors.

Thanks!

graph (2).png

The blue line represents my target response actually. I'm wondering what's the best way to achieve this with the Sony Connect EQ.

Thanks very much for your help.

With or without ANC?

This is how it measures on my settings.
Sony XM4 EQ testing 3 (DF).jpg

Aug 31, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,461 of 2,999
I went a little further and tested a bunch of settings. Settings are listed in the title, take the +1db of clear bass out if you want. This is the closest I think it'll come to your fitear.

With or without ANC?

Thanks a lot buddy!

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #1,462 of 2,999
I just changed from jabra 65t to a mf-1000xm4.
The sony give way smoother sound, better tonal balance, better separation, but with exchange of liveness. With jabra I feel vocal like “she was there” while sony gives “she was in studio”.
One more thing is the volume is quite noticebly lower than the jabra.
I tried to update the latest fw but it still doesn’t work.
Anyone feel the low volume of 1000xm4 is a problem? (I only use the sony with iphone pro 12)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,463 of 2,999

With or without ANC?

I mostly use my XM4s outside with ANC, occasionally I do use them indoors without as the ANC sometimes put pressure in my ears.

Anyway I would appreciate if you can give me settings for both to kind of replicate the B2 Dusk sound.

Thank you so much.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #1,464 of 2,999
I mostly use my XM4s outside with ANC, occasionally I do use them indoors without as the ANC sometimes put pressure in my ears.

Anyway I would appreciate if you can give me settings for both to kind of replicate the B2 Dusk sound.

Thank you so much.
PhotoGrid_1630446788955.jpg

You can bring the clearbass up to get the low end lift your preferred sound signature has.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #1,465 of 2,999
PhotoGrid_1630446788955.jpg

You can bring the clearbass up to get the low end lift your preferred sound signature has.
Super thank you very much. I will be using these settings from here henceforth.

I do have a question, Clear Bass doesn't really specify what range of bass they encompass--is it mid or sub bass?

Also I just want to share to you, while I was waiting for your recommendation, I attempted to "eyeball" the changes based on the graphs I sent you and came up with:
EQ (2).png

I have gotten it so far out of your recommendation that it's not even funny. I have a completely wrong understanding about EQ correction it seems; because I just looked at where the lines are and simply tried to add up to a level where I think both lines would meet. Apparently it's not as easy as that.

Also may I ask, what are your recommended tips for the XM4, or what tips did you use to reproduce the B2 Dusk signature?

Thank you again. Loving these.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #1,466 of 2,999
Super thank you very much. I will be using these settings from here henceforth.

I do have a question, Clear Bass doesn't really specify what range of bass they encompass--is it mid or sub bass?

Also I just want to share to you, while I was waiting for your recommendation, I attempted to "eyeball" the changes based on the graphs I sent you and came up with: EQ (2).png
I have gotten it so far out of your recommendation that it's not even funny. I have a completely wrong understanding about EQ correction it seems; because I just looked at where the lines are and simply tried to add up to a level where I think both lines would meet. Apparently it's not as easy as that.

Also may I ask, what are your recommended tips for the XM4, or what tips did you use to reproduce the B2 Dusk signature?

Thank you again. Loving these.

Clear bass seems to effect 200hz and below. So the whole bass range.

Use tips that fit well, you find comfortable and sound good to you. Everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for someone else.

I use APP foams with their core removed. I have shallow ear canals and these work well for me, they also are wide bore and have a 'skin' so they don't effect the treble negatively (to me).

As far as when measuring, I use generic ball foam tips from AE (4.5mm bore, large size).

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,467 of 2,999
Hi All, I just got the XM4 and really enjoying the sound and convince of Sony's latest iteration. I've read several pages of tip rolling and as expected, opinions are mixed. Here are my thoughts on what I think are general guidelines. I am pairing with both my iPhone 12 Pro (AAC) and Fiio M11 Plus LTD (LDAC)

**WARNING IF YOU ARE USING AN IOS/MAC AND ANDROID DEVICE WITH THE XM4!!!!!!!!!**
IOS/MAC volume works in sync with the XM4 volume AKA "Absolute Volume". This means that when you change the XM4 volume in the app, the iOS/Mac volume changes in exact same amount and vice versa. However for Android, it is the opposite - Android volume is independent with the XM4 volume by default. In order to get usable volume levels, you have to increase the XM4 volume to 100% inside the app and then use the Android volume for desired listening levels. HERE IS THE PROBLEM - after using Android, when you switch back to iOS/Mac guess what? VOLUME WILL BE AT 100% BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS SAVED ON THE XM4!!! In order to make sure this doesn't happen, enable Developer Option and look for "Disable Absolute Volume" and make sure it is NOT turned on. By disabling the "Disable" feature the XM4 and Android volume will now be in sync just like iOS.

Edit - forgot to mention, with the M tips I figured out that pressing down on the top mic area of the shell (fore and middle fingers), then slightly up (thumbs on the metallic round part) into my ear canals gave me the best fit and sound.

Tip Rolling

When I first got these I did what most IEM owners do - find the tips that insert and seal as deep as possible. Those were the small OEM tips for me and the app testing confirmed air tight seal. Sound however was on the darker side. I've read impressions here that say "that's just they way they are". IEMs are also notoriously difficult to measure FR too. Not satisfied with the sound, I decided to try the medium and large ear tips. Guess what? The app says those are air tight as well. I next noticed an option in the app where you try all 3 tips sizes from S to L and it will tell you the best one. For me the app said L was best even though all 3 tested "air tight". Next I tried to listen with the "optimal" L and the sound was a lot brighter with thinner low end. Too bright and thin for my tastes. I was not surprised at that because the L ear tip did not go into my ear canal at all, but somehow still sealed. I am guessing the app is designed to tell you use the largest ear tip that will still seal. Looking at the instructions (I know LOL) the diagram clearly show that you want some insertion into the canals. I went back to the M size and definitely felt it just inside my ear canals and the sound was in between what I experienced with S and L. This suites my tastes - good low end extension, full mids, smooth but detailed highs. No EQ needed for my tastes. Last note - each size seems to play about 2-3 clicks louder with S being loudest and L being the lowest.

I'll probably try some of my silicon tips since 99% of my listening doesn't require the level of ANC I get with OEM tips. I have to fidget with the OEM hybrid foam for several minutes before settling in. On plane though, I definitely plan to swap to OEM tips as the ANC is best I've heard in an IEM.

Bit Stream - honestly, I can't tell the difference between AAC and LDAC. Part of that could be that I have no way of knowing "which" LDAC stream I'm getting even though I've set both XM4 and Android for optimal sound quality and see the "LDAC" notification when I pair.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #1,468 of 2,999
Hi All, I just got the XM4 and really enjoying the sound and convince of Sony's latest iteration. I've read several pages of tip rolling and as expected, opinions are mixed. Here are my thoughts on what I think are general guidelines. I am pairing with both my iPhone 12 Pro (AAC) and Fiio M11 Plus LTD (LDAC)

**WARNING IF YOU ARE USING AN IOS/MAC AND ANDROID DEVICE WITH THE XM4!!!!!!!!!**
IOS/MAC volume works in sync with the XM4 volume AKA "Absolute Volume". This means that when you change the XM4 volume in the app, the iOS/Mac volume changes in exact same amount and vice versa. However for Android, it is the opposite - Android volume is independent with the XM4 volume by default. In order to get usable volume levels, you have to increase the XM4 volume to 100% inside the app and then use the Android volume for desired listening levels. HERE IS THE PROBLEM - after using Android, when you switch back to iOS/Mac guess what? VOLUME WILL BE AT 100% BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS SAVED ON THE XM4!!! In order to make sure this doesn't happen, enable Developer Option and look for "Disable Absolute Volume" and make sure it is NOT turned on. By disabling the "Disable" feature the XM4 and Android volume will now be in sync just like iOS.

Edit - forgot to mention, with the M tips I figured out that pressing down on the top mic area of the shell (fore and middle fingers), then slightly up (thumbs on the metallic round part) into my ear canals gave me the best fit and sound.

Tip Rolling

When I first got these I did what most IEM owners do - find the tips that insert and seal as deep as possible. Those were the small OEM tips for me and the app testing confirmed air tight seal. Sound however was on the darker side. I've read impressions here that say "that's just they way they are". IEMs are also notoriously difficult to measure FR too. Not satisfied with the sound, I decided to try the medium and large ear tips. Guess what? The app says those are air tight as well. I next noticed an option in the app where you try all 3 tips sizes from S to L and it will tell you the best one. For me the app said L was best even though all 3 tested "air tight". Next I tried to listen with the "optimal" L and the sound was a lot brighter with thinner low end. Too bright and thin for my tastes. I was not surprised at that because the L ear tip did not go into my ear canal at all, but somehow still sealed. I am guessing the app is designed to tell you use the largest ear tip that will still seal. Looking at the instructions (I know LOL) the diagram clearly show that you want some insertion into the canals. I went back to the M size and definitely felt it just inside my ear canals and the sound was in between what I experienced with S and L. This suites my tastes - good low end extension, full mids, smooth but detailed highs. No EQ needed for my tastes. Last note - each size seems to play about 2-3 clicks louder with S being loudest and L being the lowest.

I'll probably try some of my silicon tips since 99% of my listening doesn't require the level of ANC I get with OEM tips. I have to fidget with the OEM hybrid foam for several minutes before settling in. On plane though, I definitely plan to swap to OEM tips as the ANC is best I've heard in an IEM.

Bit Stream - honestly, I can't tell the difference between AAC and LDAC. Part of that could be that I have no way of knowing "which" LDAC stream I'm getting even though I've set both XM4 and Android for optimal sound quality and see the "LDAC" notification when I pair.
AAC and LDAC, you'll here most differences in the treble response. Maybe can tell. At the same time, xm4 are on the warmer side, so not terribly detailed treble

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #1,469 of 2,999
Anyone looking for something to hold your M11+ on your desk, I found this smartphone stand that works great and leaves the 4.4mm and 3.5mm ports open:

Smartphone Stand

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,470 of 2,999

Tip Rolling

You have a little more control over the LDAC performance by going into Developer Options in the Android Settings. The default is adaptive (it will dynamically change from, iirc, 330 to 990, depending on connection quality) which to me honestly works fine, but when I really want to ensure the highest bitrate I go to the Developer options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back