Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #781 of 2,999
You are not getting proper seal, the ANC is insane, at the top with Bose and big XM4. Not sure what you expect....
Nope I test with the app.. I got a tight seal.

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #782 of 2,999
I am amazed @nakedtoes even likes the WF-1000XM4 seeing their affiliations with Etymotic, Grado etc. All those companies are much more analytical and midrange oriented certainly not on the "dark side"... of the moon... :sunglasses:

My suggestion is tip rolling some more, maybe try some original Sony Hybrids if they have any kicking around. Bottom line is finding the right combination that works best for their ears and probably some serious EQ work to get a signature that's more in line with their usual listening options. Unless of course they like the change up in signature which might also be the case :).

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #783 of 2,999
Nope I test with the app.. I got a tight seal.
If I’m on a train, bus or plane switching anc on/off makes a very clear difference but certainly not 100% cone of silence which is an unrealistic expectation. The bast passive isolation I have is the qJays V2 with Ety tripple flange brain implant tips and XM4 anc betters that

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #784 of 2,999
I listen with treble boost...
I am amazed @nakedtoes even likes the WF-1000XM4 seeing their affiliations with Etymotic, Grado etc. All those companies are much more analytical and midrange oriented certainly not on the "dark side"... of the moon... :sunglasses:

My suggestion is tip rolling some more, maybe try some original Sony Hybrids if they have any kicking around. Bottom line is finding the right combination that works best for their ears and probably some serious EQ work to get a signature that's more in line with their usual listening options. Unless of course they like the change up in signature which might also be the case :).

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #785 of 2,999
If I’m on a train, bus or plane switching anc on/off makes a very clear difference but certainly not 100% cone of silence which is an unrealistic expectation. The bast passive isolation I have is the qJays V2 with Ety tripple flange brain implant tips and XM4 anc betters that
i still have no chance to use outdoor yet... but with ANC ON and music pause... i still can hear the voices from my tv.. although not as loud as with ANC off...Maybe i am expecting too much after hearing the ANC in WH-1000XM4 headphones..

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #786 of 2,999
i still have no chance to use outdoor yet... but with ANC ON and music pause... i still can hear the voices from my tv.. although not as loud as with ANC off...Maybe i am expecting too much after hearing the ANC in WH-1000XM4 headphones..
I don’t think any anc will eliminate voices and the WH must have better passive isolation to start with (I’ve only tried the WH-XM3 that did have better isolation than the WF-XM3 but the WF are just so much more practical and convenient so I sold the WH). With anc I’ve yet to go over about 40-50% volume on my iPhone in any situation both with XM3 and XM4 and I frequently had to go much higher with cabled iem’s, even the qJays with tripple flange tips

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #787 of 2,999
Oh just to share how to default to LDAC 990kb/sec everytime. .. beside download the sony headphone connect app.. need to install the sony music center app... from there can set higher bitrate LDAC.. now dun need to go developer mode to select 990kb ... it will auto to 990kb
97Vj587.jpg

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #788 of 2,999
Cancelling voices is the last great frontier for ANC…. The tech is good for lows and for more constant sounds. Higher frequencies, and sounds with rapid changes are much harder to cancel. If you are hoping for an ANC solution that cancels voices from TV, roommates, or a significant other, you won’t really find that…. Those sounds are reduced, but not eliminated with the current technology.

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #789 of 2,999
I tried the hybrid foams that came with my original wf-1000x against the new foams and no competition, next to my noisy dishwasher. There's some special isolation going on with the new tips. I don't think gonna make tip rolling easy.

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #790 of 2,999
Been with the XM4 for 5 days. Out of the box, with everything stock, the sound is quite acceptable to me but some way below the PI7 in terms of details on top. After heeding the advice here to replace with the Spiral Dot++ (which I absolutely hated when pairing with my other TWS as they comes overly bright and killed the lows), the details with XM4 are surprisingly good. Compared to MTW2 and PI7, XM4 is still a bit lacking in details but very close. And the features on XM4 more than make up the small amount of deficiencies in SQ for me so XM4 becomes my new daily driver at the moment. Using the spiral dots++ does let in more outside sound than either the original foam or the alza sedna earfit, though.
Interesting to me, when I put the sedna earfit short (black ones with blue stem), I can lower volume by one click(I think about 7/8%) on my z fold 2 before ourside noise creeping in when compared to the original form while music is playing . I guess sedna earfit are better fit to me ears......

The EQ on the XM4s are actually quite good. But there is no amount of EQ that I can set to get it to be as good as the MTW2 and the PI7 in terms of high details as of yet. Maybe time will tell.

Oh, that is XM4s on LDAC compared to PI7/MTW2 on AptX, as my ZFold2 does not do AptX adaptive or HD..

And the XM4 is definitely the loudest out of all three.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #791 of 2,999
At highest 990kb but rate.. Even my phone in front of me.. At crowded environments.. I get disconnection when Ppl walk pass me.

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #793 of 2,999
Isn't that kind of the point of high bitrate?
More data being sent = more errors so if you want to get a more stable connection try lowering the bitrate or using a different codec
Uhhh, maybe not the POINT but it's definitely something that's more likely to happen when you use LDAC or sometimes even AptX over the lower quality but more stable AAC and SBC. I've heard a lot more about sound artifacts and lower bluetooth range using the XM4's with LDAC.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #794 of 2,999
Uhhh, maybe not the POINT but it's definitely something that's more likely to happen when you use LDAC or sometimes even AptX over the lower quality but more stable AAC and SBC. I've heard a lot more about sound artifacts and lower bluetooth range using the XM4's with LDAC.
There has been a lot written about how people don’t like that they have to go into developer settings each time to set LDAC to highest bit rate from adaptive. I used to also be annoyed by this but now I realize that helps keep a more stable connection. If the connection can be kept at high bit rate the player and earphones will keep the connection speed up. But if there are transmission losses it will compensate. I wonder if some of the problems folks are having is due to forcing the higher bit rate…? Anyway, even with the setting at adaptive I am getting some cutouts, but I also have the same issue with other earphones, and not just with LDAC codec but also aptX, so I suspect that my ancient LG v30 is more to blame than the TWS sets…

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #795 of 2,999
I don’t think any anc will eliminate voices and the WH must have better passive isolation to start with (I’ve only tried the WH-XM3 that did have better isolation than the WF-XM3 but the WF are just so much more practical and convenient so I sold the WH). With anc I’ve yet to go over about 40-50% volume on my iPhone in any situation both with XM3 and XM4 and I frequently had to go much higher with cabled iem’s, even the qJays with tripple flange tips
FWIW I agree. The WF-XM4 are so good wrt ANC so I decided to sell my WH-XM3. Of course it depends on the seal you can obtain. I have come back to my comply foams true grip, they are superb for isolation, whereas the CP360 are better for SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back