Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Feb 13, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #496 of 502
Just checked - they were purchased in September of 2019, not even 18 months ago. They got used when traveling - which I did a lot, air and rail - but nowhere near enough for the batteries to reach a normal end of life state. As I say, they still sound really great, I have no complaints there and the Comply tips really work for me. If they stay at one hour battery life then they really aren't good for traveling - journeys are often 3-10 hours. I guess time will tell if they recover. What would be good to know / find out is if this is normal behaviour if they are in there case and not used for a long time.

It’s not uncommon for TWS to go out after 12-24 months. That was about the average life of the OG AirPods I had. After about 12 months the battery life was about 90 minutes, by 18 months it was 30 minutes. So it’s not unheard of, but most do last closer towards that 24 month period.

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #497 of 502
Thanks. Sounds like they are on their way out I guess. Disappointing. Will keep an eye on them and see where it goes.

Wondering what the "4s" will be like. Also, the yet to be launched KEFs looks interesting. The new Audeze's look great but are way outside of my price range.

Oh.... my avatar. Was (obviously) from the days when I was part of the Pono team.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #498 of 502
Thanks. Sounds like they are on their way out I guess. Disappointing. Will keep an eye on them and see where it goes.

Wondering what the "4s" will be like. Also, the yet to be launched KEFs looks interesting. The new Audeze's look great but are way outside of my price range.

Oh.... my avatar. Was (obviously) from the days when I was part of the Pono team.

It will be interesting to see what the 4’s are like. Though they’ll likely have similar battery issues, but it’s not guaranteed. Some people’s TWS will last them 2+ years before they start running into issues. Others will see theirs only last 1-2 years which is a shame. Part of it is the luck of the draw which is unfortunate.

The Audeze isn’t truly wireless (TWS), it’s still a wired headphone. If you want to make them TWS, you’d have to buy something like the FiiO or Shure TWS MMCX adapters (80 and 180 dollars, respectively). But the nice thing about such adapters is that they work with any headphone so they could make some stellar TWS headphones if done properly (+ EQing built in; FiiO’s 10-band is decent).

I remember when Pono released, long time ago. Didn’t really keep up with what ended up happening with it.

May 11, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #499 of 502
Just checked - they were purchased in September of 2019, not even 18 months ago. They got used when traveling - which I did a lot, air and rail - but nowhere near enough for the batteries to reach a normal end of life state. As I say, they still sound really great, I have no complaints there and the Comply tips really work for me. If they stay at one hour battery life then they really aren't good for traveling - journeys are often 3-10 hours. I guess time will tell if they recover. What would be good to know / find out is if this is normal behaviour if they are in there case and not used for a long time.
I hardly come here, but with Last updates, if you use DSEE HX with EQ it rallye sortent batteries life...also ANC is enabled by default

May 20, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #500 of 502
This is one of the major issues with TWS headphones. Their battery life isn’t the most stellar (and I mean that from a longevity point of view). Most batteries have a number of cycles before they wear out, typically around 3-500 or so (it may have improved). So take the battery life of the TWS (without the case) and multiply that by 3-500 and you get an approximate number of hours you can run on them max (not including the drain from standby). So we have a quoted battery life of 6 hours (which may decrease with use), that multiplies out to 1800-3000 hours of total runtime. Say you use them for just 2 hours a day, that’s 900-1500 days of total life (3-5 years essentially). However, if you use them more than 2 hours a day, say closer to 4 or 5, then you start seeing the tolls hit in just 1-3 years before the battery is considered depleted. Getting the battery to last longer would require better battery tech (which can only get so good chemically) or more efficient headphones (very possible to do).

Edit: my OG AirPods lasted maybe 1½ years before the battery went to trash. My pros have been getting swapped out just about every year due to the ANC issues. We’ll see how long they last after the warranty runs up. Though the OG AirPods had a 4 hour battery life (vs 6 of the Sony), I think the Pro is the same (don’t remember off hand though).
its worse on tws battery actually, as they have puny sized battery, and battery life degredation are caused and counted more by the leftovers MaH count than the hours. and as those TWS usually have like 100 MaH or something, well they degrade fast. and if you activate ANC, DSP, Ambient sound often and for long hours, well that cuts into battery life even faster.
Honestly, buy TWS for ones with unique features, ie ANC, Water resistance, etc, that cant be copied by using a TWS adapter, otherwise, buy a cheap Chifi IEM and rebuy the TWS adapter when it went kaput. cheaper, and definitely would sound better for the duration of its usage.

May 20, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #501 of 502
its worse on tws battery actually, as they have puny sized battery, and battery life degredation are caused and counted more by the leftovers MaH count than the hours. and as those TWS usually have like 100 MaH or something, well they degrade fast. and if you activate ANC, DSP, Ambient sound often and for long hours, well that cuts into battery life even faster.
Honestly, buy TWS for ones with unique features, ie ANC, Water resistance, etc, that cant be copied by using a TWS adapter, otherwise, buy a cheap Chifi IEM and rebuy the TWS adapter when it went kaput. cheaper, and definitely would sound better for the duration of its usage.
I always thought it was charge cycles, hence why I converted charge cycles to time and did life that way. It still results in smaller batteries being worse than a larger battery (which has a longer life).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back