Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #2,551 of 2,999
Its not the same... But I was totally happy with the sound from my Melomania buds, but wow its amazing what you get use to. As I started wearing the Melomania buds again after wearing the Sony's for a few months.I cant believe how bad the quality of the Melomania buds were and I really thought they had a decent sound as the only reason I changed them is I didnt like the beige/white colour.. The Sony's really shames the Melomania's.
I have the Melomania touch as well. To me they sound ok, but not as good as the XM4. But the biggest gap is that the Melomania lack ANC. On the plus side, the Melomania are much more comfortable than the XM4.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #2,552 of 2,999
I have the Melomania touch as well. To me they sound ok, but not as good as the XM4. But the biggest gap is that the Melomania lack ANC. On the plus side, the Melomania are much more comfortable than the XM4.
I have the first Melomania's that came out in 2019, they brought out the 1+s after releasing the Touch. Basically the same as the first Melomania's, still the same bullet shape buds, accept charging case now uses USB C and a few other small improvement (not sure about SQ though). My Melomania's Im guessing are lighter then yours as there smaller, and they feel it compared with the Sony's. And thats the only advantage over the Melomania' is that quite often I forget that Im were wearing them and I can literally throw them in my ears within secs and they will stay put, but cant do that with the Sony's, and I much prefer the clicky buttons on the Melomania's too, as there as easy like pressing a keyboard key.. So the Melomania's are my goto buds when I cant be arsed spending like 30+secs putting them in my ears. It doesnt help with having cerebral palsy where Im not completely in control of my muscles. About ANC, I only ever use it on the Sony's when there's alot of noise going on because with ANC or Ambient turned on, the sound becomes more bassier, plus if you use foam tips, they do a pretty good job of blocking out the sounds anyway.

Edit: Ah yeah I could only get about 5-6hrs out of my Melomania's and I can get about 9-10 out of the Sony's

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #2,553 of 2,999
I have the first Melomania's that came out in 2019, they brought out the 1+s after releasing the Touch. Basically the same as the first Melomania's, still the same bullet shape buds, accept charging case now uses USB C and a few other small improvement (not sure about SQ though). My Melomania's Im guessing are lighter then yours as there smaller, and they feel it compared with the Sony's. And thats the only advantage over the Melomania' is that quite often I forget that Im were wearing them and I can literally throw them in my ears within secs and they will stay put, but cant do that with the Sony's, and I much prefer the clicky buttons on the Melomania's too, as there as easy like pressing a keyboard key.. So the Melomania's are my goto buds when I cant be arsed spending like 30+secs putting them in my ears. It doesnt help with having cerebral palsy where Im not completely in control of my muscles. About ANC, I only ever use it on the Sony's when there's alot of noise going on because with ANC or Ambient turned on, the sound becomes more bassier, plus if you use foam tips, they do a pretty good job of blocking out the sounds anyway.

Edit: Ah yeah I could only get about 5-6hrs out of my Melomania's and I can get about 9-10 out of the Sony's
I have read how the bullet shaped Melomania are incredibly comfortable. You are spot on saying that the Sony’s are more of a pain to put in so that they are comfortable and seal well. For me I notice the change in sound signature on ANC particularly, but I honestly am less picky in those situations because when I use ANC it’s because I really need it! :)

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #2,554 of 2,999
Anyone who owns the xm4 and The 7Hz Timeless both? Someone told me the xm4 sounds better than these. Wanted to verify if it's true.
I'll be honest I have problems with both pairs as far as SQ, which only EQ seems to help. The Sony's have too much bass that it bleeds in to the mids for me, and the Timeless is the exact opposite where the treble is too sparkly. My M9's sound the most relaxing of the three but not nearly as "fun" as the XM4's. Being that they are TWS I truly enjoy using them more than the timeless. I do however use them connected to my WM1A with the LDAC codec and not with my iPhone.

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #2,555 of 2,999
Well I received the tips and you get alot for £13 plus you can get a free pack if you send a pic and a review

Im so far impressed with these, they slightly tacky so they grip in your ears(they were even tacky enough to stick to the card that was in the box), sound is better then the stock foam tips as the stock tips makes the sound muggier and that was the 1 reason I wanted to try silicon tips first, to get a clearer sound.

Anyway time will tell as they say,, but so far ok and comfortable and there not budging out of my ears.. Heres a few pics

DSCF8260.JPG

Quite a bit bigger then the Melomania's tips and the Melomania tips are large and these new tips are medium.
DSCF8263.JPG

The Sony medium stock tips compared to the medium new ones and as you can see there roughly the same size. The holes in the new tips are quite abit bigger, so Im guessing thats why the sound is clearer and less muggy
DSCF8265.JPG

DSCF8267.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #2,556 of 2,999
I own both the Timeless and the XM4 and no, to me (hearing, personal taste in sound signature, genres), the XM4 do not sound better than the Timeless. But I also don’t expect them to. The XM4 serve a very different purpose as an on the go set - no wires, great ANC. But even with my best effort at fiddling with EQ I cannot get rid of the muddier and less detailed nature of the XM4, and I hear an annoying “metallic” - sorry, just cannot find another word for it - tint to the vocals (especially pronounced on audio books). But, then, I am perfectly ok with that for what I use the XM4. And I use the XM4 much, much more than the Timeless (or any of my other IEMs or headphones).

Everyone is different and I am sure there will be those who feel differently. (They are wrong, but let’s not tell them :xf_cool: )

This is my perception of them as well. For myself personally, the BO beoplay EX have had the best sound signature out of the box and even better when i tweaked them to my preferences

The PI7 were technically as good as the EX or maybe a touch better but they had connectivity issues for me on a few devices esp if I used aptx HD in a busy setting.

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,557 of 2,999
Nightmare continues...
Have to make a second trip to the docs..

Pain returned, now have pressure without earbuds in.. sound is muffled severe headache pain behind eyes.
Constant clicking and ringing in left ear.

Ear doc says that the ear buds are the cause, the shape and fit caused inflammation which inflamed the

Eustachian Tube.​

Great!,,

He told me that to get a good seal the buds have to fit very tight . Which is wrong.

Now the jbl live 2 pros don’t need to be tight and yet anc in those are excellent.

Sony needs to redesign these, you shouldn’t need to ram them tight to get good anc.
No wonder they are so uncomfortable.

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #2,558 of 2,999
Nightmare continues...

Pain returned, now have pressure without earbuds in.. sound is muffled severe headache pain behind eyes.

Ear doc says that the ear buds are the cause, the shape and fit caused inflammation which inflamed the

Eustachian Tube.​

Great!,,

He told me that to get a good seal the buds have to fit very tight . Which is wrong.

Now the jbl live 2 pros don’t need to be tight and yet anc in those are excellent.

Sony needs to redesign these, you shouldn’t need to ram them tight to get good anc.
I don't have to and they are not to me, it's just your ears that are not compatible with the Sony shape. It is a universal fit iem so no surprise that it don't fit everybody equally well.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,559 of 2,999
I'll be honest I have problems with both pairs as far as SQ, which only EQ seems to help. The Sony's have too much bass that it bleeds in to the mids for me, and the Timeless is the exact opposite where the treble is too sparkly. My M9's sound the most relaxing of the three but not nearly as "fun" as the XM4's. Being that they are TWS I truly enjoy using them more than the timeless. I do however use them connected to my WM1A with the LDAC codec and not with my iPhone.
Thanks for the insight. I mostly drive the Timeless with Hipdac, sometimes the bass feels like too much but not the treble. I always use these with bass-boost though.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #2,560 of 2,999
I own both the Timeless and the XM4 and no, to me (hearing, personal taste in sound signature, genres), the XM4 do not sound better than the Timeless. But I also don’t expect them to. The XM4 serve a very different purpose as an on the go set - no wires, great ANC. But even with my best effort at fiddling with EQ I cannot get rid of the muddier and less detailed nature of the XM4, and I hear an annoying “metallic” - sorry, just cannot find another word for it - tint to the vocals (especially pronounced on audio books). But, then, I am perfectly ok with that for what I use the XM4. And I use the XM4 much, much more than the Timeless (or any of my other IEMs or headphones).

Everyone is different and I am sure there will be those who feel differently. (They are wrong, but let’s not tell them :xf_cool: )

And I use the XM4 much, much more than the Timeless (or any of my other IEMs or headphones).
That's the thing, even though I have Timeless and pureplay Z3 I realized I use the z3 a lot more than the Timeless. Just less things to carry with. So I'm looking for a better TWS and get rid of IEMs altogether.

Oct 8, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #2,561 of 2,999
Nightmare continues...

Eustachian Tube.​

Great!,,

I have been using them since their release and it has never caused any issues.

Either you are using the wrong tips that you're sacrificing your health to use these OR IEMs are not for you and you might be better off with just using cans.

Oct 8, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,562 of 2,999
Nightmare continues...

Eustachian Tube.​

Great!,,

Well the sony tips are a bit of a pain to get in, as it takes me a bit of a push to get them in, but if you use silicon tips, they should just slide in as they do for me, but slowly work there way out, as theres no grip holding them in.. Anyway got some different foam tips today, they dont slide in as easy as the silicon's but are easier then the stock foam ones and the sound is improved, because I think the stock tips makes the sound muggier and not as clear then if you use other tips?

It must be about 3-4 hrs I have had the buds in continuiously for and these new foam tips are still really comfy, no pain at all and sounds great. If the buds were lighter I think I would even forget that I were wearing them.

Oct 9, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #2,563 of 2,999
OK guys
been scrouring for alternate tips for w 1000xm4

to recap. besides an ear infection this is where i am at.
sony stock
small tips no isolation ANC non.
Medium virtually same as small.
large anc works fine but i have to push them in far in, which pulls the bulbus part tight against my ear good seal, but feels like a blockage and alot of pressure,
resulting in pain.

now brought the spin cp360
small : no good no anc isolation
medium : as above
large : anc works, just about.
no pain discomfort but... sound weak slightly muffled very tinny.

where do i go from here guys????
i was looking at

TrueGrip™ Pro for Sony True Wireless Memory Foam Earbud Tips​

And

inal Audio Type E Series Silicone Eartips for 3.5mm-5.5mm nozzle SS / S / M / L / LL​

would these be the same as wf..... stock tips?
i need something thats comfy like cp360s buy goes in a little further, so it pulls the ear bud tighter against my ear to make anc good
but more importantly gives me back that bass sound i had with sony stock large foam.
the stock foams sounded bloody marvelous, just tooooo painful.

as you have all guessed iam ne to all this.

also have dbpowermp full unlocked version from a year ago, dot htink i have used it.
would this be useful ? with it being highly config...

thanx in advanced
I use final type E tips on my xm4. I love them on it. Retains good low end, silicone type increase in treble but not too much since it's not a wide bore nozzleand, tips are slightly longer than Sony hybrid foam

Oct 9, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #2,564 of 2,999
I use final type E tips on my xm4. I love them on it. Retains good low end, silicone type increase in treble but not too much since it's not a wide bore nozzleand, tips are slightly longer than Sony hybrid foam

just ordered multi mixed pack e tips
see which size will be best
fingers crossed.
silicon suits me better.
them foam tip cause too much pressure.

Oct 9, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #2,565 of 2,999
just ordered multi mixed pack e tips
see which size will be best
fingers crossed.
silicon suits me better.
them foam tip cause too much pressure.
Yeah the sony stock foam tips, but other foam tips are good, Like these I have posted about a few posts up.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09L7D1Z4V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The company sounds like they have just started out, as the sending you another free pack by reviewing them, and if the size dont fit yours ears they will send you another size for free........ Basically there doing therselfs out of money..lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back