Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #2,611 of 2,999
You can print out anything if you good at 3d designing but Im not much good at it, so I mainly nick other peoples designs from Thingiverse web site.

But I did design this fuel cap opener for my generator thats really useful and 1 of my better designs, but it took me hrs todo though.... The fuel cap is hard to turn because its so wide and thin that you can't really grip, so with this Ive made I can turn the cap really easy now and Ive stuck it on as it might aswel stay on the cap...
Id be lost without a 3d printer as its so useful..

DSCF8274.JPG

DSCF8272.JPG
That’s really impressive - and useful! I think I may need to get a 3D printer, or better yet one for my youngest son who is extraordinarily creative!

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #2,612 of 2,999
I noticed since the first day that charging the case with the tws inside makes them hot, and overheating is not a good thing if you care about battery life. I charge the case when the xm4 are outside, I don't know if it helped but after 15 months I can still get over 4 hours with anc and ldac on.
Mine only gets warm from wireless charging, and doesn't get warm if charging with cable

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #2,614 of 2,999
I'll just leave here two links for those who have battery drain issues on one of the buds and do not think that "it's chemistry" 😆

https://ap.community.sony.com/s/que...-uneven-and-fast-battery-drain?language=en_US

Watched both his videos & after reading the comments it seems like Sony is covering these out of warranty. I need to contact them myself as I'm experiencing this on the left bud. I wrote about it here but it was just a long rant so I decided not to post it lol. These batteries shouldn't be giving any troubles this early in life.

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #2,615 of 2,999
I have uneven discharge on both my XM4 and LinkBuds S but even the shortest lasting bud lasts longer than Sony promises in the specs

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #2,616 of 2,999
These batteries shouldn't be giving any troubles this early in life.
I don't think batteries should drain at drastically different speed in any TWS, regardless of their age. And if they do then it's a fact that should be known to consumers, so I was kind of surprised at the dismissive reaction here, as if it's nothing, to be frank.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #2,617 of 2,999
I'll just leave here two links for those who have battery drain issues on one of the buds and do not think that "it's chemistry" 😆

https://ap.community.sony.com/s/que...-uneven-and-fast-battery-drain?language=en_US

Well, since I was posting about chemistry and probability I will post that I was clearly wrong when it comes to the identified rapid discharge some XM4 sets are experiencing. While chemistry and probability will play a role in all batteries, the reality seems to clearly be that this is an extreme problem with the XM4. Hopefully it is a problem with Firmware and that an update can address the vast majority of problematic XM4s, and if not I hope that Sony will replace the affected units.

My XM4 set, purchased in the first couple of days after launch, do not suffer from this accelerated discharge, so not all early sets are affected.

Oct 18, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #2,620 of 2,999
Just improved my tips box by making the compartments shallower and bigger as the tips were hard to get out,, and a sliding lid as the foam tips stick to the lid, but now if they stuck to the lid, the tips drop back into the compartments as the lid slides off. Plus you can throw the box about without the lid opening or tips going into the wrong compartments.
And Ive got enough Sonicfoam tips for 15-16 months, as Sonicfoam sent me another 20tips for free just from emailing them feedback :relaxed:

DSCF8435.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,622 of 2,999
I don't think batteries should drain at drastically different speed in any TWS, regardless of their age. And if they do then it's a fact that should be known to consumers, so I was kind of surprised at the dismissive reaction here, as if it's nothing, to be frank.
Here's my battery usage after 2-3 hrs of listening, no ANC but some ambient.. Ive been using the buds about everyday since xmas, but were bought on black friday

IMG_0024.jpg

Oct 19, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #2,623 of 2,999
Watched both his videos & after reading the comments it seems like Sony is covering these out of warranty. I need to contact them myself as I'm experiencing this on the left bud. I wrote about it here but it was just a long rant so I decided not to post it lol. These batteries shouldn't be giving any troubles this early in life.

I've experienced this shortly after being out of warranty. The buds themselves especially the right side drained so fast that it wouldn't last over an hour. The set would warm up during charging. Case would flash red and no longer hold a change. Contacted Sony Support and asked to escalate my case. An out of warranty replacement is in the works.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #2,624 of 2,999
I got my XM4 from Amazon warehouse deals which were advertised as coming without tips, although weirdly they did arrive with 2 L's and 1 S in the box, lol.

The large stock tips gave good ANC but my gosh they were painful. I also had to EQ a lot of brightness into them to make me happy....

I quickly ordered some no-name silicon tips which were "ok", they meant that I didn't have to use EQ anymore to brighten the sound, which was good, but I found I was still putting off wearing them and going back to my old Airpods (non-anc, gen 2) simply because they were more comfortable to wear for long periods

However, I finally gave in and ordered the Sonicfoams in medium... it was like magic as soon as I put them in, they just "disappeared"....

An hour later it still feels the same (i.e. invisible) and my fussy ears are entirely happy without any EQ-ing.

At the same time I also bought a "GIOPUEY Clear Case for Sony WF-1000XM4", which is a simple silicone case (for the case, lol). It fits nicely.

Many thanks @Phil2020 for the headsup about the Sonicfoams!

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #2,625 of 2,999
I got my XM4 from Amazon warehouse deals which were advertised as coming without tips, although weirdly they did arrive with 2 L's and 1 S in the box, lol.

The large stock tips gave good ANC but my gosh they were painful. I also had to EQ a lot of brightness into them to make me happy....

I quickly ordered some no-name silicon tips which were "ok", they meant that I didn't have to use EQ anymore to brighten the sound, which was good, but I found I was still putting off wearing them and going back to my old Airpods (non-anc, gen 2) simply because they were more comfortable to wear for long periods

However, I finally gave in and ordered the Sonicfoams in medium... it was like magic as soon as I put them in, they just "disappeared"....

An hour later it still feels the same (i.e. invisible) and my fussy ears are entirely happy without any EQ-ing.

At the same time I also bought a "GIOPUEY Clear Case for Sony WF-1000XM4", which is a simple silicone case (for the case, lol). It fits nicely.

Many thanks @Phil2020 for the headsup about the Sonicfoams!
With me the sound with the stock tips is muggier then with silicon or the sonicfoam tips.....I really wanted the silicon tips to work as foam doesn't last long at all for me..

But I have no problems with the sonicfoam tips as I can wear the buds all day with no pain at all, and there easier to insert in the ears as there softer and more rounded than the stock tips.. They still work there way out of my ears but only after a few hrs, unlike the silicons that I was having to push back in every few mins.. And its not gonna cost a fortune in tips either, because that was the main reason I wanted silicon tips to work for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back