Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #751 of 2,999
Those coming from the XM3 a worthy upgrade ? I Enjoyed the XM3 but i bought one used off ebay and it was "too used," for me to keep.
Depends. Sounds like you don't have the XM3 right now? If you're looking for something to buy, I'd say these are worth it over the XM3. On the other hand, I spent over an hour last night doing A/B comparisons of my XM3 and the XM4 I just received. Content sourced from Spotify, XM3 playing from an iPhone 12 Pro (AAC), and the XM4 from a Pixel 4 (LDAC). I did not notice any upfront quality differences (though I have always struggled to tell high-quality lossy apart from hi-res/lossless).

Their sound signatures seemed a bit different. The XM3 was stronger in the low end (bass, guitars, deep make vocals), but was lagging the XM4 in the high end (sparkly electronic and high female vocals). That said, neither are great at the high end to my ears. For most tracks, I'd be hard pressed to call a winner one way or the other, from my Spotify listening anyway. Right now, I am leaning towards returning the XM4 because I don't see it as a meaningful upgrade from the XM3. My WH-1000XM4 put both to shame. Since getting the WH, I only use the WF for outdoor activity and cardio (I have sweat like a pig with the XM3 and never had an issue). The WH are that much better in every metric (except ears getting hot/sweaty).

Of course, tips matter. I used Spinfits years ago with the SE846, but didn't like them once I got my hands on the CA Andromeda. Foam/marshmallow tips have been my go-to since then. I disliked the stock XM3 foam tips, but really like the stock XM4 foam. The Spinfits (or silicone in general) on both sets of buds make the high end way too harsh for me, the low end weaker, and the fit too insecure.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #752 of 2,999
Well, let's see then. Only one way to know. Pulled wallet.
Competition won't be easy or fair, but I'm kinda used to the same comparison flows by now. 🤷‍♂️

20210701_014249.jpg

20210701_014224.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #753 of 2,999
Depends. Sounds like you don't have the XM3 right now? If you're looking for something to buy, I'd say these are worth it over the XM3. On the other hand, I spent over an hour last night doing A/B comparisons of my XM3 and the XM4 I just received. Content sourced from Spotify, XM3 playing from an iPhone 12 Pro (AAC), and the XM4 from a Pixel 4 (LDAC). I did not notice any upfront quality differences (though I have always struggled to tell high-quality lossy apart from hi-res/lossless).

Their sound signatures seemed a bit different. The XM3 was stronger in the low end (bass, guitars, deep make vocals), but was lagging the XM4 in the high end (sparkly electronic and high female vocals). That said, neither are great at the high end to my ears. For most tracks, I'd be hard pressed to call a winner one way or the other, from my Spotify listening anyway. Right now, I am leaning towards returning the XM4 because I don't see it as a meaningful upgrade from the XM3. My WH-1000XM4 put both to shame. Since getting the WH, I only use the WF for outdoor activity and cardio (I have sweat like a pig with the XM3 and never had an issue). The WH are that much better in every metric (except ears getting hot/sweaty).

Of course, tips matter. I used Spinfits years ago with the SE846, but didn't like them once I got my hands on the CA Andromeda. Foam/marshmallow tips have been my go-to since then. I disliked the stock XM3 foam tips, but really like the stock XM4 foam. The Spinfits (or silicone in general) on both sets of buds make the high end way too harsh for me, the low end weaker, and the fit too insecure.

Nope. I do not. The unit i had was too damaged. Sounded decent, though. I dont have any ANC pairs and it somewhat intrigues me if only for phone calls/light music listening.

I currently have L2P, Nuarl N6 and Melomania Touch. ANC would be a welcomed piece to round out the collection. I feel like these would be a better fit for my ears. Already have (Xm3) style in the L2P and N6.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #754 of 2,999
Anyone else finding these a bit bulbous down near the stem area? Seems a little difficult to me to get a good seal and maintain comfort as they tend to create some pressure points on my ear. Not sure if I should be striving for a little deeper of a fit or a shallower one? Have tried a number of tips, and have some final E tips on there right now. Spinfit 360s are on the way to try out.

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #755 of 2,999
Stock tips are no good to me, but I think this is highly personal.
Now with Final E tips and with a little twist after inserting, they are both firm and good sealed.

Used to have XM3 where the stock tips worked well for me.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #756 of 2,999
These are some of the best sounding TWS i have ever listened to so far. The fit is the only issue I have so far but the sound is amazing with a great source in this instance is Deezer hifi. everything is amazing, with the Eq off there is nothing I would change or change.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #758 of 2,999
Was hoping to get some assistance from the community. I continually hear a notification beep, after a few months of minutes of listening. I check the app and my phone and there is no sign of a notification, text or anything. Trying. This chase down the source, any ideas? Running a Galaxy Note 20 connected via LDAC

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #759 of 2,999
Was hoping to get some assistance from the community. I continually hear a notification beep, after a few months of minutes of listening. I check the app and my phone and there is no sign of a notification, text or anything. Trying. This chase down the source, any ideas? Running a Galaxy Note 20 connected via LDAC
Maybe check your notification history to see if it's not some rogue notification? Do they do that on any other sources, like another phone or a PC?

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #760 of 2,999
I can check my DAP to see if I get the same, thanks

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #761 of 2,999
Do y'all reckon they will fix the call quality on the earbuds? I swore that I would only get the new XM4's if they fix the call quality and based on all the call quality samples I've heard it's barely better at all, or a sidegrade because it's a bit better in noisy environments but worse in quiet ones.
I want to buy them because they're a pretty complete package but I honestly rage when people tell me they can't hear me when i'm talking on a $200+ earbud so I have to switch over to the phone, it's pretty infuriating.

I mean, is it even fixable? I don't want to think that Sony would skimp out on the hardware and that it's more of a software thing making them sound that bad?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #762 of 2,999
To me the call quality is clearly better than XM3, but I hardly ever take calls on buds (probably at most 1 call per month) so have very little to base it on

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #763 of 2,999
Do y'all reckon they will fix the call quality on the earbuds? I swore that I would only get the new XM4's if they fix the call quality and based on all the call quality samples I've heard it's barely better at all, or a sidegrade because it's a bit better in noisy environments but worse in quiet ones.
I want to buy them because they're a pretty complete package but I honestly rage when people tell me they can't hear me when i'm talking on a $200+ earbud so I have to switch over to the phone, it's pretty infuriating.

I mean, is it even fixable? I don't want to think that Sony would skimp out on the hardware and that it's more of a software thing making them sound that bad?
IMO, you should evaluate them as they are today, not buy them with hopes of future updates. That being said, call quality is definitely a popular issue and I think it will be addressed at some point.
Personally, based on the samples i've heard it's not bad, I'd say even very usable considering that the mucrophones are literary on the side of your head, compared to a phone, let's say, where they're much closer. I think if I were you, I'd get them regardless.

Jul 1, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #764 of 2,999
I got these around a week ago and like them so far. The only wireless earphones I had previously were the Samsung galaxy buds+ and it looks like they will serve different purposes. I'll use the Samsung for the gym and office/commuting uses will be with the Sony.

All my previous wireless earphones have had short stems and I was using some spinfit tips on my Samsung. The Sony is a bit longer so I was able to use the shure black foam tips I had lying around.

They seem to fit well for me and serve all the uses I bought them for so will be keeping them. Battery life seems good where it lasts a full workday and charges pretty fast. I've only made a few calls and the other person didn't seem to have any issues with call quality however this isn't a big concern for me as I don't make that many calls. The ambient sound seems pretty useful so far as I can now hear around me when someone is talking to me when I activate it. I tried the speak to chat option however it seemed annoying since it goes off at times when I didn't mean for it to.

I'll be using these with my galaxy s20+ and luckily it has ldac. I don't really have high expectations for a wireless earphone so don't mind the sound quality. The environments where I'll be using these won't be ideal for sound quality anyway so doesn't affect me if it's not the best. In environments where I want better quality, I'll be using my full sized anyway.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #765 of 2,999
As promised I get back with impressions.

Conected to a Sony STR 1080 using LDAC profile with priority given on Sound Quality, using a CD as source it does feel the difference when playing the same album on iPhone. It's not night and day ofcourse, rather subtle but it's there.

As for Ambient sound mode vs. Transparency on Airpods PRO when circling I can tell you this: It's not useful at all. Very disappointed. The wind blowing near the ears while speeding is getting amplified in such a matter you cannot enjoy what you listen. Even worse, it may happen you don't even hear important ambient sounds around. Never happened to me with Apple Airpods PRO while circling. Now I'm thinking I'll have to get a pair of bone conduction headphones only for that.

With all these said I give up on my search for a lanyard neck strap. At least for now.

Happy listening to all of you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back