Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #766 of 2,999
Anyone else get this sweeping pulsing when music is paused (ANC on)? Happens like every five seconds and getting pretty annoying. FYI, I use LDAC.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #768 of 2,999
Jul 1, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #769 of 2,999
Updated price info!

Sony's USA parts distributor/seller, Encompass, now has the XM4's stock hybrid tips in stock. $4.95 each, so it's $9.90 for a pair, plus shipping. So if you like them, now would be a good time to get an extra pair or two. The part numbers/descriptions include the color of the inner section, so make sure you're getting the size you want. For example: 5-025-918-01
EAR PIECE (S) BLACK/ORANGE(WF1000XM4/B).

I like these more than the Comply Isolation+ tips I was using on another set of earphones; they irritate me less and I can wear them for a longer time, plus they seem to be easier to clean. They do isolate more than the Spiral Dots, but they result in (for me anyway) woolier bass and diminished highs, so it's good to have options for different contexts.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #770 of 2,999
Can you put in a link to the site please? Thanks

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #771 of 2,999
Jul 1, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #772 of 2,999
Thank you :). So that is the new foam right?

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #773 of 2,999
Yes, the OEM Sony XM4 tips are hybrid foam/silicone, the three pairs that come in the box.

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #774 of 2,999
what’s the sound like from the XM4’s when listening to softer and more atmospheric music? Like ambient, acoustic stuff? Or maybe more post-rock, classical, more dynamic stuff that requires a lot of details? I know it can handle the heavier electronic music, hip-hop and pop which is one side of my music taste but I also listen to a bunch of other stuff and I want to make sure that I’m buying the right earbuds.

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #775 of 2,999
I don't hear the whooshing sound on my unit with LDAC and ANC on.

The sound with the xm4 is slightly warm with pretty linear mids and highs. The detail retrieval is awesome, it doesn't rely on artificially boosting the highs or mids to reveal details. I literally hear micro details I've never noticed in some of the music I listen to, even at low volume. The mids and timbre come through as extremely natural, so it's good for soft and ambient music. The soundstage is also outside the head. I was listening to a piece of music with distant thunder in it, I was fooled into thinking the thunder was real and I looked around only to realise it came from the buds.

I'm using the xm4 with the original Sony hybrid tips, EQ and reality audio off in the headphones app, on s20 ultra phone with LDAC and YouTube Music premium subscription.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #777 of 2,999
Do y'all reckon they will fix the call quality on the earbuds? I swore that I would only get the new XM4's if they fix the call quality and based on all the call quality samples I've heard it's barely better at all, or a sidegrade because it's a bit better in noisy environments but worse in quiet ones.
I want to buy them because they're a pretty complete package but I honestly rage when people tell me they can't hear me when i'm talking on a $200+ earbud so I have to switch over to the phone, it's pretty infuriating.

I mean, is it even fixable? I don't want to think that Sony would skimp out on the hardware and that it's more of a software thing making them sound that bad?
Call quality are fine on mine

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #778 of 2,999
Finally my set arrived..
My initial impression is using the default foam tips the 1000XM4 sound darker... i changed to my own modded JVC spiral dot tips with foam and it sound so much better... Mids and high all open up.... Need to use LDAC... ACC sucks.... i am not really impressed by the ANC.. using my modded JVC tips already cut of majority of the noise.. The ANC does helps to further enhanced it..

Comparing WF1000XM4 (LDAC) with Soundpeats H1 (APTX ADAPTIVE)... maybe the drivers not yet fully burn in but the SOundpeats H1 beats the SONY up down left right interm of Sound Quality.. Sony SQ is a more balanced SQ where it suit most music types... The H1 bass goes deep and impactful and the high is more crystal clear then the sony. However Sony has a slight edge in term of soundstage.

After listening for few hours.. The Sony wf-1000xm4 is still sounding darker compare to Soundpeats H1. Need to EQ to treble boost.. ANC does further reduce noise.. But dun expect dead silent even with foam tips. Comparing ANC with tronsmart Air+ is a big step up.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #779 of 2,999
Finally my set arrived..
My initial impression is using the default foam tips the 1000XM4 sound darker... i changed to my own modded JVC spiral dot tips with foam and it sound so much better... Mids and high all open up.... Need to use LDAC... ACC sucks.... i am not really impressed by the ANC.. using my modded JVC tips already cut of majority of the noise.. The ANC does helps to further enhanced it..

Comparing WF1000XM4 (LDAC) with Soundpeats H1 (APTX ADAPTIVE)... maybe the drivers not yet fully burn in but the SOundpeats H1 beats the SONY up down left right interm of Sound Quality.. Sony SQ is a more balanced SQ where it suit most music types... The H1 bass goes deep and impactful and the high is more crystal clear then the sony. However Sony has a slight edge in term of soundstage.

After listening for few hours.. The Sony wf-1000xm4 is still sounding darker compare to Soundpeats H1. Need to EQ to treble boost.. ANC does further reduce noise.. But dun expect dead silent even with foam tips. Comparing ANC with tronsmart Air+ is a big step up.
You are not getting proper seal, the ANC is insane, at the top with Bose and big XM4. Not sure what you expect....

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #780 of 2,999
You are not getting proper seal, the ANC is insane, at the top with Bose and big XM4. Not sure what you expect....
I agree that it sounds like a bad seal, or that expectation of utter silence is unrealistic. I do think that one of the secrets to the XM4 is that the passive noise isolation is outstanding, sometimes so good that i can mistake it for ANC on. But when I pay attention I definitely can hear the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back