Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #2,566 of 2,999
Received them today and decided to fiddle with them before I go to sleep. (Quiet dark room, no noise). When cycling through ANC, ambient sound, and off modes, I have a low hiss sound when ambient sound is selected only. I've done the eartip test, left one fits fine, but the right one the app is prompt that I have to keep fiddling with the fit. Anywho, that aside, is that causing the hiss? It's ambient sound mode only it happens

Oct 9, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #2,567 of 2,999
Received them today and decided to fiddle with them before I go to sleep. (Quiet dark room, no noise). When cycling through ANC, ambient sound, and off modes, I have a low hiss sound when ambient sound is selected only. I've done the eartip test, left one fits fine, but the right one the app is prompt that I have to keep fiddling with the fit. Anywho, that aside, is that causing the hiss? It's ambient sound mode only it happens
Noise from the microphones. Typical of ambient modes if their level is high. You could try turning the level down in the app.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #2,568 of 2,999
Ambient mode always gives a bit of hiss as it is taking sound in from the mics

Oct 10, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #2,569 of 2,999
Noise from the microphones. Typical of ambient modes if their level is high. You could try turning the level doen in the app.The volume on the app was max but volume on the phone was min.
Ambient mode always gives a bit of hiss as it is taking sound in from the mics
Ok. I'd have thought to expect a bit from ANC mode aswel. If that's normal than cool.

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2,570 of 2,999
There is a very little hiss with anc when no music is playing

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #2,571 of 2,999
@Phil2020 those tips are "currently unavailable". Guess too many folks on here ordered them. :)

I've done a lot of studying of tips here, and ordered a couple, but now have a specific request: does anyone know of foam or hybrid tips that are more cone-shaped or at least more tapered than the Sony stock tips? I like the additional noise blocking of foam (and use my silicone tips sometimes when I don't need it), but the cylindrical shape of the Sony tips makes them tougher to fit. Those tips @Phil2020 posted looked great, so -- anything similar?

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #2,572 of 2,999
I prefer the more cone and rounded top tips for foam, like the Sonicfoam tips(they could be more cone shaped though) as it makes them easier to get in your ears unlike the tips that the buds are supplied with, as there not very ear friendly tips.

@ringwood All the SONICFOAM tips are still in stock, or they are in the uk anyway...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONICFOAM-Memory-Foam-Earbud-Tips-SF1-Black-5-8-6-5mm-See-chart/dp/B09L7D1Z4V/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=SONICFOAM&qid=1665506269&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjkwIiwicXNhIjoiMy4zNyIsInFzcCI6IjMuMTEifQ==&sr=8-3&th=1

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,573 of 2,999
Ah, I'm in the US, and they are showing as unavailable. Will check back.

Yeah, the stock large tips seal for me, but the buds also stick out of my ears farther than I would like. (Have not had one fall out yet but am careful.) It feels more like the end of the cylinder is mashed over my ear canal opening. The smaller sizes go further in but don't really seal.

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #2,575 of 2,999

Yeah, the stock large tips seal for me, but the buds also stick out of my ears farther than I would like. (Have not had one fall out yet but am careful.) It feels more like the end of the cylinder is mashed over my ear canal opening. The smaller sizes go further in but don't really seal.
If your ear canals are relatively shallow, you could try de-cored air pod pro tips. Thats what I use.

IMG_20210730_205508.jpg

Edit: small size de-cored app foam vs medium stock sony.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,576 of 2,999

The stock tips dont fall out for me either and thats thing about foam, they are grippier then silicon and you need that with these buds as there heavy.. But for me the stock tips makes the sound muggier and there a ass to get in too.. Those tips looks better than my Sonicfoam tips @assassin10000 ,, more coneshaped, but because my tips are quite large hightwise I can only feel the tips in my ears and not the buds aswel pushing against my ears.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #2,577 of 2,999
Going to have a serious analysis tonight since I bought them a few days ago. Haven't had the chance to insert them into my body yet.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #2,578 of 2,999
Besides a quick ANC test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back